Freeze out plug - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Freeze out plug

Anybody ever blow one of these out?. Ive never had this happen and ive owned alot of vehicles. I havent jacked it up to be positive but thats my guess so far.
intensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Freeze out plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensive View Post
Anybody ever blow one of these out?. Ive never had this happen and ive owned alot of vehicles. I havent jacked it up to be positive but thats my guess so far.
No, but I have had old engines that were not taken care of very well and had them rust out.
Use brass freeze plugs with some Permatex Aircraft sealer wiped on thinly around the sealing area, keep them as straight as possible when installing them and you shouldn't have any further issues with it.
P.S. Clean out the hole good first.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah when i changed the water pump it was nothing but rust,two bolts broke off was not a good time . I put peak radiator flush in and i think it did a little too much cleaning lol. Only thing i can think of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensive
Yeah when i changed the water pump it was nothing but rust,two bolts broke off was not a good time . I put peak radiator flush in and i think it did a little too much cleaning lol. Only thing i can think of
it may have just been its time with how rusty it was.

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

No, but I have had old engines that were not taken care of very well and had them rust out.
Use brass freeze plugs with some Permatex Aircraft sealer wiped on thinly around the sealing area, keep them as straight as possible when installing them and you shouldn't have any further issues with it.
P.S. Clean out the hole good first.
is it possible to tap the holes and add threaded plugs? i just wasnt sure if A: there was enough room to get at it. and B: if it was to risky to get shavings in the water, or if the water could just be flushed when done.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
P.S ive only owned the car for 5 months so it wasnt my neglect . Just lucky me to have to fix .

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

is it possible to tap the holes and add threaded plugs? i just wasnt sure if A: there was enough room to get at it. and B: if it was to risky to get shavings in the oil, or if the oil could just be fluched when done.
No oil only water

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

Quote:

P.S ive only owned the car for 5 months so it wasnt my neglect . Just lucky me to have to fix .

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

No oil only water
(Coolant rather)
Old 05-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Road Trip!

yeah im on fire today. lol but anyways if you threaded it couldnt you flush the water?
Old 05-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah im on fire today. lol but anyways if you threaded it couldnt you flush the water?
No need to flush now its all in the publix parking lot haha. Funny but it was embarising at the same time . Lucky she brought me home . As for threading it i think that would be hard . But getting a hammer in there to tap it in might be aswell. Ill have to jack it up and see what im up against wish that 351 was rdy id just pull it
Old 05-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post

is it possible to tap the holes and add threaded plugs? i just wasnt sure if A: there was enough room to get at it. and B: if it was to risky to get shavings in the oil, or if the oil could just be fluched when done.
Yes, if your system was badly rusted up, cleaning it may have removed the rust plugging the hole.

Yes, you can thread the holes. I have done that several times over the years and used cast iron plugs (same or close to expansion rate as the block) with recessed square drive holes in them so nothing is sticking out.
However, it is a fairly difficult process that may be nigh impossible to do with the engine in the car. It takes (Don't quote me this is from memory and we know how that can be sometimes.) a 1 1/4" pipe tap and plug.
I read an article years ago in a Hot Rod magazine that said doing this actually helps to stiffen and strengthen the weak 302 blocks. I intend doing this to my engine if/when it is ever out of the car.

Note: 1 1/4" pipe taps are expensive starting at around $130 and up, so renting or borrowing may be a necessity. The plugs run around $5 each.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:

No need to flush now its all in the publix parking lot haha. Funny but it was embarising at the same time . Lucky she brought me home . As for threading it i think that would be hard . But getting a hammer in there to tap it in might be aswell. Ill have to jack it up and see what im up against wish that 351 was rdy id just pull it
well if you tapped i would think that you want to flush it. i just didnt know if that was the way to go with the engine in. a threaded freeze plug is definitly stronger. but i just didnt know if it was possible to get all the shavings out.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Quote:

Yes, if your system was badly rusted up, cleaning it may have removed the rust plugging the hole.

Yes, you can thread the holes. I have done that several times over the years and used cast iron plugs (same or close to expansion rate as the block) with recessed square drive holes in them so nothing is sticking out.
However, it is a fairly difficult process that may be nigh impossible to do with the engine in the car. It takes (Don't quote me this is from memory and we know how that can be sometimes.) a 1 1/4" pipe tap and plug.
I read an article years ago in a Hot Rod magazine that said doing this actually helps to stiffen and strengthen the weak 302 blocks. I intend doing this to my engine if/when it is ever out of the car.

Note: 1 1/4" pipe taps are expensive starting at around $130 and up, so renting or borrowing may be a necessity. The plugs run around $5 each.
gotcha.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
well if you tapped i would think that you want to flush it. i just didnt know if that was the way to go with the engine in. a threaded freeze plug is definitly stronger. but i just didnt know if it was possible to get all the shavings out.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

gotcha.
To minimize losing the shavings inside the block you can fill the flutes of the tap with a thick grease to trap the shavings or just use a small magnet with a spring handle to fish them out afterwards.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh no dont get me wrong once sealed again i will flush it that was my intention when i put the peak in. But just thought id share a embarassing moment with ya. Interesting , now im not sure wich way togo might have to jack the motor up to get at it?

gotcha.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Quote:

To minimize losing the shavings inside the block you can fill the flutes of the tap with a thick grease to trap the shavings or just use a small magnet with a spring handle to fish them out afterwards.
Shavings should not hurt the cooling syst would it?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
You don't want the shavings flying through your waterpump, heads, block, hoses, heater core do ya?

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX
You don't want the shavings flying through your waterpump, heads, block, hoses, heater core do ya?
Natrually, I meant after the flush they would be removed. Correct?

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Unless you mean during the flush that is?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
My bad, I thought you meant you weren't going to flush it when you said the shavings shouldn't hurt the cooling system.

It shouldn't hurt it, but I would try to keep as much from falling into it as you can or removing as much as you can before the flush.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

You'd want to get out as many shavings as is humanly possible.At best they would remain laying in the bottom of the block and eventually rust away, but they could possibly get carried through the system and plug up small vent holes in head gaskets or into the water pump and damage the seals.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT