Another dumb guestion - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blanco005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 23
Another dumb guestion

Is a c4 tranni a big deal??
Blanco005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
If you want mpg it is lol it's a three speed w/ no OD
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
It's not too bad on mpg if you have lower numerical gears like 2.73 or 3.08's. But yes it's basically an aod without 4th like deadspot said.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
I love my c4... I have 327 rear gear and at 65mph I turn 2800rpm's
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Another dumb guestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000 View Post
I love my c4... I have 327 rear gear and at 65mph I turn 2800rpm's


.......and burn way more gas than you have to.


A built AOD is the way to go, then you still have the OD gear to save you some fuel mileage.
Like they said an AOD is nothing more than a C4 with an OD gear.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blanco005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 23
So it Gud or bad ??? I have a 5.0 engine with a 1/4 cam will it put it to the blacktop
Blanco005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
What everyone is saying. As that you may as well get an aod. The c4 is ok but you will not have the overdrive gear which will affect you gas milage. If you don't care about gas milage and can find a deal on one then its ok for you. But most people will go for the Aod unless they build up a c4 for racing purposes.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
I disagree the c4 can be built much stronger if you have the money to drop on a PA supercomp c-4 it will have all the upgraded internals. Extra light casing it's the best racing transmission for ford.. If you are raving you don't have to do do any extra shifting to make sure it stays in 2nd.. When the light turns green just hold on!!!

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

Note: the reason I say the AOD is almost as good as the C4 is that above 500 hp the AOD must use a solid input shaft which does away with the locking converter. You end up with a very loose converter (because of the high stall speed) that generates much more heat than the C4 (2 - 3 times as much) because of the OD.

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

So that being said for street car choose AOD but if u wanna race I like the c-4's
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
I disagree the c4 can be built much stronger if you have the money to drop on a PA supercomp c-4 it will have all the upgraded internals. Extra light casing it's the best racing transmission for ford.. If you are raving you don't have to do do any extra shifting to make sure it stays in 2nd.. When the light turns green just hold on!!!

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

Note: the reason I say the AOD is almost as good as the C4 is that above 500 hp the AOD must use a solid input shaft which does away with the locking converter. You end up with a very loose converter (because of the high stall speed) that generates much more heat than the C4 (2 - 3 times as much) because of the OD.

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

So that being said for street car choose AOD but if u wanna race I like the c-4's
You do not have to do the 1-2 shuffle anymore
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
I disagree the c4 can be built much stronger if you have the money to drop on a PA supercomp c-4 it will have all the upgraded internals. Extra light casing it's the best racing transmission for ford.. If you are raving you don't have to do do any extra shifting to make sure it stays in 2nd.. When the light turns green just hold on!!!

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

Note: the reason I say the AOD is almost as good as the C4 is that above 500 hp the AOD must use a solid input shaft which does away with the locking converter. You end up with a very loose converter (because of the high stall speed) that generates much more heat than the C4 (2 - 3 times as much) because of the OD.

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

So that being said for street car choose AOD but if u wanna race I like the c-4's
Makes sense.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Another dumb guestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000 View Post
I disagree the c4 can be built much stronger if you have the money to drop on a PA supercomp c-4 it will have all the upgraded internals. Extra light casing it's the best racing transmission for ford.. If you are raving you don't have to do do any extra shifting to make sure it stays in 2nd.. When the light turns green just hold on!!!
---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------
Note: the reason I say the AOD is almost as good as the C4 is that above 500 hp the AOD must use a solid input shaft which does away with the locking converter. You end up with a very loose converter (because of the high stall speed) that generates much more heat than the C4 (2 - 3 times as much) because of the OD.
---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------
So that being said for street car choose AOD but if u wanna race I like the c-4's
Sure, race only use a C4. That makes sense just to save the weight difference over an AOD.
But since he has a street car he would be much better off with the AOD as you said.


Best transmission for Ford?
For race only I would personally prefer a clutchless manual transmission with an air or electric shifter set up, but $$$$$$.$$.
Completely programmable, timed shifts.
More and better gearing choices.
Less heat buildup and power loss.
Much better longevity and durability.
And I love the whine of the straight cut gears.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
Wow.. That's prob a $8k setup... If only I had deep pockets..
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Wow.. That's prob a $8k setup... If only I had deep pockets..
He likes to make us :drool:
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Another dumb guestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000 View Post
Wow.. That's prob a $8k setup... If only I had deep pockets..
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
He likes to make us :drool:
Or more by the time you get the clutch set up to go with it.. I'm only dreaming.


BUT, sometimes you can get lucky.
I always have my eyes peeled for deals, divorce sales etc.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Or more by the time you get the clutch set up to go with it.. I'm only dreaming.

BUT, sometimes you can get lucky.
I always have my eyes peeled for deals, divorce sales etc.
You have to love those divorce sales lol.. that's how I got my current mustang at a ridiculous cheap price
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Another dumb guestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000 View Post
You have to love those divorce sales lol.. that's how I got my current mustang at a ridiculous cheap price
Yeah, they can be quite beneficial, but some poor guy always loses his toys.


I got the deal on my car because the guy bought a new truck he couldn't really afford (what the dealer said). He wanted to keep the truck so I got a bargain on my car. Took 4-5 weeks of haggling, but he started at $12k (what he had in the car with receipts) and I ended up paying $5250 because the dealer and he thought it had blown a head gasket and that the rear end was going out. Turned out the leak was from a cooling system nipple that was capped with a rubber vacuum cap and the rear end noise was just because it had an Auburn Pro differential with no additive in the oil.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
cgarray17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yeah, they can be quite beneficial, but some poor guy always loses his toys.

I got the deal on my car because the guy bought a new truck he couldn't really afford (what the dealer said). He wanted to keep the truck so I got a bargain on my car. Took 4-5 weeks of haggling, but he started at $12k (what he had in the car with receipts) and I ended up paying $5250 because the dealer and he thought it had blown a head gasket and that the rear end was going out. Turned out the leak was from a cooling system nipple that was capped with a rubber vacuum cap and the rear end noise was just because it had an Auburn Pro differential with no additive in the oil.
Dam nice for you lol. My current/first stang was a divorce stang, but i was young and in love with it and payed what he asked which i dont think still wasent bad (5250) I think. Since have droped a lot on it lol
__________________
94 GT Convertible

Current- Stock long block 118k, MAC CAI, 75mm Pro M MAF, PP 70mm TB,BBK shorties,BBK O/R H, Magnaflow catback, KING cobra clutch, 3.73 Gears

Soon to be Vortech blown with a built 306 Numbers and times to follow!!!
cgarray17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #18
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
I paid $5800 for my current 90' gt
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
cgarray17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
I paid $5800 for my current 90' gt
Was it blown when u got it though? Mine was stock except CAI and catback
__________________
94 GT Convertible

Current- Stock long block 118k, MAC CAI, 75mm Pro M MAF, PP 70mm TB,BBK shorties,BBK O/R H, Magnaflow catback, KING cobra clutch, 3.73 Gears

Soon to be Vortech blown with a built 306 Numbers and times to follow!!!
cgarray17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
Exactly the way it sits except it had 2 sets of slicks and skinnies.. Yes 420rwhp fully built trans rear end etc.. The car is show worthy also
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
cgarray17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Exactly the way it sits except it had 2 sets of slicks and skinnies.. Yes 420rwhp fully built trans rear end etc.. The car is show worthy also
See lol now thats nice haha. Mine body and ecerything is in great shape just no power mods haha im doing my blower install in the next few weeks i hope just my first time doing this much by myself so i dont know how long it will take.
__________________
94 GT Convertible

Current- Stock long block 118k, MAC CAI, 75mm Pro M MAF, PP 70mm TB,BBK shorties,BBK O/R H, Magnaflow catback, KING cobra clutch, 3.73 Gears

Soon to be Vortech blown with a built 306 Numbers and times to follow!!!
cgarray17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #22
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
Well it depends.. Which blower are you looking at? I've seen a few with the 8.71.. Or are you thinking about a supercharger?

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------



This I exactly how I bought it.. I've been offered 10k and turned it down..
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
cgarray17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Well it depends.. Which blower are you looking at? I've seen a few with the 8.71.. Or are you thinking about a supercharger?

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------



This I exactly how I bought it.. I've been offered 10k and turned it down..
I got a vortech kit with all the stuff i need, just have to put it all in but i havent done any of it before and my uncle that usualy helps me is going to summer x to work and will be gone the 3 weeks i got off so im going to try it myself.
__________________
94 GT Convertible

Current- Stock long block 118k, MAC CAI, 75mm Pro M MAF, PP 70mm TB,BBK shorties,BBK O/R H, Magnaflow catback, KING cobra clutch, 3.73 Gears

Soon to be Vortech blown with a built 306 Numbers and times to follow!!!
cgarray17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #24
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
It's not to hard.. The only thing is the oil return to the pan.. That's the hard part
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #25
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Well it depends.. Which blower are you looking at? I've seen a few with the 8.71.. Or are you thinking about a supercharger?

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------



This I exactly how I bought it.. I've been offered 10k and turned it down..
I paid 500$ for mine. But 8500$ later its probably not as nice or as fast as yours. You got a Hell of a deal.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #26
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

I paid 500$ for mine. But 8500$ later its probably not as nice or as fast as yours. You got a Hell of a deal.
Thanks.. but yours is the mustang of the month!!!!!
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
captain78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 851
Well I paid $500 for mine and runs pretty fast for stock with only suspension upgrades but mine was a divorce buy it was a barn find. And talks looks a lot better lol.
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #28
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000

Thanks.. but yours is the mustang of the month!!!!!
That is is. Don't get me wrong I love my car. But I love yours to. But hey what am I saying. I love most mustangs. Haha.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #29
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Another dumb guestion

im goin to plus one for the aod. i got a 700hp rated aod with 25-2700stall. and auto/manual shift. no holding second gear. the gear you put it in is the gear your getn. it is an amazing piece.

i run "2" 8-pass coolers, you can beat on it all day and it only gets a lil warmer than ambient.
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:57 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.