Swapping out the AOD - Page 13 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #421
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
Hmm, gonna be tough to tell. Think I'm gonna try just the starter by itself and cross my fingers. Bout to head out there now.
Put some paint on the starter gear teeth, bolt it up, try it then remove it and see where the contact is being made. It could mean the difference between it lasting or failing.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #422
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Put some paint on the starter gear teeth, bolt it up, try it then remove it and see where the contact is being made. It could mean the difference between it lasting or failing.
Kk, bout to do a test fire now, everything is bolted on, hook up the battery and give her a crank *crosses fingers*

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #423
Pete Jones
Regular

I think I just jizzed in my pants....wow...it was so quiet and smooth when it cranked over. Such an awesome feeling when everything finally goes your way!!!! Yahooooooo!!!

12pm-5pm Sunday test and tune here I come!!

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #424
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
sweet! now i will cross my fingers for 13s!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #425
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Awesome!!! Our last day here a O'Reilly for a test & tune is the 24th. Hoping for good weather.

Take your video recorder thingy with you too. Good luck man!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #426
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
sweet! now i will cross my fingers for 13s!
Need to find a helmet to borrow just in case I do break out. Still working out the details with my buddies, seems everyone is scared to run their car up there now. Tried. Talking them into it but they seemed skidding, scared of hittin the wall upon other excuses.

The one would go with me but he listened to too many Dyno guys and now his car is muffed up. 347 stroker and now it's got a 90mm TB, lightning maf, 42 lb venom injectors and it won't run right. Runs like complete **** unless its WOT.

The one said he might go but not with his car, I said then if your gonna take your truck bring a trailor and ill run the slicks cuz I'm gonna go ***** to the walls if I know I can get it trailered back home if something happens.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Awesome!!! Our last day here a O'Reilly for a test & tune is the 24th. Hoping for good weather.

Take your video recorder thingy with you too. Good luck man!
Got this Sunday and the following Sunday is the last test and tune of the year, kinda sad I've only went once this year .

My recorder thingy is my iPhone 4 with a windshield mount I will def be recording EVERY run I make this time, just hope it's not as packed as last time.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #427
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Dats fukin awesome man!..I hope you can trailer it and run all out wit slicks
Ps. Your avatar pic is freakin hilarious!!
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #428
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
It made me have too dig around for my CD...can't find the MF! I might just buy'em on itunes.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #429
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
That it is! I forget where I even found that pic. Was lookin through pics on my phone and found it.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 10-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #430
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Straight axle slicks!...go all out!

*****!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airtime.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	72867  
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #431
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Straight axle slicks!...go all out!

*****!!
Hellz to the yea, gasser style!

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #432
Pete Jones
Regular

She started everytime at the track without fail. Starts like a dream, no more grinding, no more crank then just grind.

Need to adjust my clutch a little more to get it ack to where I had it and add some more fluid to it. Can't get my front shifter bolts without removing the console or using a swivel which a swivel I do not have. Used to have a few, lost some and broke some. Need to get another one.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #433
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
She started everytime at the track without fail. Starts like a dream, no more grinding, no more crank then just grind.

Need to adjust my clutch a little more to get it ack to where I had it and add some more fluid to it. Can't get my front shifter bolts without removing the console or using a swivel which a swivel I do not have. Used to have a few, lost some and broke some. Need to get another one.
Grab several, they have a habit of becoming lost or broken when you need them the most.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #434
Pete Jones
Regular

So I added what oil I had left which wasn't a while lot but better than none. Adjusted my clutch, feels kinda close to where I think I had it. Took my cluster apart thinking the cable popped off the back, nope, looks like I need to check the gear in he trans and pray the cable didn't break

Just don't know why my speedo quit workin, I put it back in the same way I took it out.

Also first gear feels kinda weird to me, it's not grinding or anything but just feels kinda stiff when putting it in first and taking it out. Any ideas what that could be? Feels maybe like its dragging against something when you put it in gear and take it out?

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 11-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #435
Pete Jones
Regular

Drive it to work Friday and everything seemed good, clutch felt good. On the way home I pulled out from a stop sign and laid into it, took her up to almost 6k, slammed the clutch down and yanked her in second no problem and chirped'em. Think I have her adjusted just about right but I still need to check the speedo gear and get a little more oil in it.

Also gonna need to get me a heater for the garage so I don't freeze to death out there workin on it.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 11-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #436
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX
Drive it to work Friday and everything seemed good, clutch felt good. On the way home I pulled out from a stop sign and laid into it, took her up to almost 6k, slammed the clutch down and yanked her in second no problem and chirped'em. Think I have her adjusted just about right but I still need to check the speedo gear and get a little more oil in it.

Also gonna need to get me a heater for the garage so I don't freeze to death out there workin on it.
Hey, I posted a garage heater in the fyi classifieds months ago. It's brand new. But its natural gas. It cost 150$ new but I will give to ya for 90$ shipped as long as shipping is less than 25$.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:10 AM   #437
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

Hey, I posted a garage heater in the fyi classifieds months ago. It's brand new. But its natural gas. It cost 150$ new but I will give to ya for 90$ shipped as long as shipping is less than 25$.
Don't have natural gas :/

I need something like an old kerosene heater that doesn't put out a bunch of fumes cuz it's attached to the house. I uaed that monstaliner on my jeep and I swore I could smell it for over a week in the house heh.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 11-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #438
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX

Don't have natural gas :/

I need something like an old kerosene heater that doesn't put out a bunch of fumes cuz it's attached to the house. I uaed that monstaliner on my jeep and I swore I could smell it for over a week in the house heh.
That's cool. I also have an attached garage. Just fyi if your gonna go kerosene I would get a new one. I had an older one and it stunk the house up. Wifey would get pissed off!. Then when it took a sh¦t I burrowed my dads that was brand new and you coukdnt even smell it in the house. But of course this will vary. If you by used just make sure its in good shape so you have abetted chance of hiring clean.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #439
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

That's cool. I also have an attached garage. Just fyi if your gonna go kerosene I would get a new one. I had an older one and it stunk the house up. Wifey would get pissed off!. Then when it took a sh¦t I burrowed my dads that was brand new and you coukdnt even smell it in the house. But of course this will vary. If you by used just make sure its in good shape so you have abetted chance of hiring clean.
Yeah, meant like an old kerosene heater, def don't want a used one lol. Might start lookin around for one in sears since they are going outta business around me.

Friends and co workers were like why didn't you plumb the garage for heat? I said why the hell would I wanna do that? Do I could spend even more on my electric bill? Lol

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 11-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #440
Road Trip!
Supporter

dreamstang's heater may be convertible to propane?Most gas heaters have that option. If it does then you could use the propane cylinders to fuel it, just be careful of leaks, as propane is heavier than air and will build up if leaking, leading to an explosion.

If you use the kerosene/#1 diesel heater, make sure you have air flow from outside .
Even if you can't see or smell them, the fumes build up and can be hazardous to you or anyone in an attached building/house.
Be safe in either case.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #441
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
dreamstang's heater may be convertible to propane?Most gas heaters have that option. If it does then you could use the propane cylinders to fuel it, just be careful of leaks, as propane is heavier than air and will build up if leaking, leading to an explosion.

If you use the kerosene/#1 diesel heater, make sure you have air flow from outside .
Even if you can't see or smell them, the fumes build up and can be hazardous to you or anyone in an attached building/house.
Be safe in either case.
Hmmmm, you always have great advice and ideas TH! I still don't know exactly what I'm gonna do, maybe ill see how cold it gets in there this winter. Fingers crossed it won't be too bad, don't remember how cold it was last year because I didn't do anything in there all winter long.

I could get a square box fan and put it in the window maybe to help with the fumes?

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 11-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #442
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Hmmmm, you always have great advice and ideas TH! I still don't know exactly what I'm gonna do, maybe ill see how cold it gets in there this winter. Fingers crossed it won't be too bad, don't remember how cold it was last year because I didn't do anything in there all winter long.

I could get a square box fan and put it in the window maybe to help with the fumes?
Usually an open window will suffice, but having a fan available will certainly help.
Read up on the advance warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning so you are familiar with them, then if you experience any of them you will know to use the fan or turn the heater off.
P.S. I use a small unvented natural gas heater that is supposed to be ok to use with no venting to just take the chill off and keep one bay of my garage at about 40 degrees. Even though it's supposed to be ok, I can definitely smell the CO2 when I enter the garage.

On top of everything else I spent about 8 years being a plumber/heating & cooling tech.
I have always wanted to know everything I could learn about cars, trucks, houses, computers, electricity, etc., so during my younger years I gathered knowledge by working in many different fields. I can build a vehicle or house completely from the ground up now, but in the end my body is failing me, so the knowledge is about all I have left.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #443
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

Usually an open window will suffice, but having a fan available will certainly help.
Read up on the advance warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning so you are familiar with them, then if you experience any of them you will know to use the fan or turn the heater off.
P.S. I use a small unvented natural gas heater that is supposed to be ok to use with no venting to just take the chill off and keep one bay of my garage at about 40 degrees. Even though it's supposed to be ok, I can definitely smell the CO2 when I enter the garage.

On top of everything else I spent about 8 years being a plumber/heating & cooling tech.
I have always wanted to know everything I could learn about cars, trucks, houses, computers, electricity, etc., so during my younger years I gathered knowledge by working in many different fields. I can build a vehicle or house completely from the ground up now, but in the end my body is failing me, so the knowledge is about all I have left.
I tried to get into a apprenticeship for electrical but the place they said to go to was never open when I went and seemed like an empty building :/

Went to vocational school for auto tech but never went any further with it because I didn't want the college debt and never was a fan of taking tests.

I'm more of a hands on kind of person, once you show me and I do it a few times I can pretty much do it no problem. Just like went I swapped my trans out. Had no experience swapping things out, only ever pulled a manual out and put it back in. Never had to cut and splice wires etc etc but now that I did it I can pretty much so it without stopping to think lol.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 11-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #444
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I tried to get into a apprenticeship for electrical but the place they said to go to was never open when I went and seemed like an empty building :/

Went to vocational school for auto tech but never went any further with it because I didn't want the college debt and never was a fan of taking tests.

I'm more of a hands on kind of person, once you show me and I do it a few times I can pretty much do it no problem. Just like went I swapped my trans out. Had no experience swapping things out, only ever pulled a manual out and put it back in. Never had to cut and splice wires etc etc but now that I did it I can pretty much so it without stopping to think lol.
I have had no "formal" training in most of the fields of my work, yet I have had the best teachers ever in all of my different fields of work and learning. Luckily, for the most part I was a quick learner and a conscientious, diligent worker. These traits served me well in being able to find work in any field I cared to try and I frequently was approached by other business owners offering me jobs in various fields. These offers served to make me try even harder to learn and excel at my work.

That's exactly how I learned to work on cars. My "teacher" was one of the best mechanics around and the patience he exhibited answering all of my questions and showing me how to do things was phenomenal. We became very good friends and later found out that we were actually distantly related back about 3-4 generations. He passed away about 4 years ago and I will always miss the camaraderie and friendship we shared.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #445
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

The has conversion is pretty common as TH said. Essentially, it a smaller size burner orifice is usually required and possibly a gas valve diaphragm spring change. They will sell a conversion kit for heater. You can check in the user manual or on the Internet. The stinky smell they add to prop gas is Mercaptan.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #446
Pete Jones
Regular

Just gonna give her a bump, hopefully someone will find my swap useful for them.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT