Custom jobs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Custom jobs

Any custom work done on u mustang like fiberglass dash of sound systems or any fiberglass mods show some pix I'm really interested in seeing what u have
Krazyk1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Are you only asking about fiberglass?

I don't have custom fiberglass besides the repair on my spoiler. Bit I do have custom: radio delete, subframe connectors, x bracing, rear seats, front seat brackets. And probably a bunch more stuff.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea let's see them I just want to see custom work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Road Trip!

If you can look at my albums or garage all the pics are in there. If not let me know and I will post them up later when I get home.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok yea iv seen some of urs
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Custom jobs

I don't have and I'm unable to get any pictures right now, but a large percentage of my 86 GT is and will be "custom". When I'm able, I plan to document everything I have done and the list is quite extensive. Yes, I am a Mustang modding addict and no I don't want any treatment for the addiction.

If you have any particular areas of interest in modifications that you would like to do to your car, post up what you want to do and we'll see if we can't provide you with pictures and information as to how it would best be accomplished.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
TH you asked lol. But I want to attempt a 4in cowl induction bolt on lexan scoop
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
I don't have and I'm unable to get any pictures right now, but a large percentage of my 86 GT is and will be "custom". When I'm able, I plan to document everything I have done and the list is quite extensive. Yes, I am a Mustang modding addict and no I don't want any treatment for the addiction.

If you have any particular areas of interest in modifications that you would like to do to your car, post up what you want to do and we'll see if we can't provide you with pictures and information as to how it would best be accomplished.
Don't you have a handy pic of your torque boxes? I remember seeing them before. And they were pretty impressive.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78 View Post
TH you asked lol. But I want to attempt a 4in cowl induction bolt on lexan scoop
Yeah, I believe we talked about that. Using the Lexan heater/bender I posted should make that a relatively easy project once you get the measurements figured out. Cut, mark and bend. P.S. That's going to be really cool and I can't wait to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Don't you have a handy pic of your torque boxes? I remember seeing them before. And they were pretty impressive.
Those are on an old hard drive. I need to transfer that stuff to this PC, but it's just never been at the top of my list. Now, if I could just remember which hard drive (I have dozens ) and where I put it.......
If I posted some before they should be on the forum somewhere, I'll have to see if I can locate them.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
I made my own...my dad owns plex products unlimited..soon to be mine..I got the hook ups
89 5.0 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yeah, I believe we talked about that. Using the Lexan heater/bender I posted should make that a relatively easy project once you get the measurements figured out. Cut, mark and bend. P.S. That's going to be really cool and I can't wait to see it.

Those are on an old hard drive. I need to transfer that stuff to this PC, but it's just never been at the top of my list. Now, if I could just remember which hard drive (I have dozens ) and where I put it.......
If I posted some before they should be on the forum somewhere, I'll have to see if I can locate them.
It may be in my thread somewhere. But that maybe just as hard as figuring out which hard drive. Lol. My thread is getting pretty long.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's not as easy as it sounds...take precautions or else you will be wasting a out of money...polly carbon(lexan) is very expensive.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 5.0 stang View Post
It's not as easy as it sounds...take precautions or else you will be wasting a out of money...polly carbon(lexan) is very expensive.
I have worked with Lexan many times in the past and you are right, it is expensive.
However, with the proper tools working with it is very easy IMO.
The hardest part of heating and bending is getting the temperature just right and the bending tools I posted for captain78 makes it a lot easier than other methods.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have worked with Lexan many times in the past and you are right, it is expensive.
However, with the proper tools working with it is very easy IMO.
The hardest part of heating and bending is getting the temperature just right and the bending tools I posted for captain78 makes it a lot easier than other methods.
Ya like I said my dad owns his own plex business. He makes just about everything its ridiculous...I've been around plex my whole life and plan on taking over his business one day..but all I know his making a see thro hood is difficult and you may run into problems...

My dad made one out of transparent blue on an 01 mustang with around 500 to the wheels it was awsome I will shoot you some pics when I get out of school and to work...
Old 05-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm gonna try to vacuum form it. Using heating elements and a fiberglass mold of a 4in fiberglass hood and a custom box made for vacuum forming. Kinda like they do for hot tubs.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Well I'm gonna try to vacuum form it. Using heating elements and a fiberglass mold of a 4in fiberglass hood and a custom box made for vacuum forming. Kinda like they do for hot tubs.
All the power to you
Old 05-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ya like I said my dad owns his own plex business. He makes just about everything its ridiculous...I've been around plex my whole life and plan on taking over his business one day..but all I know his making a see thro hood is difficult and you may run into problems...

My dad made one out of transparent blue on an 01 mustang with around 500 to the wheels it was awsome I will shoot you some pics when I get out of school and to work...
An entire hood would be extremely difficult.
But I believe he is just making the cowl induction scoop which will be much easier.
I'd love to see the pics too.

Quote:

That will be really cool! Take your time, get it perfect and you may have the beginnings of a well paying business.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

We gonna see I can get a sheet of polycarbonate for $100 from home depot but I think the sheets they have is to thin
Old 05-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
We gonna see I can get a sheet of polycarbonate for $100 from home depot but I think the sheets they have is to thin
3/16" or 1/4" Would probably be best for your purposes.
I think anything thinner would flex and vibrate too much.

I used 1/16" to replace the glass in my fiberglass hatch, but it's relatively flat and fastened down with screws every 1 1/2".

P.S. I used to get mine from a place called ACI Plastics, maybe look them up and check prices.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Well do thinks
Old 05-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

3/16" or 1/4" Would probably be best for your purposes.
I think anything thinner would flex and vibrate too much.

I used 1/16" to replace the glass in my fiberglass hatch, but it's relatively flat and fastened down with screws every 1 1/2".

P.S. I used to get mine from a place called ACI Plastics, maybe look them up and check prices.
Where do you get fiberglass hatch?
Quball19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quball19 View Post
Where do you get fiberglass hatch?
I got mine from HO Fibertrends and my hood from Cervinis.
Both are good quality and fit well.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

But you had to put glass in correct?

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

That is not a bad price on that hatch.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
But you had to put glass in correct?

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

That is not a bad price on that hatch.
Yes, but I used Lexan to save weight and it's a considerable amount of weight too.
That glass is heavy.
Not a bad price at all and if Dave Lanman (last name spelling?) is still there he's a great guy to deal with.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Cool, thanks
Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #26
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Cool, thanks
If you get one post a thread about it and I will go into detail as to how I installed mine.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I will , going to be a bit just put alot into engine. Have to wait for a least couple months.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

How does screws look in your window? Or wait you probably custom something up to look great .. Lol
Old 05-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I will , going to be a bit just put alot into engine. Have to wait for a least couple months.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

How does screws look in your window? Or wait you probably custom something up to look great .. Lol
The screws look great IMO. Gives it that "racecar" look.
Why, yes I did. I even got a compliment from my insurance agent about it.

Pretty simple really. I used strips of the black mastic sealer to seal it down, masked off and painted a black strip around the edges of the Lexan to cover the mastic and the channel it lays in, then used SS self sealing screws to hold it down. You just have to be careful to not over tighten the screws. Never any problems with leaks.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The screws look great IMO. Gives it that "racecar" look.
Why, yes I did. I even got a compliment from my insurance agent about it.

Pretty simple really. I used strips of the black mastic sealer to seal it down, masked off and painted a black strip around the edges of the Lexan to cover the mastic and the channel it lays in, then used SS self sealing screws to hold it down. You just have to be careful to not over tighten the screws. Never any problems with leaks.
Vinyl works better
Old 05-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #30
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Vinyl works better
For what or than what?
Old 05-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I was kinda looking in to doin something in the back hatch I have lil girl that loves to ride the race car she calls it but the car seat don't sit we'll in the back so I was wanting to put like a strut bar from shock to shock with some tie down points so I feel better that she tied downs good
Old 05-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #32
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyk1879 View Post
I was kinda looking in to doin something in the back hatch I have lil girl that loves to ride the race car she calls it but the car seat don't sit we'll in the back so I was wanting to put like a strut bar from shock to shock with some tie down points so I feel better that she tied downs good
That's a good idea and those are available or easily fabricated.
Drive careful, be safe and protect the babies.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's a good idea and those are available or easily fabricated.
Drive careful, be safe and protect the babies.
Well I tried to look for them but I couldn't find them so I was hoping to find a pic of one
Old 05-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #34
Road Trip!

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ck-Tower-Brace

something like this?
Old 05-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

This what ur talking bout
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	286775_588971594458_41703760_32551084_6585721_o.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	52135   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120528_141816.png
Views:	70
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	52136  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120528_141849.png
Views:	78
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	52137  
Jettin Stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT