Swapping out the AOD - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #71
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX
I read that before but it kind of confused me that one guy said just grab the jumper plug from and aod and bam done because the black plug under the dash is the one that is plugged and jumped.

Friend of mine did his to his auto very and said he just ended up cutting the plug and twisting the wires together so that got me thinking that what I have already wont work....

I dont know I'm sort of confusing and second guessing myself heh, I guess if it won't turn over tomorrow I will pop the jumper plug out and add the fuses and see if that does it. Which of it does.... That will confuse the hell out of me
Well either way if it doesn't start you know what to do. I don't know what it looks like exactly so its even harder for me.lol

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Try this link. It tells the wires that need to jumped together.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...lp-please.html
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #72
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Well either way if it doesn't start you know what to do. I don't know what it looks like exactly so its even harder for me.lol
Yep! I appreciate your advice and input through this. I enjoy reading you and TH going back and forth with issues you have so I can possibly soak in some knowledge heh.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #73
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yep! I appreciate your advice and input through this. I enjoy reading you and TH going back and forth with issues you have so I can possibly soak in some knowledge heh.
Haha. No problem. I enjoy helping anyone I can. I also enjoy reading other threads. It's definitely a good way to learn. cheers man. I hope it all goes good for you tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #74
Lorraine's driver

Regular

This whole thread ^^^ is exactly what I was hoping to find in this forum. I know thats all smooshy but can't help it, this is great stuff.

Can't wait to hear about your test drive!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #75
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
This whole thread ^^^ is exactly what I was hoping to find in this forum. I know thats all smooshy but can't help it, this is great stuff.

Can't wait to hear about your test drive!
Well duh! This is only the best forum out there.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #76
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Well duh! This is only the best forum out there.
Ha! True
Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #77
Pete Jones
Regular

Well I'm gonna have to wait until later on today to do my test startup and run. Had to go out to my parents for a bit.

Also remembered I need to run to the hardware and get a longer starter bolt since the bellhousing I used had the bottom hole stripped and drilled out so I need to get a longer bolt, nut, washer and lock washer for the bottom bolt.

Once I get home it's go time!

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 06-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #78
Pete Jones
Regular

Also this stuff is great! I recommend it over the regular liquid thread locker! Gets it right down in the threads and stays there, it's a little more expensive but worth it in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3343285317.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	635.7 KB
ID:	53890  

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 06-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #79
Pete Jones
Regular

Ok, I'm ready to test it out to see if it will start with the factory jumper.

I also wired up my fan controller. Red straight to battery, black to battery ground, orange wire to fan, yellow ignition wire to a sensor in the intake which I think is an air temp sensor? Spliced into the green with black stripe wire.

Is that a good spot to splice into for ignition power only under the hood?

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Alright, just tried to crank it.....nothing....so I put a 25 amp fuse in the black plug and a 25amp fuse in the other plug and still won't crank....I've checked my connections, starter is hooked up, all plugs are in place...

Going to start rechecking everything but I'm pretty sure I didn't unplug anything...

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 06-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #80
Lorraine's driver

Regular

The clutch must be disengaged (down on the floor) before my car will turn over. There is a switch on my clutch for this. Maybe there is something like this on and auto, like a park switch(?), to make sure the car is in park. Maybe something like this is keeping the engine from turning over. You probably know this, but always start with a smaller fuse first, that way it will pop your fuse rather than burn something up. Chasing down melted wires sucks. Sorry if you know that already!
Old 06-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #81
Pete Jones
Regular

Ive basically bypassed the switch with the 2 fuses plugged into the vss but idk, I'm gonna crawl underneath and take a look around.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 06-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #82
Road Trip!

Personally I would be scared tapping into any sensors. But I do think its not to big of a deal. If I'm correct all that 12 volt ignition wire will be doing is triggering the relay on when you turn the key.it shouldn't be supplying any heavy voltage.

Then do you have a spot on the radiator side of the thermostat to hook the sensor? I hooked mine up on the thermostat housing. The reason I ask is because your sensor will be reading temperature from the motor and not the actual water in the radiator. I believe it will still work fine, especially once up to operating temp. But since the motor gets warm faster than the water in the radiator your fan maybe kicking on for no reason. The most efficient way to run the fan would to be keeping the water in the actual radiator at an even temp. Are you following me?

Like I said though i think it will work though. If it seems like your fan is kicking on a lot or you are getting a lot of variance in the temp your engine is running I would invest in a thermostat housing that has a 3/8 npt port on it.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #83
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
Personally I would be scared tapping into any sensors. But I do think its not to big of a deal. If I'm correct all that 12 volt ignition wire will be doing is triggering the relay on when you turn the key.it shouldn't be supplying any heavy voltage.

Then do you have a spot on the radiator side of the thermostat to hook the sensor? I hooked mine up on the thermostat housing. The reason I ask is because your sensor will be reading temperature from the motor and not the actual water in the radiator. I believe it will still work fine, especially once up to operating temp. But since the motor gets warm faster than the water in the radiator your fan maybe kicking on for no reason. The most efficient way to run the fan would to be keeping the water in the actual radiator at an even temp. Are you following me?

Like I said though i think it will work though. If it seems like your fan is kicking on a lot or you are getting a lot of variance in the temp your engine is running I would invest in a thermostat housing that has a 3/8 npt port on it.
The kit I bought has a little probe that you slide into the fins on the radiator. Right now I'm chasing wires trying to see if I accidently unplugged something. The only wires I don't have hooked up underneath is the one for the 2 little prongs on the side of the t5 and the one plug that is on top of the t5.

I crawled under my 87 to look at that harness and the only difference I see is the plug that goes with the 2 prong on the trans has a jumper wire on the one end and only 2 wires physically running to the prong plug in. Thought of I used the fuses like I read it woks just bypass it altogether so now I don't know.

Gonna give my buddy a call and see what he did when his wouldn't start with the key.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 06-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #84
Road Trip!

Quote:

The kit I bought has a little probe that you slide into the fins on the radiator. Right now I'm chasing wires trying to see if I accidently unplugged something. The only wires I don't have hooked up underneath is the one for the 2 little prongs on the side of the t5 and the one plug that is on top of the t5.

I crawled under my 87 to look at that harness and the only difference I see is the plug that goes with the 2 prong on the trans has a jumper wire on the one end and only 2 wires physically running to the prong plug in. Thought of I used the fuses like I read it woks just bypass it altogether so now I don't know.

Gonna give my buddy a call and see what he did when his wouldn't start with the key.
Ok sorry about the fan controller. I got you ignition wire confuesed with a water sensor for the fan. My fan controller has an actual sensor, not the probe type. Oops.

I have never hooked up my reverse lights yet. So I have no wires going to my trans at all. So I don't think anything unplugged from the trans would affect it starting.

The way you have it fused together, does it link the wires together that the second forum link I posted describe?

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Th fuse you are using should make the wires from the quote below linked together. And also, it is just a switch. If you have to just cut those wires loose and connect them together.

This is from the last link I posted.

According to my EVTM, it's Red/Lt Blue to the White/Pink that you connect to bypass the neutral safety. Make sure you have the clutch safety switch plugged in up at the pedal box, after you removed the AOD jumper from the hanress.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #85
Pete Jones
Regular

AHA!!! I figured it out!!! I managed to compared the neutral safety switch plugs on my 87 gt to the one on the aod. Basically just cut the old aod plug, wired the 2 wires together and then butt connected the other 2.

Jumped inside and hit the key and she cranked over. Now I do have 1 question, my starter is louder than frack now....that's how the starter sounded in my 87... Is there supposed to be a little spacer in between the bell housing and starter? Because I took my 87 apart for my swap there was a little spacer and I'm wonder if it's not letting it hit the teeth fully.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 06-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #86
Road Trip!

Quote:
AHA!!! I figured it out!!! I managed to compared the neutral safety switch plugs on my 87 gt to the one on the aod. Basically just cut the old aod plug, wired the 2 wires together and then butt connected the other 2.

Jumped inside and hit the key and she cranked over. Now I do have 1 question, my starter is louder than frack now....that's how the starter sounded in my 87... Is there supposed to be a little spacer in between the bell housing and starter? Because I took my 87 apart for my swap there was a little spacer and I'm wonder if it's not letting it hit the teeth fully.
Awsome.

My starter has no spacer. I have changed the starter and just put it back on how it was. And the previous owner was hill jack riggin *******. But my starter doesn't seem to make any loud noise.

Are you using your old flywheel?
Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #87
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

Awsome.

My starter has no spacer. I have changed the starter and just put it back on how it was. And the previous owner was hill jack riggin *******. But my starter doesn't seem to make any loud noise.

Are you using your old flywheel?
Nope, but I think I figured it out. My mustang buddy at advance told me there should be no spacer. So my noise was probably because That little spacer wouldn't let to gear go in far enough to make full contact. Just got done taking it out.

Sometimes I want to smack the engineers for making the top starter bolt so hard to get to!

Heres the spacer I was talkin about, it was on my 87 so I figured it needed it. Evidently it doesn't heh
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3365871410.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	638.0 KB
ID:	53921   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1837531766.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	602.1 KB
ID:	53922  

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 06-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #88
Road Trip!

Nice. Now hurry up and take it for a spin!

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

I have x bracing under mine that goes from the sub frames to k member to core support. It has to come off to get the starter out. Pain in the @$$
Old 06-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #89
Pete Jones
Regular

Well she fired up, got a little downpipes leak I need to tighten up, checking for when the fan decides to kick on, starter is loud as hell! I don't know how to fix that, the flywheel looked fine to me, no missing teeth etc etc. I don't like it but at least she's running.

I made a video I'll try to post it

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Still can't get that fan controller to kick the fan on....I don't know maybe I'm not finding the right 12 volt key on source..... Hooked it up on the green wire all the way back near where the a/c lines go into the firewall and turned the dial both ways and couldn't get it to kick on at all... I loathe electrical crap...

Bad thing is I can't find my test light so I can't prove any of the wires to check

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 06-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #90
Road Trip!

Just to verify you can take the ignition wire and hook it up straight to the battery also. If it works then you need to find another ignition source.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #91
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
Just to verify you can take the ignition wire and hook it up straight to the battery also. If it works then you need to find another ignition source.
Tried that, put it directly on the battery and turn the dial both ways....nothin...I plugged in the orange wire to the spot my original wire was for power. It does say to ground out the other fan wire(blue one, which isn't used unless you have dual fans) but I didn't ground it because I figured it had power going through ur do I just taped up the end.

I don't know man, I really Want to take it for a spin but I dont want to overheat it...

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Ran a jump from the relay post to ground and the fan did spin so the relay is good but for some reason I can't get the damn thing to come on normally, also blew the 25 amp fuse the second time I jump it

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 06-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #92
Road Trip!

I am not home right now. But if you want I can hunt down my directions and tell you about each wire?

I haven't used the probe type before but you think maybe moving its location may help a little bit? Or get some boiling water and stick the probe in?

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Oh one more thing. How hot did you let it get? Because the factory thermostat is around 193 maybe. So until the thermostat opens the water in the radiator will stay the same temp. You can tell when the tstat opens by feeling the hoses.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #93
Pete Jones
Regular

I let the car hit 200-205. Well I know what each wire on the controller is for but just can't get it to kick on so I don't know if I'm just not finding the right 12 ignition source or not. Thinkin may have burnt up the relay because now when I try to jump it with a
New fuse it won't work.

I don't know, I think I'm done for the day tired of messing with it and running into issues heh.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 06-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #94
Road Trip!

That's possible.

Sometimes its better to walk away.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #95
Pete Jones
Regular

Still can't stop thinking about that flippin controller. Keep wonder if I just had a faulty relay then I'm thinking I hope I didn't fry that damn fan. Might run to advance and pickup a new relay and some 25 amp fuses and go at it again.

Sometimes I think I shoulda just left it the way it was cuz the fan was working heh.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 06-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #96
Road Trip!

I hear you man. I do the same stuff. It will bug the piss out of me. What I think you should do is borrow a meter, instead of a test light. To be positive you have proper voltage.

Also, you said you changed the fuse? What fuse was it? Was it for the sensor, or was there a fuse in relay?

Just take your time and don't let it get to you. You'll get it.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #97
Pete Jones
Regular

There's a fuse on the orange wire that connects to the fan. It was a 25 amp fuse. Just got back from advance. Got new 25 amp fuses and a new 40 amp relay.

Also grabbed a test light and the wire I had it spliced into gets no power. I'm poking every wire I can think of that's not used by a sensor and isn't too important but can't seem to find one short of going to the inside of the car which the wire isn't long enough and I don't have any extra wire laying around to do so.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1355652203.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	485.5 KB
ID:	53960  

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 06-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #98
Road Trip!

Well at least your getting somewhere. Advanced will sell wire if you need it.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #99
Pete Jones
Regular

I've been thinking about my starter as well. I just don't get why it sounds so loud now that it's a 5 speed. I thought the starter in my 87 was just going bad but now that the one that's been in my 90 is making the same noise I'm not sure what's wrong.

I mean it will crank it over and start the car but it's just so damn loud when it cranks. I know that the auto and manual starters are the same. I removed that little spacer thing and it didn't change the sound.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 06-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #100
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
I've been thinking about my starter as well. I just don't get why it sounds so loud now that it's a 5 speed. I thought the starter in my 87 was just going bad but now that the one that's been in my 90 is making the same noise I'm not sure what's wrong.

I mean it will crank it over and start the car but it's just so damn loud when it cranks. I know that the auto and manual starters are the same. I removed that little spacer thing and it didn't change the sound.
Do you need to adjust the clutch some? That's a guess. Is there a just a little pressure on the flywheel when you have the clutch disengaged (down to the floor) so the starter is working harder?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #101
Pete Jones
Regular

Not that I'm aware of, if anything it just wouldn't engage the clutch fully if it were to tight. I haven't had a chance to take it out for a spin yet since I don't have my fan going. Thought about lifting the back up on jack stands just so I could go through the gears to make sure the clutch was adjusted correctly.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 06-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #102
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of, if anything it just wouldn't engage the clutch fully if it were to tight. I haven't had a chance to take it out for a spin yet since I don't have my fan going. Thought about lifting the back up on jack stands just so I could go through the gears to make sure the clutch was adjusted correctly.
Don't blame ya about the fan. Especially this time of year, gets hot quick. Maybe tranny alignment? I agree, odd how it has picked up greater sound just from different trannys. Unless the clutch mounted on the flywheel has changed the balance of the flywheel as compared to the tourque converter.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #103
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Don't blame ya about the fan. Especially this time of year, gets hot quick. Maybe tranny alignment? I agree, odd how it has picked up greater sound just from different trannys. Unless the clutch mounted on the flywheel has changed the balance of the flywheel as compared to the tourque converter.
Yea I don't know heh, it did feel like the engine rev'd up faster though. Could just be me lol, I want to take it out for a spin so bad! I haven't driven a manual stang for over a year, last time was when my 87 was still together and I was moving everything from my old house to the new one.

I think it's going to feel great again with the t5 in there. Even with the factory 2 something gearing, it's just nice to rip through the gears on your own.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 06-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #104
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Yea I don't know heh, it did feel like the engine rev'd up faster though. Could just be me lol, I want to take it out for a spin so bad! I haven't driven a manual stang for over a year, last time was when my 87 was still together and I was moving everything from my old house to the new one.

I think it's going to feel great again with the t5 in there. Even with the factory 2 something gearing, it's just nice to rip through the gears on your own.
You know it! My last Mustang was an 87 GT w/auto and 2.73 gears. I always told everybody it was the MPG model. My RPMs were LOW on the highway!
Old 06-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #105
Pete Jones
Regular

Ok do this morning before the kids got up I ran out and checked a wire on the wiper motor for power with key on only. Found one, tapped into it(I don't really use the wipers anyways) checked the wire going to the controller with key on and off.

So now I'm getting the constant 12 and the ignition 12, fan is grounded directly to the battery and the same goes for the controller itself. The guy told me that if I'm getting power and everything is hooked up right I should be able to turn the dual one way or the other and the fan should kick on. Well, I tried both ways and still couldn't get it to kick on, tried switch the power wire to another prong on he fan(sn95 fan), still nothin.

I don't know if maybe I'm not turning the dual far enough, it's a tiny *** thing and I had to file down a screwdriver to kind of fit the dial. Maybe I just need to get a small eyeglass screwdriver and make sure jn turning it all the way.

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Dial not dual damn iphone

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT