Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Coil packs/distributer caps

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Trojan Horse 
#1 ·
Kay this is a more generalized question because I'm asking about my 01 v6 but it seam to be all the brains are on this thread.. I was thinking about getting a performance coil pack (screaming Demond) and a guy said he has and it help but he also said he was running a .065 gap (spark plugs) when stock calls for a .054... Ever heard of running diffrent gaps for diffrent packs or anything of the sort.. An info helps!!

#2 ·
If you have aftermarket ignition parts you can get away with a hair bigger gap. But I personally don't see it necessary to go that big.

The theory behind a bigger gap is to get the spark more exposed to the fuel mixture. But when you run to large of a gap a risk not making the spark and are putting your ignition sources to harder work.

#3 ·
+1

the larger gap will make the ignition system pull more amps. it can hurt the battery/alternator depending on the power draw. (i know cause i done it...lmao!)

thats an old school racer thing. mainly for keeping the plugs from fouling out at idle and low rpm cause of really large cam, on carbed cars. not necessary with todays igniton systems and efi.

#4 ·
svtlx said:
+1

the larger gap will make the ignition system pull more amps. it can hurt the battery/alternator depending on the power draw. (i know cause i done it...lmao!)

thats an old school racer thing. mainly for keeping the plugs from fouling out at idle and low rpm cause of really large cam, on carbed cars. not necessary with todays igniton systems and efi.
This guy claims to get better mpg with the screaming Demond coil pack.. But I don't want to hurt anything

#5 ·
The Screaming Demon website claims better mileage and they tell you to open the gap up to .060 - .065, but like dreamstang and svtlx said it is harder on your ignition system. I'd keep it at the stock gap or just a few thousandths over at the most. To get the full benefits you should probably add the plug wires too.

I just read an article in a HP Mustang Performance Engine Tuning book where they installed the complete Screaming Demon Ignition (coil, module, cap, rotor and wires) on a stock Fox Body Mustang and picked up 3 HP and 3 ft lbs or TQ at the rear wheels on a dyno, so they proved it does help, BUT the 01 ignition is probably more efficient than the Fox Body ignition, so your results may be less or even non existent.

#6 ·
Trojan Horse said:
The Screaming Demon website claims better mileage and they tell you to open the gap up to .060 - .065, but like dreamstang and svtlx said it is harder on your ignition system. I'd keep it at the stock gap or just a few thousandths over at the most. To get the full benefits you should probably add the plug wires too.

I just read an article in a HP Mustang Performance Engine Tuning book where they installed the complete Screaming Demon Ignition (coil, module, cap, rotor and wires) on a stock Fox Body Mustang and picked up 3 HP and 3 ft lbs or TQ at the rear wheels on a dyno, so they proved it does help, BUT the 01 ignition is probably more efficient than the Fox Body ignition, so your results may be less or even non existent.
+1
I guess all these people are claiming to pull 30mpg+ out of there sixers and I'd sure like to know how. Unless they don't no how to calculate because the best I've ever seen from mine is 26.. So im looking for little things that might help and someone said coil packs.. Anything other ideas from the brains of the foxbody geniuses. ;)

#7 ·
sixpac said:
+1
I guess all these people are claiming to pull 30mpg+ out of there sixers and I'd sure like to know how. Unless they don't no how to calculate because the best I've ever seen from mine is 26.. So im looking for little things that might help and someone said coil packs.. Anything other ideas from the brains of the foxbody geniuses. ;)
It's still not a bad idea to upgrade the coil. Doesn't mean you have to run some large plug gap. The best thing you can do is keep it properly maintained. Like fuel filter, injector cleaner, air filter, wires, plugs, etc etc. And even more importantly what effects mpgs the most is how you drive it.

#8 ·
Keep your air filter clean, your tires properly inflated and don't carry around a bunch of extra weight. Those and good driving habits will net you the best mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.