Mustang Evolution Forum banner

engine temperature?

4K views 42 replies 9 participants last post by  Trojan Horse 
#1 ·
what temperature should my motor be at? because i just hooked up my aftermarket temp gauge and it read about 200 15 minutes after i shut it off is that too high or about right

#34 ·
alright thanks ill do that tomorrow after school and check the oil pressure and see if it goes back up and hopefully the engine temp will cool down a bit is it bad if i have water not antifreeze in there for the summer? i know its bad in the winter but what about the summer any differnece?

#35 ·
93_347foxbody said:
alright thanks ill do that tomorrow after school and check the oil pressure and see if it goes back up and hopefully the engine temp will cool down a bit is it bad if i have water not antifreeze in there for the summer? i know its bad in the winter but what about the summer any differnece?
I'm not sure of the exact science. But I would put a 50/50 mix in it. It may help some but I doubt it will solve any problems. It may evaporate slower also.
As for the oil pressure. It may help keep you from being to low, but will also not solve any problems if there are any or not. We will see though.

#38 ·
Under 10 PSI is a sign of bad bearings, to much clearance and you lose oil pressure at low RPM's.Being low on coolant and oil sure is a bad sign.
It doesn't matter how long either of you had it after being rebuilt, maybe it was not rebuilt properly or at all?
Antifreeze helps the water cool better and keeps your system from corroding always run a 50/50 mix.
Get the fans fixed if it isn't to late already. Overheating your engine can take the temper out of your rings and it will start burning oil soon after.

#43 ·
Old wives tale. There are no lubricants per se, in antifreeze.
Modern water pumps and seals don't need lubrication.
The antifreeze does help cut down on cavitation though and that can eat up the stamped steel impellers fairly quickly. :good:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.