Msd box - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Msd box

So I know that either they work or it doesn't work. However, what are some symptoms that it's not working can they vary? What I have going on is the feeling of lost timing the exhaust note has changed it back fires from the carb on first start up and you can see like specs of fuel shooting from the carb. I changed the carb and it ran a little better but still the exhaust note is the same and loss of power and still backfires from the carb. Any ideas?
351mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Definitely sounds like a timing issue. If you go to msd website there are testing procedure for the box. And also testing procedures in the sticky section.
What I would do is check your timing. Then if that don't help call msd and they will walk you through the testing procedures If needed. If they box is bad they will repair it from minimun 30$ to max 80$.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Definitely sounds like a timing issue. If you go to msd website there are testing procedure for the box. And also testing procedures in the sticky section.
What I would do is check your timing. Then if that don't help call msd and they will walk you through the testing procedures If needed. If they box is bad they will repair it from minimun 30$ to max 80$.
Ok thanks, also this all started when I used higher octane I didn't think that could effect anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351mustang

Ok thanks, also this all started when I used higher octane I didn't think that could effect anything.
I doubt it but I suppose its possible. Definitely check your timing.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Just a guess if it is the fuel, your timing is probably retarded to much.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #5

Region: Arkansas
Tfi module
kylelvlss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylelvlss
Tfi module
I'm not positive of his setup. But he is probably not running the tfi module with the carb.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

I'm not positive of his setup. But he is probably not running the tfi module with the carb.
Im pretty sure ive never seen thin film ignition in a carbed set up but i could be wrong.

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

I had a 74 f100 that would spit fire up out the carb . And it was the timing just as dream stated above
intensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I'm thinking timing but not from the distributor right I mean that can't jump timing can it? The bolt is secure I checked that first to see if it was loose
Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
That's what I'm thinking timing but not from the distributor right I mean that can't jump timing can it? The bolt is secure I checked that first to see if it was loose
Yes..it can ask Dreamstang bout that one!..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
I have lots of posts in my thread but I just had a similar problem. It was because I was getting intererance on my distributor wires. If you feel like reading it, it should be within the last few pages of my thread titled " what it takes" . Thread was posted on within the last few weeks so if you scroll down a few pages in this section you should be able to find it.

I still stay check timing. If it is off, reset it. Then Mark the distributor so you can rule that out if your timing moves again. Then if it does move again, msd tech will help you verify if the box is bad. And like I said before they are pretty cheap to repair versus buying a new one.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Also what kind of distributor do you have. If its mechanical/centrifigul advance type there is a chance that the advance mechanism is getting worn. If the other thing I suggested check out ok and you still have problem, you maybe able to put new springs in the advance if you have that type.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have lots of posts in my thread but I just had a similar problem. It was because I was getting intererance on my distributor wires. If you feel like reading it, it should be within the last few pages of my thread titled " what it takes" . Thread was posted on within the last few weeks so if you scroll down a few pages in this section you should be able to find it.

I still stay check timing. If it is off, reset it. Then Mark the distributor so you can rule that out if your timing moves again. Then if it does move again, msd tech will help you verify if the box is bad. And like I said before they are pretty cheap to repair versus buying a new one.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Also what kind of distributor do you have. If its mechanical/centrifigul advance type there is a chance that the advance mechanism is getting worn. If the other thing I suggested check out ok and you still have problem, you maybe able to put new springs in the advance if you have that type.
It's centrifugal but I forget the model number it's the one that says its specifically for the 351w victor jr intake which I have.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:

It's centrifugal but I forget the model number it's the one that says its specifically for the 351w victor jr intake which I have.
If its old the spring could be worn. But for starter reset timing. Sorry if I sound like a broken record.lol But that's the first step to trouble shooting this.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If its old the spring could be worn. But for starter reset timing. Sorry if I sound like a broken record.lol But that's the first step to trouble shooting this.
Just read the post. I will investigate that very well could be my issue which was stated in your thread" what it takes" I've had some issues with things vibrating lose ( not to happy with my engine builder) as we speak my car has been sitting there now for two weeks waiting for him to look at this issue as well as tighten everything up. Think it's time to move on from him
Old 05-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:

Just read the post. I will investigate that very well could be my issue which was stated in your thread" what it takes" I've had some issues with things vibrating lose ( not to happy with my engine builder) as we speak my car has been sitting there now for two weeks waiting for him to look at this issue as well as tighten everything up. Think it's time to move on from him
Sounds like it. One other thing to remember. I carbed motors take a little bit more maintenance that an efi system. Good luck man. If you need anything else or can think of anything else let us know. I definitely let us know what you find out.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well I dropped a valve : sigh:
Old 07-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Msd box

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351mustang View Post
Well I dropped a valve : sigh:
Is your engine builder going to cover that?

Note: I'd replace all of the valve spring locks and retainers with 10° locks and retainers.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Is your engine builder going to cover that?

Note: I'd replace all of the valve spring locks and retainers with 10° locks and retainers.
Yeah he is
Old 07-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #18
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Msd box

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351mustang View Post
Yeah he is
That's good.

Did the valve pull through the retainer, break or what?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

That's good.

Did the valve pull through the retainer, break or what?
He just pulled the cover so we aren't sure the extent of the damage

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT