Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Trashed Header Bolts

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  JayKranz 
#1 ·
I the heads on three of my header bolts are trashed. I have resorted to vice grips, I got one out but the others are not budging. Advice?

#4 ·
autozone sells these really nice sockets, especially designed for rounded bolts. they grab on really good. but the best trick i have is aerokroil. it is about 15$ a can and makes pb blaster look like baby food! if all else fails you maybe able to cut off the heads of the bolt. then after you pull the header, or heads you can extract the rest of the bolt easier. when i do this most of the time the bolt will come right out cause its not locked on anymore.

#9 ·
A sawzall or a hand jab saw. :(
Try using a hammer and chisel or punch before you cut them off and tap them to the left (loosening).
Sometimes the jarring and penetrant will work to loosen them.
Always remember to use anti-seize on the new header bolts so they don't stick. :good:

#12 ·
Hahaha! I got a dremel, two of them as a matter of fact.
Dislike them both as they are to under powered and small to do much with on cars. :(
Also have 3 die grinders, two electric, one air, one electric is so powerful it scares me. :eek::
Now those are some rotary cutting and grinding tools.
What takes 10-15 minutes or more with a Dremel can be done in 1-2 minutes or less with a die grinder. ;) :)

#16 ·
The bottom bolt would probably be the easiest to get to, but you can remove the mount to engine block bolts if they are easier to get to.

#14 ·
When I put my longtubes on the stock header bolts had been impacted on there at 10000lbs by a dumb a$$ ford tech that worked on it under warranty. Had to use a cutting torch after trying everything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.