T-5 swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
T-5 swap

Ok so I bought a T-5 out an 89 to put in my 94 well come to find out the the T-5 is out a 4 cylinder car and the input shaft where the pilot bearing rides is smaller. So the pilot bearing for the V8 is to big for the input shaft,but the pilot bearing that fits the input shaft won't fit in the 5.0 motor. Has anyone ran in to this issue before and if so how do I get a pilot bearing that will work??
FordRacer_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
A pilot bearing from an old ranger will work. I don't remember the year exactly. But just so you know that trans is geared different and is not as strong. But will be fine for stock to lightly modded.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: T-5 swap

most ppl i know put it in anyway...lol. but you can get the correct input shaft. i think they are 40-60 bucks. and... if u dont already know, make sure u use a fox body input shaft if you use a foxbody bellhousing. a 94-95 t-5 input shaft is too long.... unless of course you have a 94-95 bellhousing. hope this info helps... (if you didnt already know)

also, just know first gear will prolly be pretty short. 4cyl, v8, and v6 t-5's are all geared differntly. i run a 6cyl t-5 with a v8, it takes sum getting use too.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys yea I knew about the bell housing and stuff but do I need a different crossmember?? Or can I use the same one I had??
Old 06-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so I'm thinking I need to change my bell housing and input shaft because my cross member doesn't line up with the transmission mounts?? And ideas any one??
Old 06-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordRacer_51 View Post
Thanks guys yea I knew about the bell housing and stuff but do I need a different crossmember?? Or can I use the same one I had??
Quote:
Ok so I'm thinking I need to change my bell housing and input shaft because my cross member doesn't line up with the transmission mounts?? And ideas any one??
I'm confused.
You said you knew about the bellhousing in the first post and now you are saying that you think you need to change the bellhousing and input shaft?

Most of the cross members I have seen have just a few spot welds holding the cross member in place on the ends. If you cut those loose you can slide the cross member to where it needs to be and re-spot weld it.
Attached Images

Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

No I know if I use the fox body bell housing I must use the fix body input shaft. What I'm saying is that I got everything bolted up and the trans mount does not line up with the cross member. So if I go to the sn bell housing I know I would have to change the input shaft as well. My question is that if I swap Bell housings will that let my mount line up with the cross member??
Old 06-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
No I know if I use the fox body bell housing I must use the fix body input shaft. What I'm saying is that I got everything bolted up and the trans mount does not line up with the cross member. So if I go to the sn bell housing I know I would have to change the input shaft as well. My question is that if I swap Bell housings will that let my mount line up with the cross member??
Ok, I see.

That depends on how far you are off and how much difference there is in the bell housings.
Some quick measurements should tell you what you need to know. If not you can make the changes to the trans mount as described above.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
i think you just arent trying hard enough to get it in lol. im using the fox body bell with the stock sn95 crossmember. anyway, there is more than enough adjustment on the factory crossmember. keep in mind you are only talking 5/8ths of an inch difference between the two bells. you may have to pry and wiggle on it. but there is enough adjustment

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

r u sure you dont have the left and right side of the mount confused. did you try turning it around...idk

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the help guys I got it in with just a little muscle lol. Used 95 crossmember it's so much funner to drive and I can't wait to get it to the track!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

hey. i had my 96 5spd and just bought a 95 gt but it has a auto...im not very mechanically savy and i can tell the tranny will need to be changed kinda soon. any idea on price of parts/avg labor? just so i can have a ballpark. and if i buy a T-5 tranny. will it just replace my auto tranny?(i have no clue what type the auto is. prolly stock) but i dont really want the auto and im sure to replace the auto tranny its gonna be way more expensive. any help would be great! thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT