Turbo or nos - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Turbo or nos

What is better for you buck
Krazyk1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Get both
Old 05-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Turbo or nos

Nitrous is ultimately cheaper than a TC system.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr
Get both
^ this ^
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

^ this ^
And hold the f**k on for dear life lol

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

In all honesty though I'd probably spend the 2200 for a Paxton or vortech blower. Spray would run around 8ish with everything and bottle filled. Once a 75hp shot gets slow you'll want a 125 and it don't stop. Refills get high
Old 05-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California

Nitrous is so much cheaper than a Turbo or SC and can give over 100+ HP... But a Turbo and SC will always give more power, for 5x the price though. And remember that you have to refill nitrous bottles (but that is actually pretty cheap)

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

If funds are tight go Nitrous, if you have money then do SC or Turbo. If you have no budget then do Combo-Charging with Nitrous!!!!
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

What all do I have to do with the motor to nos. ne upgrades I would have to do
Old 05-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
With nitrous stock bottom end will hold a 150shot no problem all day long as long as its tuned properly. Anything bigger forged internals is needed.
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
Lmao.. I've had a 250 pill on a stock bottom end!!! These 5.0's can take a beating depending how old, how well built, and some food rings and gaskets... I say spray it with a 100 shot..
Old 05-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyk1879 View Post
What all do I have to do with the motor to nos. ne upgrades I would have to do
I'd run a compression test to determine what kind of shape the engine is in.
Keep it properly tuned for nitrous, don't go over 450-500 HP total and you should be ok.
However, experiences and results vary. You may be able to go way over that and you may blow the engine with a 75 shot. You never really know what someone else may have done to the engine before you got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000 View Post
Lmao.. I've had a 250 pill on a stock bottom end!!! These 5.0's can take a beating depending how old, how well built, and some food rings and gaskets... I say spray it with a 100 shot..

What kind of "food" rings do you use? I like the onion rings myself, but the NOS tends to blow them apart.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

I'd run a compression test to determine what kind of shape the engine is in.
Keep it properly tuned for nitrous, don't go over 450-500 HP total and you should be ok.
However, experiences and results vary. You may be able to go way over that and you may blow the engine with a 75 shot. You never really know what someone else may have done to the engine before you got it.

What kind of "food" rings do you use? I like the onion rings myself, but the NOS tends to blow them apart.
Lmao..
Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000 View Post
Lmao..
Sorry, I couldn't help but to rib you a bit about that.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

What kind of updates is to be done to do
The most spray
Old 05-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyk1879
What kind of updates is to be done to do
The most spray
****** riming, get a colder spark plug and spray already
Old 05-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr

****** riming, get a colder spark plug and spray already
If u don't like the questions I'm asking then don't post on it
Old 05-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
If u don't like the questions I'm asking then don't post on it
Chill, he was joking with you.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Lol.. Yeah he was just joking and he meant ****** the timing..
Old 05-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Lol.. Yeah he was just joking and he meant ****** the timing..
Lmao yeah I should of added the The in there. No harm little buddy.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Wow sorry dude I just want to do something fun with the stang but cheap but also upgradable
Old 05-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Wow sorry dude I just want to do something fun with the stang but cheap but also upgradable
Here, this might interest you -
Old 05-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

How is that stock? Is it weight reduced
Old 05-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I Jus hooked a 100 shot up to mine the other day...colder plugs, timing and/or a good tune for spray, all you need besides the kit
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Hate to busy in on Ur thread but I was just wondering how safe is nitrous with a stick shift. Hotta 5 speed but would like to have nitrous. Is it safe and what would I need to do.
Travis B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Well Travis idk but I'll tell you this much. I have a 5 speed as well. And I've used nitrous before on my auto car. But. Nitrous on a stick makes me nervous. Because the way I've always hooked it up was a arming switch and a WOT switch under the gas pedal or under the hood at the throttle linkage. And I had a nitrous mastermind by Jacobs hooked up with it so one you hit the gas it sprays one stage until its done and that's it cause your foot never comes off floor until you cross the finish line. And what makes me nervous is in a 5 speed every time you shift you let off gas and hit it again. And seems like every time you shift and go back to WOT it would spray again and that would be fine with a very well built motor but with a stock rotating assembly it makes me nervous to shoot it that much back to back. Now all this is just my opinion don't know if thats how it work. But that's why I pretty much all but decided to go with a S/C or turbo set up. May or may not help but I'm sure someone else well set up and give you better in site

---------- Post added at 06:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

But I will be doin more research because like I said all but decided. Because I still have my bottle and thinking about it. So if I can figure out how to only shoot it with a single stage instead of a 3 stage or more I might just put the juice in my five speed
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #25
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Well Travis idk but I'll tell you this much. I have a 5 speed as well. And I've used nitrous before on my auto car. But. Nitrous on a stick makes me nervous. Because the way I've always hooked it up was a arming switch and a WOT switch under the gas pedal or under the hood at the throttle linkage. And I had a nitrous mastermind by Jacobs hooked up with it so one you hit the gas it sprays one stage until its done and that's it cause your foot never comes off floor until you cross the finish line. And what makes me nervous is in a 5 speed every time you shift you let off gas and hit it again. And seems like every time you shift and go back to WOT it would spray again and that would be fine with a very well built motor but with a stock rotating assembly it makes me nervous to shoot it that much back to back. Now all this is just my opinion don't know if thats how it work. But that's why I pretty much all but decided to go with a S/C or turbo set up. May or may not help but I'm sure someone else well set up and give you better in site

---------- Post added at 06:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

But I will be doin more research because like I said all but decided. Because I still have my bottle and thinking about it. So if I can figure out how to only shoot it with a single stage instead of a 3 stage or more I might just put the juice in my five speed
That's some good points you have cap. I think the best way for a manual car might just be to have a button for it instead of a wot switch. But I'm not to familiar with setting up a nitrous system.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #26
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
That's some good points you have cap. I think the best way for a manual car might just be to have a button for it instead of a wot switch. But I'm not to familiar with setting up a nitrous system.
+1
A micro-switch activated by the throttle linkage or foot pedal controlling the nitrous is the way to go.
That way when you get off the gas the nitrous also shuts down, otherwise....BOOM!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. That is exactly what I was thinking.
Travis B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've run NOS, a superchargers and turbochargers over the years. Most here have confirmed that NOS is the most cost effective power adder albeit you have to deal with bottle re-fills and changing your tune if you want to spray it... Someone mentioned NOS with a manual and their concerns. I've had similar concerns and my approach has been to use a double switch to activate. First switch-WOT. Second switch-RPM window switch. Id set the window switch to turn off the NOS a good 200-500 rpm below your shift point. So in a GT you'd change your tune to one that is pre-set for the shot. Open the bottle. Arm the system. As you race once both the 1st and 2nd switches are on, it sprays but once the top of the window is eclipsed then it stops spraying even though you are still WOT. Shift. And so on. Anything can happen but I believe this to be a safe way to spray a manual car. JMS Chip has a nice kit, check them out! Their kit has a controller that handles both switches for you in one controller. Good luck!
Konawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #29
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konawin View Post
I've run NOS, a superchargers and turbochargers over the years. Most here have confirmed that NOS is the most cost effective power adder albeit you have to deal with bottle re-fills and changing your tune if you want to spray it... Someone mentioned NOS with a manual and their concerns. I've had similar concerns and my approach has been to use a double switch to activate. First switch-WOT. Second switch-RPM window switch. Id set the window switch to turn off the NOS a good 200-500 rpm below your shift point. So in a GT you'd change your tune to one that is pre-set for the shot. Open the bottle. Arm the system. As you race once both the 1st and 2nd switches are on, it sprays but once the top of the window is eclipsed then it stops spraying even though you are still WOT. Shift. And so on. Anything can happen but I believe this to be a safe way to spray a manual car. JMS Chip has a nice kit, check them out! Their kit has a controller that handles both switches for you in one controller. Good luck!
Good info, thank you.

I'd forgotten about the RPM activated window switches.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT