Swapping out the AOD - Page 12 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #386
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Ok so I have a question, I was looking at my pressure plate and noticed that it had little grooves in the surface that touches the clutch disc. If you run your fingers around it you can't feel them but if you go top to bottom to can feel them.

Is it still ok to run this pressure plate or should I just try and spring for a new one? Never had any problems with this clutch, pressure plate.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #387
Registered Member
Regular
 
04machazblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 672
You could buy a new one, but you can also get yours resurfaced at the machine shop, is this a stock flywheel you are using or aftermarket
__________________
2004 mach 1(totaled=() 93 mustang lx white
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #388
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX
Ok so I have a question, I was looking at my pressure plate and noticed that it had little grooves in the surface that touches the clutch disc. If you run your fingers around it you can't feel them but if you go top to bottom to can feel them.

Is it still ok to run this pressure plate or should I just try and spring for a new one? Never had any problems with this clutch, pressure plate.
Well its not good but you aren't having any issues with it and want to make it to the track you can probably run it and make that a winter project. Maybe you can post a pic for us to see?

Btw I still have my stock(?) Clutch setup I changed because I thought it was bad. The problem ended up being my trans. But anyways, its been a while since I looked at it. But if I'm not mistaken it was in great (almost new condition). I would give it to you as long as you pay shipping. If you are interested PM ME.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #389
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue
You could buy a new one, but you can also get yours resurfaced at the machine shop, is this a stock flywheel you are using or aftermarket
Stock flywheel but with aking cobra clutch kit. So the pressure plate is just touching the clutch itself not the flywheel.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Well its not good but you aren't having any issues with it and want to make it to the track you can probably run it and make that a winter project. Maybe you can post a pic for us to see?

Btw I still have my stock(?) Clutch setup I changed because I thought it was bad. The problem ended up being my trans. But anyways, its been a while since I looked at it. But if I'm not mistaken it was in great (almost new condition). I would give it to you as long as you pay shipping. If you are interested PM ME.
Kk,I'll Truro get some pics when i get home. The grooves really aren't that deep. Think of a vinyl record that gets scratched up, the grooves aren't depot big enough for anything to fit inside them. To met hey just feel like surface scratches but my buddy said it looked bad but I don't think it's that bad.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #390
Registered Member
Regular
 
04machazblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX

Stock flywheel but with aking cobra clutch kit. So the pressure plate is just touching the clutch itself not the flywheel.
Those groves are normal idk why I thought flywheel =p but yes that's normal if there tiny tiny ones but if its burned up to bad or large groves that's not Normal
__________________
2004 mach 1(totaled=() 93 mustang lx white
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #391
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,860
I guess if the pressure plate fingers look good and the clutch disc isn't really worn looking, it should adjust itself to the new flywheel over some miles. So, the smooth side has grooves?

Edit:
I see your posts about the grooves. I agree, if they aren't big and/or deep, should be okay. If the fingers, where your TOB hits are looking worn, you want to fetch a new one. Probably wouldn't take long to die once that happens.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #392
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Too bad we don't all live close to each other, then we could get together and have some wrenching parties heh
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #393
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,860
That would be cool
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #394
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
That would be cool
Then we could fix your car so you wouldn't need a Prius
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #395
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post

Then we could fix your car so you wouldn't need a Prius
Ha! Side note, when you put that car in reverse, it would beep like a construction vehicle backing up. The week I had it, I would do that constantly to get on my wife's nerves. Hehe
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #396
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Almost forgot to update! Out in the garage right now, flywheel is on, clutch and pressure plate it in, bell housing (the good one) is going on next, then I'm gonna throw the trans up in there. I'm not messin around I'm ready to start this baby up again!!
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #397
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Oh, and I got my beer buddy hangin out with me, keepin an eye on things
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1671396181.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	466.5 KB
ID:	72450  
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #398
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Sounds like you got everything covered...now a quick question which starter are you using again?..
Ps..Cheers!
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #399
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Gonna throw the aod starter back in, Jegs tech dude said didn't matter which starter manual or auto they would both work
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #400
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
*****!..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #401
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
I would use whatever looks the best. The teeth may have wear from engaging on a messed up flywheel. They may not but I would check.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #402
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,860
Sweet, glad your gettin it done. to your drinking buddy.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #403
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Burp hiccup!


*****!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3097323558.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	72477  
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #404
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
I would use whatever looks the best. The teeth may have wear from engaging on a messed up flywheel. They may not but I would check.
Aod starter was in the shorter amount if time compared to the manual one.

Trans is in, driveshaft in in, speedo cable is in, clutch linkage is hooked up. Have to wait till Friday night to button up the rest.

Can you fill the trans up with ATF through the shifter hole? The trans tilted and I kinda sorta forgot to plug the speedo gear hole and it jicked fluid all over me and the floor. I blame my drinkin buddy for not keepin an eye open and these for the mishap! BELLLLLLCCCCHHHHHH!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2257754426.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	487.4 KB
ID:	72478  
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #405
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,860
You can on the TR3650. I would think it would possible on the T5.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #406
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Beerzinggg!
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #407
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,860
Attachment 72501
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #408
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
Oh, and I got my beer buddy hangin out with me, keepin an eye on things
Looks like he's "dog" tired.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #409
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Looks like he's "dog" tired.
Lets just say someone left him outside for quite a few hours without realizing he was out there. I just happened to look out the garage window and see him laying there watching the cats play. I'm like what the hell is he doing out there? Needless to say j knew he was out for a couple hours cuz he stink to high heaven lol
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #410
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
Lets just say someone left him outside for quite a few hours without realizing he was out there. I just happened to look out the garage window and see him laying there watching the cats play. I'm like what the hell is he doing out there? Needless to say j knew he was out for a couple hours cuz he stink to high heaven lol


That's doggy perfume. We wash it off, they put it back on.
I had a Blue Heeler that was totally devoted to me. He went everywhere with me, even climbing ladders to work on the roof and crawling under the car to work on it. Wasn't to bad unless he had "freshened" up before crawling under the car.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #411
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
So how exactly do I wire a relay into my fan switch? Do I just cut and splice one in, what kind of relay do I need? I have my fan hooked up to a toggle switch now so I can turn it on and off but I don't want to burn up the switch because its obviously pulling quite afew amps.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #412
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX
So how exactly do I wire a relay into my fan switch? Do I just cut and splice one in, what kind of relay do I need? I have my fan hooked up to a toggle switch now so I can turn it on and off but I don't want to burn up the switch because its obviously pulling quite afew amps.
you cant get a fan controller rom summit racing. search fan controller. you can get them adjustable so you can control when you want the fan to kick on. just make sure it comes with a heavy duty relay. mine cost 38$ and came with everything, the controller, water sensor, relay etc.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #413
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
So how exactly do I wire a relay into my fan switch? Do I just cut and splice one in, what kind of relay do I need? I have my fan hooked up to a toggle switch now so I can turn it on and off but I don't want to burn up the switch because its obviously pulling quite afew amps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
you cant get a fan controller rom summit racing. search fan controller. you can get them adjustable so you can control when you want the fan to kick on. just make sure it comes with a heavy duty relay. mine cost 38$ and came with everything, the controller, water sensor, relay etc.
+1 ^^ What he said.


The electric fans pull a pretty good load on start up (as much as 70 Amps) and can pull as much as 30 Amps when running. They will cook a switch in due time, so be sure to get the HD relay as advised.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #414
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Well I had that fan controller I got from advanced but for whatever reason I could not get it to work correctly for the life of me. Had the 12 volt source spliced into just about every spot I could find, even did the turning if the dial to where it said it should kick the fan on if I turn it all the way one direction which it did not.

I don't know, I would like to get a good controller and have it work properly the first time I wire it in.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #415
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
Well I had that fan controller I got from advanced but for whatever reason I could not get it to work correctly for the life of me. Had the 12 volt source spliced into just about every spot I could find, even did the turning if the dial to where it said it should kick the fan on if I turn it all the way one direction which it did not.

I don't know, I would like to get a good controller and have it work properly the first time I wire it in.
Choose your controller, Post the info/wiring diagram suggested for it in another thread (such as "Electric Fan Wiring" so it will be more easily searchable in the forums) and I will help you get it wired correctly.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #416
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Choose your controller, Post the info/wiring diagram suggested for it in another thread (such as "Electric Fan Wiring" so it will be more easily searchable in the forums) and I will help you get it wired correctly.
Kk, will do.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #417
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Just found out wife has to work Saturday 7am-3:30 which means I need to try and get the car buttoned up Friday night because Saturday night I have to goto a get together we have every year since a good friend passed and celebrate his life.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #418
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
It's on like donkey kong when I get home. Now, should I put the shim on the aod starter or leave it off? My 87 had a shim between the starter and bellhousing but my aod did not and the 87 had the factory starter still on it.

Just wondering if I should run it without the shim or not.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #419
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
It's on like donkey kong when I get home. Now, should I put the shim on the aod starter or leave it off? My 87 had a shim between the starter and bellhousing but my aod did not and the 87 had the factory starter still on it.

Just wondering if I should run it without the shim or not.
Whichever will center up the starter drive gear the best on the flywheel.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #420
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Whichever will center up the starter drive gear the best on the flywheel.
Hmm, gonna be tough to tell. Think I'm gonna try just the starter by itself and cross my fingers. Bout to head out there now.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:15 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.