wanting to know what other mods I should get. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
wanting to know what other mods I should get.

I turned sixteen in September and I used the money I had saved up to buy a 1994 Mustang GT. It is a 5.0L with BBK Short tube headers, BBK X-Pipe, dual 40 series Flowmaster mufflers, a BBK Cold air intake,and a MSD Ignition Coil. The tranny is a 5-Speed with a Steeda Short Throw and 3.73 gears. I have a friend with a 2003 GT with similar mods to mine except it's got 4.10 gears, a tuner, stock headers, and under drive pulleys and he spanks me every time we race. Could someone please tell me what I can do to have a better chance at beating him?!
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Port ur heads and nos
Old 05-26-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
You could do a top end kit ... Like a trick flow ... It's good for 360 hp at the flywheel..
Storm13_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Being sixteen I'm sure your funds are limited. I would maybe invest in making the car look nicer and upgrade interior slowly. You're only sixteen so you need to get more wheel-time before you get a fast car, honestly. I've been driving my GT for over a year and it sill surprises me sometimes.

Us young people are too often too confident.

Be happy you bought a kickass car with decent mods already! I'd be excited.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You could upgrade your injectors. MAF TB under drive pulleys. And learn how to shift better. Each of those up grades are around $200 each or you can find a good deal on eBay or Craigslist the HCI upgrade is gonna cost couple grand. You could also find a gt40 head and intake out of junkyard for cheap like $50 cheap and port them would help. And before I get hit up on the learn to shift better I mean that because your friend has 4:10 gears he's gonna jump off the line faster than you so shifting is important for you. To play catch up. Get enough experience in your car to power shift/ speed shift. Which means to shift your car without coming off the gas and quickly pressing clutch and shifting. Start slow cause you won't get it right off its just practice. I'm sure others will have more input on this and good luck. And the is a heck of a car you bought congrats. And as stated above me. Learn your car upgrade when and however you want its a beast of a car now make it yours. Make fit you however that maybe. Welcome to the wide world of mustangs. The most modded cars in the world. Have fun
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
You could upgrade your injectors. MAF TB under drive pulleys. And learn how to shift better. Each of those up grades are around $200 each or you can find a good deal on eBay or Craigslist the HCI upgrade is gonna cost couple grand. You could also find a gt40 head and intake out of junkyard for cheap like $50 cheap and port them would help. And before I get hit up on the learn to shift better I mean that because your friend has 4:10 gears he's gonna jump off the line faster than you so shifting is important for you. To play catch up. Get enough experience in your car to power shift/ speed shift. Which means to shift your car without coming off the gas and quickly pressing clutch and shifting. Start slow cause you won't get it right off its just practice. I'm sure others will have more input on this and good luck. And the is a heck of a car you bought congrats. And as stated above me. Learn your car upgrade when and however you want its a beast of a car now make it yours. Make fit you however that maybe. Welcome to the wide world of mustangs. The most modded cars in the world. Have fun
+1 some good ideas cap

@op make sure you check out the sticky threa title "in the beginning" it has good mods to start out with. even though you already have of them, there is still some good ideas.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: wanting to know what other mods I should get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK View Post
I turned sixteen in September and I used the money I had saved up to buy a 1994 Mustang GT. It is a 5.0L with BBK Short tube headers, BBK X-Pipe, dual 40 series Flowmaster mufflers, a BBK Cold air intake,and a MSD Ignition Coil. The tranny is a 5-Speed with a Steeda Short Throw and 3.73 gears. I have a friend with a 2003 GT with similar mods to mine except it's got 4.10 gears, a tuner, stock headers, and under drive pulleys and he spanks me every time we race. Could someone please tell me what I can do to have a better chance at beating him?!
Cheap mod 1 for faster track times - Lose Weight. Remove anything and everything you do not need before racing. The lighter the car is the easier and faster the engine can accelerate it.

Cheap mod 2 for faster track times - Run a short belt that only spins the water pump and alternator. Saves 2-5 HP. If your battery is really good you could get by with running no belt at all through the 1/4, but you would want to put it back on right after your run to charge up the battery and cool the engine. Potential HP savings 10-20 HP.

P.S. Street racing talk is not allowed, so be sure your racing talk posts are at the track only please.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Your to young to worry about how fast your car is trust me, don't be one of those 16 year olds that dies in a car crash because you wanted to go fast.
1Mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
Being sixteen I'm sure your funds are limited. I would maybe invest in making the car look nicer and upgrade interior slowly. You're only sixteen so you need to get more wheel-time before you get a fast car, honestly. I've been driving my GT for over a year and it sill surprises me sometimes.

I have already upgraded the interior quite a bit. It has brand new leather, a convertible styling bar, I bought and installed all new black carpet, and bought other little things, along with one of my favorites, the reverse moonglow faced gauges similar To those on the SVT Cobras. I have a lot more wheel time than most people my age. I can out drive a lot of older guys that claim to "have been doing this a while." But I am more worried about my acceleration from 0-100 because I drag race on a 1000 ft track and my friend makes my car look stock. I don't always drive like a crazy person, only about 75% of the time! Haha. I respect the power of the car more than alot of other kids my age, I realize the car isn't a toy.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Cheap mod 1 for faster track times - Lose Weight. Remove anything and everything you do not need before racing. The lighter the car is the easier and faster the engine can accelerate it.

Cheap mod 2 for faster track times - Run a short belt that only spins the water pump and alternator. Saves 2-5 HP. If your battery is really good you could get by with running no belt at all through the 1/4, but you would want to put it back on right after your run to charge up the battery and cool the engine. Potential HP savings 10-20 HP.

P.S. Street racing talk is not allowed, so be sure your racing talk posts are at the track only please.
I don't street race. I don't See the point in risking my life and other peoples lives so I can have a little bit of fun. It's selfish. Also, I don't want to remove everything out of the back of my car because that can cause a loss of traction if you have insufficient weight. Correct me if I am wrong but from experience that's what I have seen.

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mustang89
Your to young to worry about how fast your car is trust me, don't be one of those 16 year olds that dies in a car crash because you wanted to go fast.
Like I told the Trojan Horse fellow, I don't risk my life and the lives of others by street racing. It's not worth the risk of me potentially hurting someone else, especially if I was okay and they weren't.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

+1 some good ideas cap

@op make sure you check out the sticky threa title "in the beginning" it has good mods to start out with. even though you already have of them, there is still some good ideas.
I have been learning how to speed shift for the past few months but I occasionally mess up going into third gear. It gets me maybe 1 out of 10 times but it ticks me off when it happens.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Road Trip!

I am pretty sure you can adjust the shifter to dial in your 3rd gear shift. I am not really familiar with your shifter. But there should be a set screw on each side of the base next to the shifter handle. Under those set screws are springs. If you tighten the tight screw a little bit and loosen the left the same amount as you tightened the other one, it should give the shifter more right action to help spring into 3rd easier. If yours isn't like this then never mind the story book
Old 05-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
I am pretty sure you can adjust the shifter to dial in your 3rd gear shift. I am not really familiar with your shifter. But there should be a set screw on each side of the base next to the shifter handle. Under those set screws are springs. If you tighten the tight screw a little bit and loosen the left the same amount as you tightened the other one, it should give the shifter more right action to help spring into 3rd easier. If yours isn't like this then never mind the story book
I will go ahead and try that hear in just a second.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK

I will go ahead and try that hear in just a second.
cool. like i said they may not all be the same. but when i first put my shifter in i had trouble with third. but i finally got it dialed in.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

+1
89 5.0 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
Road Trip!

IMO. of course i dont like street racing. but if he want to mod his car and get involved in a nice drag racing hobby, that is wonderful. i wish i was able to get to the strip when i was that young. and it seems like once people that are into cars, make a few passes they realize how much fun it is. and also how dumb the street racing is. i say mod away. just be responsible and keep it at the track.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
I love the track also its great and so much easier to find good races and not just a junkie ricer needing smoked. The ricers there can usually hold there own.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I don't street race. I don't See the point in risking my life and other peoples lives so I can have a little bit of fun. It's selfish. Also, I don't want to remove everything out of the back of my car because that can cause a loss of traction if you have insufficient weight. Correct me if I am wrong but from experience that's what I have seen.
The street race post was a "friendly" warning that talking about it on here is not allowed.
I never accused you of street racing.

Whether or not you follow my advice is up to you. I'm not going to argue about it or debate with you about it.
You asked "Could someone please tell me what I can do to have a better chance at beating him?"
I told you what you could do inexpensively to improve your chances of doing that.
If you are going to be racing I would hope that you would install better control arms and use drag radials or slicks to improve your traction.

However if you want to load up the rear end of your car with excess weight so you don't lose traction that's your choice. Just don't expect to be winning much.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

The street race post was a "friendly" warning that talking about it on here is not allowed.
I never accused you of street racing.

Whether or not you follow my advice is up to you. I'm not going to argue about it or debate with you about it.
You asked "Could someone please tell me what I can do to have a better chance at beating him?"
I told you what you could do inexpensively to improve your chances of doing that.
If you are going to be racing I would hope that you would install better control arms and use drag radials or slicks to improve your traction.

However if you want to load up the rear end of your car with excess weight so you don't lose traction that's your choice. Just don't expect to be winning much.
Okay, I am sorry for assuming that you were saying I raced on the street. That's my bad. And how do you suggest I get traction on street tires without much weight back there? Other than heating them up.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #18
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Okay, I am sorry for assuming that you were saying I raced on the street. That's my bad. And how do you suggest I get traction on street tires without much weight back there? Other than heating them up.
Getting traction with street tires can be nigh on impossible at times.
It all depends on the compound, but very few people will buy a soft compound tire that doesn't wear well and that's what you need for better dry pavement traction.
Also heating up street tires can go either way. With some it slightly improves traction and others it just makes them greasy and slick reducing the traction.
Your best option is to save up for a set of slicks or drag radials for the track.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Lower the air pressure and some street tires hook better than others.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Replace upper and lower control arms with some good aftermarket ones. Be sure to put in torque box reinforcement kit to make sure that you don't rip out control arms off the body

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

And a good set of drag radials wouldn't hurt.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Lower the air pressure and some street tires hook better than others.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Replace upper and lower control arms with some good aftermarket ones. Be sure to put in torque box reinforcement kit to make sure that you don't rip out control arms off the body

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

And a good set of drag radials wouldn't hurt.
Like Nitto 555r's? And I am assuming I would only need them in the back? I don't see any point in running them up front too. I could just find some mounted on mustang wheels.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #21
Forum Car Trader
Regular

No put some up front it's great when you launch with all four!!!! JK lol.. Yeah put some drag radials or some ET Street drag radials that will solve your traction problem
Old 05-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
No put some up front it's great when you launch with all four!!!! JK lol.. Yeah put some drag radials or some ET Street drag radials that will solve your traction problem
I will go with the front ones first. Then I will move to the back if need be! Haha.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #23
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK

I will go with the front ones first. Then I will move to the back if need be! Haha.
Lmao
Old 05-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Supporter

You guys are joking, but I would love to build an AWD Mustang if I could figure out how to do it, afford to do it, make it handle good and not have it hiked way up in the air.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
No idea either trojan..maybe front drive from earlier sho or I think probes were front drive.
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #26
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Lmao that would be awesome... But I'm sure there is someone who has already done it.. Once u think u have a new idea it's already been done
Old 05-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2222268099.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	52162  
Old 05-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #28
Road Trip!

he said "and not have it hiked way up in the air" but on a side note a friend of a friend use to have one on a bronco frame on 35s. i would take it. lol
Old 05-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #29
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90fox View Post
No idea either trojan..maybe front drive from earlier sho or I think probes were front drive.
That's an idea, but I don't think those would hold up to the HP I'd want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000 View Post
Lmao that would be awesome... But I'm sure there is someone who has already done it.. Once u think u have a new idea it's already been done

No doubt there probably is, but I haven't ran across one yet, but then I haven't really looked for one either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78 View Post
Like this

A bit lower than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
he said "and not have it hiked way up in the air" but on a side note a friend of a friend use to have one on a bronco frame on 35s. i would take it. lol

You and me both.
I must be different because I actually like some of the 4wd, pickup and station wagon conversions I have seen.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT