5.0 HO lifters and pushrods help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #1

Region: Louisiana
5.0 HO lifters and pushrods help

I just bought the solid flat tappet camshaft and i need to know if i can use the stock roller lifters and pushrods or i have to buy a new set of solid flat tappet lifters? What about the pushrods length? If anyone knows please let me know
gilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
its possible but not a good idea. the lifters work differently. u need solid lifters.

as for pushrod length. no one is gonna be able to give you the length. u need an adjustable pushrod. when you assemble everything, adjust the pushrod to the proper length. then that will be the length you need to order.

also be sure if you had a steel distributor gear originally(roller cam gear) that it will work with that cam. becuase i dont beleive it will. the steel gear is the hardest. which is equipted on roller cams only. so if your distributor gear is steel and you solid cam gear is not. the distributor will tear our cam up.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
+++^^^. All I can add for sure is that the pushrods for a flat lifter is longer than the roller lifters. So def get your self an adjustable pushrod to check what you need there's plenty of how to's on YouTube to help with learning how to check pushrod length I'm doin same thing right now because I'm goin from stock heads to AFRs with crane 1.6 RR and pushrod length is gonna be different than stock. So gotta check length after putting heads on to order correct rods
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 5.0 HO lifters and pushrods help

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilo View Post
I just bought the solid flat tappet camshaft and i need to know if i can use the stock roller lifters and pushrods or i have to buy a new set of solid flat tappet lifters? What about the pushrods length? If anyone knows please let me know

No you cannot use roller lifters and pushrods on a flat tappet cam.
You will have to buy lifters made for the camshaft and size your pushrods as stated above.

IMO Return it and get a roller cam.
Why would you even want to use old school technology that will produce less power and add more friction losses to your valvetrain?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT