Car wont start - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Car wont start

Ok so I drove my car home completely fine next day go to start it and it just keeps cranking and won't turn over replaced distr. cap and rotor and still nothing.....help
FoxBody9315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
Fuel, spark and timing are the ingredients to fire an engine.. Check all 3 don't just replace parts get a chiltons and diagnose each part such as fuel pump, and regulator, fuses etc.. Do you have an alarm?
Old 06-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Fuel, spark and timing are the ingredients to fire an engine.. Check all 3 don't just replace parts get a chiltons and diagnose each part such as fuel pump, and regulator, fuses etc.. Do you have an alarm?
No alarm how do you check for fuel and timing there is spark so I replaced the distr cap and rotor nothing I replaced the ignition coil I think it is and nothing made sure the fire sequence is right and it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
How was it running when you parked it? You should hear the fuel pump prime whenever you turn the key to the on position. You could take the dist cap off and turn the engine over. If the rotor don't turn then your timing chain snapped, there could be a million problems from Interia switch to etc..
Old 06-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr
How was it running when you parked it? You should hear the fuel pump prime whenever you turn the key to the on position. You could take the dist cap off and turn the engine over. If the rotor don't turn then your timing chain snapped, there could be a million problems from Interia switch to etc..
The car sounded fine didn't hear anything our of the ordinary....I ordered a new distributor I been reading and some people been saying something about a pip sensor so when I put that in tomorrow I'll try that out
Old 06-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
The pip is a testable part. I don't remember the procedure, but check online.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Car wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
The pip is a testable part. I don't remember the procedure, but check online.
Or, buy a Chilton's or Haynes manual for testing procedures.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Even better haha.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Even better haha.
+1

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

+1
87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Didnt he say above he had spark or am I reading it wrong. If he has spark...then stop replacing spark related parts. Im willing to bet it fuel related. inertia switch or fuel pump or fuel pump relay.
00 Expedition-L swapped, SuperCharged Boat
07 Expedition-stock (wifes), Tow Vehicle
NeverEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnuff
Didnt he say above he had spark or am I reading it wrong. If he has spark...then stop replacing spark related parts. Im willing to bet it fuel related. inertia switch or fuel pump or fuel pump relay.
Ok so I checked for the rotor turning it does....took off fuel filter put a bucket under that area tried turning car on an mo gas poured in so it's safe to say its the fuel pump
Old 06-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBody9315

Ok so I checked for the rotor turning it does....took off fuel filter put a bucket under that area tried turning car on an mo gas poured in so it's safe to say its the fuel pump
The only way its 100% safe to say its the fuel pump is that there also is 12volts at the pump. If the pump has power and your getting no gas, then yes its the pump. But make sure of that. Because it could still be the relay. But easy to check.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The only way its 100% safe to say its the fuel pump is that there also is 12volts at the pump. If the pump has power and your getting no gas, then yes its the pump. But make sure of that. Because it could still be the relay. But easy to check.
Well I checked ye power at the fuel reset button and that def had power to it
Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well I checked ye power at the fuel reset button and that def had power to it
Ok so I just took off te gas tank and what not....decided to test the fuel pump and guess what it works!!!!! I'm out of ideas here
Old 06-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
Road Trip!

If your not getting fuel and the pump works. It's gotta be linked lines, clogged filter etc.
Check if your getting fuel by the tank by pulling the line on the filter, then check the Schrader valve.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If your not getting fuel and the pump works. It's gotta be linked lines, clogged filter etc.
Check if your getting fuel by the tank by pulling the line on the filter, then check the Schrader valve.
I had ordered a bbk pump it comes in today so I'll put it in tomorrow and hopefully it starts I did pull the filter and when u poured it the gas was nasty looking so now I just hope that's all it was a clogged/dirty filter

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

Quote:

I had ordered a bbk pump it comes in today so I'll put it in tomorrow and hopefully it starts I did pull the filter and when u poured it the gas was nasty looking so now I just hope that's all it was a clogged/dirty filter
I was also thinking bad connection maybe while the pump was in there bc I never heard it prime
Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

I was also thinking bad connection maybe while the pump was in there bc I never heard it prime
Very possible
Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Mine was a bad coil and a month later my distributer pooped on me. Try the coil. It should only be like $40. Replace your cap, rotor, and adapter one more time nd make sure your firing sequence isn't off and if none of that works its most likely a bad distributer if no spark. If there is spark it could be your inertia switch, fuel injecters, fuel pump, or your fuel pump relay. Is say stick with motorcraft parts unless you plan on building the motor. There's no point in having a bbk distributer if your motor is stock
mustanggtx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanggtx2
Mine was a bad coil and a month later my distributer pooped on me. Try the coil. It should only be like $40. Replace your cap, rotor, and adapter one more time nd make sure your firing sequence isn't off and if none of that works its most likely a bad distributer if no spark. If there is spark it could be your inertia switch, fuel injecters, fuel pump, or your fuel pump relay. Is say stick with motorcraft parts unless you plan on building the motor. There's no point in having a bbk distributer if your motor is stock
The bbk I meant in fuel pump before this I had changed the coil rotor cap nothing theni replaced the whole distributor thinking it was the pip sensor and still nothing

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

Quote:

The bbk I meant in fuel pump before this I had changed the coil rotor cap nothing theni replaced the whole distributor thinking it was the pip sensor and still nothing
Inertia switch was good has power to it as well so of its not the pump must me the injectors
Old 06-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
Road Trip!

All these parts your changing are testable. I know it sux your cars not running. But most things can be tested before you replace them. And you may learn something in the process. Since you already ordered the pump I would definitely use it. But like I said, check that your getting fuel all the way to the motor. Start at the motor and check pressure. If nothing then move down the line and make sure if there is fuel by the filter.

Once you install the new pump let us know what happens. If it doesn't fix your problem we will help you figure out the next step.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
All these parts your changing are testable. I know it sux your cars not running. But most things can be tested before you replace them. And you may learn something in the process. Since you already ordered the pump I would definitely use it. But like I said, check that your getting fuel all the way to the motor. Start at the motor and check pressure. If nothing then move down the line and make sure if there is fuel by the filter.

Once you install the new pump let us know what happens. If it doesn't fix your problem we will help you figure out the next step.
Will do thanks man I appreciate it

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Quote:

Will do thanks man I appreciate it
Thanks to everyone I'll let you know when I put the new pump in
Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Bbk fuel pump in..... CAR STARTED
Old 06-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

My guess would be not enough pressure to regulator/fuel injectors... but what do i know lol

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:

Bbk fuel pump in..... CAR STARTED
Nice.[COLOR="Silver"]
Old 06-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nice.
Yes lol now on to the dam lifters bc they won't shut up hahaha
Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:

Haha. Smack them around a little bit. Lol
Old 06-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nice.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #28
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Why are they chattering? Low oil pressure? Or you need to run your valves? What do you mean
Old 06-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Why are they chattering? Low oil pressure? Or you need to run your valves? What do you mean
They're making this ticking noise and gets louder as I accelerate....I bought this liquid that says it quiets lifters a month ago and it shut them right up
Old 07-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #30

Region: New York

hey i have a similar problem i checked my filter and its fine the pump is working and i just replaced the ignition coil..the car was sitting for about 8 months and i put a new battery in it and it started right up i shut it off and went to go start it again and it ran like crap bogged out and shutoff i replaced the coil and it still wont start
greystallion5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystallion5.0
hey i have a similar problem i checked my filter and its fine the pump is working and i just replaced the ignition coil..the car was sitting for about 8 months and i put a new battery in it and it started right up i shut it off and went to go start it again and it ran like crap bogged out and shutoff i replaced the coil and it still wont start
Check you fuel cut off switch make sure you have power to it check spark as well
Old 07-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #32

Where is the cut off switch?i have a 94
Old 07-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
usually in the trunk
Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah like e said trunk behind the panels and stuff by te tail lights
Old 07-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #35

It was the switch i pressd the button and it worked thanks guys

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT