DAMN!!!!! somebody help 95 5.0 idling prblms - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

DAMN!!!!! somebody help 95 5.0 idling prblms

Look I'm tired of this mustang. I have put $1000s into it, my idling keeps going up and down,i just change the plug wires the spark plugs are fine. i also change the intake air temp, and I have 70mm throttle body, no codes pertaining to air intake, so im guessing tps, idle air control valve is fine i think i have replace everything involve with air intake. I aslo get this rattling sound whenever i press the accelaretor. somebody, anybody, everybody plz help me i love this car and I have put to much money in it to sell it. if you have experience this or know what the problem is hit me up asap.
durtyred69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
the tps is checkable you can test voltage on it. did you check fuel pressure, pip, coil, vacuum leaks,egr, and injectors?
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Yea first thing I'd do is check for vacuum leaks u can spray starting fluid or something over the lines and the intake and see if it levels out or acts worse. Uve prob tried that but it was just an idea
Maddhatter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: DAMN!!!!! somebody help 95 5.0 idling prblms

new pip installed, coil is good i think. egr was replace about a tear ago, all the things you mention have been replaced at some point except the injectors. thats what im begining to think it injectors how can i check. by the way i have a msd dizzy which is rubbing against the fuel rail because of how its made. also check for vac. leaks but where should i be looking for this leak pertaining to this idling problem
Old 05-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
vacuum leaks: around intake, any vacuum lines, and injector o rings

you can use a noid light to make sure they are firing. did you check fuel pressure?
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Has it been tuned? Could be in the tuning.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Bbk: coldair intake,70mm throttle body, shorty headers, rest Of exhaust is pypes system with x–pipe msd dizzy, msd coil, so what kinda tune are you talking about cause I don't have a chip?

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Oh also bbk fuel prssre regulator (adjustable) , bbk fuel pump 255iph

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

How do I check for vacuum leaks?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #8

Region: California
Im having the same problem with my car but mine is stock I only tried changing the idle control valve if you can figure it out let me know maybe its the same problem
5point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Gotcha didn't know if u did or not. Just throwing ideas out there is all
Old 05-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
You may need a dyno tune!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtyred69 View Post
new pip installed, coil is good i think. egr was replace about a tear ago, all the things you mention have been replaced at some point except the injectors. thats what im begining to think it injectors how can i check. by the way i have a msd dizzy which is rubbing against the fuel rail because of how its made. also check for vac. leaks but where should i be looking for this leak pertaining to this idling problem

That leads me to think that it is leaking around the injector O-rings.
Get an o-ring & pintle cap kit, replace all of the o-rings and caps making sure you get all of the old o-rings out of the holes in the intake and fuel rails.
Fix the rubbing issue. Post up some pics for suggestions as to how.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I'd spray something around them first just to see if it is that or not hate to spend that time and money for nothing.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

How much does dyno cost on average?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Well around here just to get it dynoed it's $60 for three pulls. To tune and stuff I really dnk
Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddhatter88 View Post
I'd spray something around them first just to see if it is that or not hate to spend that time and money for nothing.
You're talking about $20 and and hour or two's work at best.
Spraying may or may not produce any viable results as the the engine vibrates and jiggles around. Replacing the O-rings and caps provides positive proof that those items can be removed from the list of possible causes.

I have enough years of experience under my belt to have witnessed this exact scenario more than once on various types of vacuum leaks. Don't always assume that just because you sprayed something testing for leaks that it is positively sealed at all times.

Example: A cracked hose can also cause an intermittent, hard to find vacuum leak. I had one that was cracked right off the connection that was impossible to see unless you removed and stretched the hose. At idle while testing it gave no adverse results when sprayed with carb cleaner, but when driving the car down the road the issue was easily discernible. It almost drove me nuts trying to figure it out, till I accidently brushed the hose one day while trying once again to locate the problem. Now I always unplug and inspect each hose when searching for possible vacuum leaks. If I find any cracks or suspicious areas the hose gets replaced.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So where was the vacuum leak in that scenario?
Old 05-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
So where was the vacuum leak in that scenario?
Connection on the intake plenum.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

True. Yea I was not implying that that woul wrk was just throwing ideas out there with what I've learned and stuff lol but guess that's we r all on her is to learn more and stuff lol
Old 05-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Ok those hoses are in good condition, however is the pcv suppose to loose I mean it's snug in place but you can pull it out by grabbing the hose and pulling up. By the way I jus bought plug wires, coil, and ignition module same thing with idle, I guess next thing is check fuel pressure. With all the add ons that I have what should my fuel pressure be?

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

I feel u madhat.... thanks for your input.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ok those hoses are in good condition, however is the pcv suppose to loose I mean it's snug in place but you can pull it out by grabbing the hose and pulling up. By the way I jus bought plug wires, coil, and ignition module same thing with idle, I guess next thing is check fuel pressure. With all the add ons that I have what should my fuel pressure be?

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

I feel u madhat.... thanks for your input.
Yes, the PCV should pull out fairly easily.

Fuel pressure should be 38-40 psi at idle with the vacuum line removed and plugged.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Have you reset your idle according to the procedure in a Chilton's or Haynes manual?
The rattling you mentioned in your first post also makes me think it is "spark knocking" or "detonating" too, so be sure to check and reset your timing if it needs it.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

i set it accordin to the haynes manual i think my mech. set it between 27 and 35 not sure, but people here say 38 to 40 unplug vacuum right and some one else said spark knock also. the timing was set right but mech. said some thing about harmonic balancer maybe spun out or something so even if you set timing right with light because balancer is bad timing will never be right so can that be the problem cause i check timing alot and it reads correct. your thoughts
Old 05-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by durtyred69
i set it accordin to the haynes manual i think my mech. set it between 27 and 35 not sure, but people here say 38 to 40 unplug vacuum right and some one else said spark knock also. the timing was set right but mech. said some thing about harmonic balancer maybe spun out or something so even if you set timing right with light because balancer is bad timing will never be right so can that be the problem cause i check timing alot and it reads correct. your thoughts
If your timing is set that high thats nuts 14 deg should be about max. Also I had the same problem witb my idle changed everythjng imaginable. Then I took the throttle body off the whole nine yards and cleaned everything thoroughly when I did my gt40 swap and the problem no longer exsist. So my suggestion is pull everything from your air intake to the top of your intake clean it all very well and as trojan said check for all vacuum leaks. Doing this will pretty much only cost you your own time.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

And with your tiing set that high that will explain your rattling noise.

I posted a link to setting your timeing on a 95 hope this helps lmk.

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/timing.php
87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yes, If your balancer's outer ring has slipped it will show the timing as being way off and if you set it by the marks on the outer ring and it has slipped the timing will be off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack View Post
If your timing is set that high thats nuts 14 deg should be about max. Also I had the same problem witb my idle changed everythjng imaginable. Then I took the throttle body off the whole nine yards and cleaned everything thoroughly when I did my gt40 swap and the problem no longer exsist. So my suggestion is pull everything from your air intake to the top of your intake clean it all very well and as trojan said check for all vacuum leaks. Doing this will pretty much only cost you your own time.
---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------
And with your tiing set that high that will explain your rattling noise.

I posted a link to setting your timeing on a 95 hope this helps lmk.

Checking, Setting and Bumping up your Mustang's Timing
He's talking about fuel pressure I think.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yes, If your balancer's outer ring has slipped it will show the timing as being way off.

He's talking about fuel pressure I think.
Oic I was like wow thats crazy.... The idleing issue is such a pita I struggled for Weeks till I finally just said screw it lol.... When I was at a stop it sounded as if I where staging to drag race lol. When I did my swap I cleaned Everything in and out very well. No problems sense then.
87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by durtyred69
How much does dyno cost on average?
My dyno tune cost me $480 for 3 hours, I already had he SCT chip , if you don't have the chip your looking closer to $550-$650
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #27
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
My dyno tune cost me $480 for 3 hours, I already had he SCT chip , if you don't have the chip your looking closer to $550-$650
That cost and the lack of Rear Wheel Dynos in my area are why I intend to tune my car myself with the PMS.
Trial and error. I'm just praying the errors will be few and not catastrophic during my learning curve.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

« Belt | t 5 swap »