Swapping out the AOD - Page 7 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #211
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Swapping out the AOD

It is possible for the bell housing to be out of alignment.Search Google on how to check and realign if necessary.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #212
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Hey a couple questions for the author of this thread, what do you do with the TV cable after the swap? And what is the sheetmetal piece between the block and bellhousing called, and where could i find one for a t5? Thanks ahead of time yall.
Redsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #213
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsteel
Hey a couple questions for the author of this thread, what do you do with the TV cable after the swap? And what is the sheetmetal piece between the block and bellhousing called, and where could i find one for a t5? Thanks ahead of time yall.
Just remove it as its not needed anymore, I kept everything but the lines for the aod in case I ever sell it. The plate is basically just called an inspection plate I believe(could be wrong but that's what I've always called it). Any foxbody with a 5.0 should have one in between the engine and trans. I don't know of you can buy one or not.

I basically have a complete 87 gt that I took all my parts off of so it made the swap that much easier. The tv cable is basically just the kickdown cable for the aod so there's no need for it once you remove the aod and put in the t5 because you'll be kicking it down a gear with your foot and hand.

Also, you might be able to use a plate from an sn95 but I'm not for certain.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #214
Road Trip!
Supporter

It's called a block/bellhousing spacer plate. The inspection plate is usually attached to the bottom of it.

Spacer Plate
Old 07-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #215
Pete Jones
Regular

So I think I may tear into my car Friday night so long as I can pickup a new flywheel by then. Couple buddies are gonna hit the test and tune in September. First time we will be altogether at the track.

My 90 lx hatch, a 88 gt 347 stroker, 87 convertible gt and a 92 notchback. I'm sure I'll get my butt handed to me by the notch and stroker but I'll put up a fight with the vert.

He has a few things over me, just put in a e cam and a edelbrock upper and lower(probably injectors as well) and 3.73 gears. Last I heard he ran a 14.5 with gears and intake I think.

One thing is I def have him beat in the weight department. He is heavy than the normal vert because he had to basically build the whole front of the frame by the shock towers because it was pretty much gone on both sides.(1/4 " plate steel was put in its place.

I don't want to tear back into my car but it has to be done. I have not driven it hardly at all because I don't want to try and push start it everytime I shut it off :/

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 07-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #216
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
sweet man. im myself trying to get to the track.

oh btw. becareful picking on verts! lol

good luck man.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #217
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
sweet man. im myself trying to get to the track.

oh btw. becareful picking on verts! lol

good luck man.
Ha, yeah I know, but I'm gonna put up one helluva fight if we go head to head. But you know if I win I'm gonna rub it in a bit since he has more mods than me lol.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 07-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #218
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX

Ha, yeah I know, but I'm gonna put up one helluva fight if we go head to head. But you know if I win I'm gonna rub it in a bit since he has more mods than me lol.
GET IT!..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #219
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

GET IT!..
Yeah boi! First time I went with my sick aod I beat a s/c Buick lol. Ill be happy with a low 14. Be even happier if I break into the 13s, only problem I think will be traction, I don't have slicks or drag radials and I know I'm gonna want to launch it hard at least once off the line with the 5 speed behind it heh.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #220
Filibuster

Quote:

Yeah boi! First time I went with my sick aod I beat a s/c Buick lol. Ill be happy with a low 14. Be even happier if I break into the 13s, only problem I think will be traction, I don't have slicks or drag radials and I know I'm gonna want to launch it hard at least once off the line with the 5 speed behind it heh.
Haha nice!...but yeah no real chance of 13's w/o atleast d/r's...and trust me if you launch hard on street tires you're gunna find yourself in the 15's!!...you'll be spinnin bad out the hole. But on that note give yourself as many runs as you can to get used to the track and how to feather the clutch for the best 60ft. That will be one of the biggest things on your et is your 60ft..
Old 07-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #221
Road Trip!

Quote:

Haha nice!...but yeah no real chance of 13's w/o atleast d/r's...and trust me if you launch hard on street tires you're gunna find yourself in the 15's!!...you'll be spinnin bad out the hole. But on that note give yourself as many runs as you can to get used to the track and how to feather the clutch for the best 60ft. That will be one of the biggest things on your et is your 60ft..
yeah what he said. ^
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #222
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

Yup, my friend with the vert ran the 14.5 spinning with my old cobra r rims and bald tires heh. I know I need to get a good 60 ft, my best 60 ft with the sick aod doing the shuffle and launching around 1600-1800 was 2.300 here's the slip from my best 1/4.

I'm definately hoping to do way better than that lol, best reaction time was .135. I saved all my slips.

I'm 701 by the way
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1653218916.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	671.2 KB
ID:	61632  

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #223
Pete Jones
Regular

Still waiting to get a flywheel :/ money has been tight since the wife has been off work from our third child.

Was hoping to sell the hatch off my gt yesterday but was told something came up so I didn't get it sold yet. Had the plan to sell the hatch, come home tear it down, run to Jegs or advance and pick up a new one and have it all back together by Sunday. possibly drive it to work Monday but I guess I'll have to wait a little longer.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #224
Road Trip!

Quote:
Still waiting to get a flywheel :/ money has been tight since the wife has been off work from our third child.

Was hoping to sell the hatch off my gt yesterday but was told something came up so I didn't get it sold yet. Had the plan to sell the hatch, come home tear it down, run to Jegs or advance and pick up a new one and have it all back together by Sunday. possibly drive it to work Monday but I guess I'll have to wait a little longer.
That sux. Just remember... Good things happen to little boys that are patient...
Old 08-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #225
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

That sux. Just remember... Good things happen to little boys that are patient...
The good things better pick up soon before I get impatient! Lol

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #226
Pete Jones
Regular

Ok I found something rather odd when I pulled my computer to put in the a9s....there was something plugged into the bottom of the a9p computer that reads part # 690011 serial # 85197 FORD POWER MODULE 1990 ford mustang 302 hi port injected auto with OD...

Does this mean my car is chipped? I'm kind of reluctant to put the a9s in there now... Maybe Trojan can lend me a hand, here's a couple pics

Edit: ok so apparently it's a hypertech chip for the aod mustangs, says it improves spark, fuel delivery, HP, torque and shift points. Still wondering if I should just put it back in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-114103446.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	666.7 KB
ID:	63120   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-823835695.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	647.0 KB
ID:	63121  

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #227
Pete Jones
Regular

So there's only a 1 number difference between the one for a manual and the auto but I have to call hypertech to see if I can interchange it with a manual computer.

Friend of mine keeps telling me the auto computers are better because they were supposed to have more horse because of the automatics yet I tell him I've heard the manual computers are the ones that have the more aggressive programming.

Should I just put the a9p back in with the chip or swap in my a9s manual computer?

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #228
Filibuster

Hmmm??.. I'm sure you know the comp for the manuals is a bit more aggressive, but I wonder if that chip will make up for that?
TH is the guy that will give us the answer im sure..
Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #229
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
Hmmm??.. I'm sure you know the comp for the manuals is a bit more aggressive, but I wonder if that chip will make up for that?
TH is the guy that will give us the answer im sure..
The chip would also explain why it shifted so hard and would shift at 5 grand right on the button every time if you just mashed the gas and left it in drive.

My 90 does seem to run alot stronger than my 87 gt with basically the exact same mods. I can mash it, get first, nail the clutch and get 2nd. I couldn't do that in my gt. I was lucky if I got a chirp out of it in 2nd.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #230
Road Trip!
Supporter

I doubt that the chip will work for the manual computer if it is meant for the auto computer. The programming is different and actually as I found out a while back the auto computer has the more aggressive tuning. That info and the proof is in a thread in this forum, I just don't remember which thread it was for sure.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #231
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
I doubt that the chip will work for the manual computer if it is meant for the auto computer. The programming is different and actually as I found out a while back the auto computer has the more aggressive tuning. That info and the proof is in a thread in this forum, I just don't remember which thread it was for sure.
are the computers that much different or just programmed different? the reason i ask is cause maybe he could get it reburned?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #232
Filibuster

No s#it?...I always thought the manual had the more aggressive tune?....
Goes to show I don't know squat about comps:/
Old 08-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #233
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
are the computers that much different or just programmed different? the reason i ask is cause maybe he could get it reburned?
Just programmed different I think. He probably could get it reburned, but he may be better off to just use the auto computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
No s#it?...I always thought the manual had the more aggressive tune?....
Goes to show I don't know squat about comps:/

So did I. I was under that impression for years and 93 clued me in to my error. Once I researched it I found a chart that showed the timing events and the auto was more aggressive.

However, I believe (and I hope I'm not wrong again) the 94/95 computers are opposite, because they pull timing out right before the auto shifts.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #234
Pete Jones
Regular

Hmmm, thanks for the info Trojan! Looks like I'll just put the a9p with the chip back in it and leave her be.

It does run pretty good but when I goto shift the rpms don't hang like they normally would with a manual. Soon as I hit the clutch the rpms drop, sometimes drop to 500 or lower then bounce back up. I'm thinking it may be a timing issue but I don't have a timing light to see where I'm running at.

I thought I set it up 14 but I remember turning it a little trying to get my dead spot out of the throttle.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #235
Pete Jones
Regular

So I emailed hypertech about the chip. They said it would not work correctly in a manual computer because the programming is different(which I figured they would say).

I then asked them what type of gain did this chip have in an auto computer over a manual without and they said that it's a 30hp gain if the chip is in either computer. I had to email them back and ask if it still worked with mods because I've read it's only good for a stock 302.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #236
Road Trip!

maybe you could sell it?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #237
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
maybe you could sell it?
I don't know anyone that has an aod stang that would want it heh. But I thinkin just gonna keep running it with the a9p and maybe get rid of my a9S. I also have a hard to find maf engine bay harness but I'm gonna hang on to it. Picked it up for $50 bucks when normally people want an arm and a leg for one.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #238
Road Trip!

Quote:

I don't know anyone that has an aod stang that would want it heh. But I thinkin just gonna keep running it with the a9p and maybe get rid of my a9S. I also have a hard to find maf engine bay harness but I'm gonna hang on to it. Picked it up for $50 bucks when normally people want an arm and a leg for one.
To bad. Someone on another thread just yesterday was looking for some maf harneses.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #239
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

To bad. Someone on another thread just yesterday was looking for some maf harneses.
Took me 2 years to find the correct harness that would work with my 87. Found it on craigslist, called the guy up and asked if he still had it and he said yep, $50 bucks and it's yours. He went carb'd dss 331 and just wanted it out of his garage do I said hold it I'll be up in about an hour or so! Lol

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #240
Road Trip!

Quote:

Took me 2 years to find the correct harness that would work with my 87. Found it on craigslist, called the guy up and asked if he still had it and he said yep, $50 bucks and it's yours. He went carb'd dss 331 and just wanted it out of his garage do I said hold it I'll be up in about an hour or so! Lol
Nice. Hell of a deal
Old 08-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #241
Pete Jones
Regular

This is the reply I got from hypertech about if the chip would still work with my mods:

This Power Module was designed around a stock vehicle; minor modifications can be used. This will not work properly with the modifications you mentioned. This and all Ford Power Modules of this design are no longer in production. For custom tuning which you’ll need contact TJ @ Motorvation ph# 901-275-2500.

So evidently I have a little paper weight?

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #242
Road Trip!

Quote:
This is the reply I got from hypertech about if the chip would still work with my mods:

This Power Module was designed around a stock vehicle; minor modifications can be used. This will not work properly with the modifications you mentioned. This and all Ford Power Modules of this design are no longer in production. For custom tuning which you’ll need contact TJ @ Motorvation ph# 901-275-2500.

So evidently I have a little paper weight?
Looks like a paper weight if I ever saw one. You maybe able to sell it though?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #243
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

Looks like a paper weight if I ever saw one. You maybe able to sell it though?
I probably could but I honestly don't even know how much to ask for it or anything :/
Most people don't leave their cars stock or mildy modded for long.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #244
Road Trip!

Well put a string on it and hang it from your rear view mirror.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #245
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
Well put a string on it and hang it from your rear view mirror.
Lol, that's a good idea! I might just say screw it and leave it plugged into it, it's been in there this long do it's not hurting anything

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT