Cooling prob - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #36
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
it may fix the problem. but really unless you are highly modified it shouldnt be neccasary
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My toughts exactly
Kenny laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #38
Road Trip!

ismthis a new motor? if so whats done? and what fuel pressure are you running? a lean mixture will causemcooling issues to because there wont be enough fuel to cool the pistons in between fire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Not new motor. Paxton fuel metering is at about 35 to 40. Had supercharger on it but bearings were bad so its not on right now. Last summer started runing hot found a bunch of leaks fixed them and just havent been able to get under control sense. Runs fine as long as is not in the 90s outside just dont get it Car was cold and drove home about 2 miles after work its in the 90s out right now car was runin about 195

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Im about to just tear this thing apart
Old 07-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #40
Road Trip!

nothing wrong with 195. i wanna say a stock thermostat is 193* or so.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Its frustrating. Take good care of my car and have freind with same year car system full of rust never does anything to it and temp never moves his car runs great. Just my luck i guess

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

I have a 180 in it. No nothing wrong with 195 but it will keep going up if i dont turn off

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Also ounce it gets to about 200 my oil pressure gage starts going up and down
Old 07-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #42
Road Trip!

even 200 isnt to bad. once it gets over 205 i would worry. that is wierd about the oil bouncing around.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Yeah at 200 my heater goes on to high lol
Old 07-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #44
Road Trip!

im still saying give the high flow thermostat a shot. it should knock you down a few dgrees.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Ya my oil pressure is always on the high end but ounce car get to 200 or close to it it starts fluctuating

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

What u rhink about putn a160 thermo
Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #46
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny laird
Ya my oil pressure is always on the high end but ounce car get to 200 or close to it it starts fluctuating
im not sure why it would do that. cant help u on that one.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so pressure tested ststem again and have a leak not bad but def a leak. Will hold pressure for a little bit but drops a couple pounds every few min. Do u think this could b enough to couse to run hot.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1324216956.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	593.2 KB
ID:	58622
Old 07-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

The leak is under these heater houses on the little line that runs to egr spacer
Old 07-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I just replaced my lower one
Old 07-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

So i have replaced all hoses and pressure test and i still have a leak its driping of the bottom of bell houseing. All my heater houses are good and not leaking and replace the ones runing to egr valve spacer cant see any of them leaking but still coolant driping fom bell houseing. Any ideas on were it could b coming from. I cant seem to find it
Old 07-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Im thinkn it leakn from intake. Guess it b a good excuse to do heads and upper and lower intake
Old 07-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Sorry I didnt take too much time to read all the responses but have the heads been removed\modified in anyway because maybe the water jackets are misaligned/plugged/backwards in the heads causing reduced flow or cavitation therefore yielding an extreme build up of heat . Its a long shot but I figured id ask
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

No motor is stock never been touched.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #55
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Cooling prob

See if you can get a mirror and light and check the back of the heads. Not sure they do, but if they have the small freeze plugs in them, one could be leaking.
Otherwise I would agree with the intake gasket possibly leaking.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Didnt even think of useing a mirror. Thanks again trojan. I truely appreciate all ur help
Old 07-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #57
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny laird View Post
Didnt even think of useing a mirror. Thanks again trojan. I truely appreciate all ur help
No problem, good luck finding the issue.
Be sure to eyeball the edges of the intake too where the coolant passages are.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Hey have u knocked out the temp sender as mabye a culprit. If u have changed everything to deal with the cooling system and still reading hot. This is just a idea but get a buddy with u and find the temp sender on the lower intake and unplug it. Then u turn the key on amd get your buddy to ground the signal wire thst goes the the temp sender and thrn u watch the temp gauge and it will peg all the way to hot if it's workin correctly
Rob94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Sensors are all new have autometer gage to it reads the same is crazy only gets up to about 210 when driving and is warm out. I can stop and let idle and it cools back to 170 180

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

So im sure all the leaks are fixed. I have a electric that kick on about 170 and high flow 160 thermostat from summit car will idle fine never got hot. Took a long drive last night didnt loose any coolant but on freeway it will get up to 210. 215 then i can pull over and sit at idle and it cools back down to about 175. I dont understand wth. Or on a down hil in 5 th at about 22 hun rpm just cruzing it will cool down then on flat ground at same rpm it heats back up. So confused
Old 07-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #60
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Sensors are all new have autometer gage to it reads the same is crazy only gets up to about 210 when driving and is warm out. I can stop and let idle and it cools back to 170 180

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

So im sure all the leaks are fixed. I have a electric that kick on about 170 and high flow 160 thermostat from summit car will idle fine never got hot. Took a long drive last night didnt loose any coolant but on freeway it will get up to 210. 215 then i can pull over and sit at idle and it cools back down to about 175. I dont understand wth. Or on a down hil in 5 th at about 22 hun rpm just cruzing it will cool down then on flat ground at same rpm it heats back up. So confused
1. The 160° thermostat is to cool, put the factory 195° back in it.
2. You evidently have an air flow or coolant circulation problem at speed.
3. Make sure your fan and water pump are turning in the correct direction.
4. If your water pump is old the impeller could be worn out or damaged.
5. The fan should draw air from the front of the car and blow it back over the engine. It is easy to wire them wrong and have them blowing the wrong direction.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Water pump is new and i have sat watched the coolant circulate great. I had that thermstat bake in last week and it just made the prob worse. Realy confused right now have never had this many probs with temp

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Fan is def pulling air not pushing. Im runing my timing at 14 btdc. Car runs hard but u think maybe to far. Maybe go back to 10 or 12
Old 07-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #62
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Water pump is new and i have sat watched the coolant circulate great. I had that thermstat bake in last week and it just made the prob worse. Realy confused right now have never had this many probs with temp

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Fan is def pulling air not pushing. Im runing my timing at 14 btdc. Car runs hard but u think maybe to far. Maybe go back to 10 or 12
You timing advance is not affecting the temperature, but take it back to 10° until you get the cooling sorted out.

Are you sure you got the correct water pump and that it is turning in the right direction?
Just because you can see coolant moving doesn't mean it is circulating properly.

You may have some air trapped in the system. Try finding the highest point that you could loosen up a fitting or something to let any trapped air out, but be careful with hot coolant.

Are you sure your fuel pressure is correct and the engine is getting enough fuel?
If it is running lean, then it will heat up.

Make sure there is no debris between the radiator and AC condenser too.

Have you flushed and cleaned out the cooling system?
Old 07-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

You timing advance is not affecting the temperature, but take it back to 10° until you get the cooling sorted out.

Are you sure you got the correct water pump and that it is turning in the right direction?
Just because you can see coolant moving doesn't mean it is circulating properly.

You may have some air trapped in the system. Try finding the highest point that you could loosen up a fitting or something to let any trapped air out, but be careful with hot coolant.

Are you sure your fuel pressure is correct and the engine is getting enough fuel?
If it is running lean, then it will heat up.

Make sure there is no debris between the radiator and AC condenser too.

Have you flushed and cleaned out the cooling system?
Yes to all except makn sure it the right water pump. How do i check to make sure. Guess i just trusted they gave me the rigt one. Im gonna run car today and watch the temps on headers to se if theya are all about equal

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

How do i make sure its the right pump. I just trusted they gave me the right one. Doesent seem to run lean but how can i make sure
Old 07-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #64
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yes to all except makn sure it the right water pump. How do i check to make sure. Guess i just trusted they gave me the rigt one. Im gonna run car today and watch the temps on headers to se if theya are all about equal

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

How do i make sure its the right pump. I just trusted they gave me the right one. Doesent seem to run lean but how can i make sure
There is no way to tell that I know of with the pump installed.
Maybe there are some numbers on the pump or receipt that you could cross reference at the manufacturer's website?

Without a wideband, you are limited to pulling and inspecting the spark plugs.
There is an article/pic in one of the sticky threads on what to look for I believe.

Also look for headers that glow red in low light conditions. That is an indicator it is to lean.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Dont seem to have a lean issue plugs look good. Gonna look into this water pump. U say it will still look to b circulating good even its wrong one huh
Old 07-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Been out here checkn plugs and temps on exhaust. Everything checks out. Its gotta b this water pump. Gonna order high flow from for today
Old 07-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #67
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Dont seem to have a lean issue plugs look good. Gonna look into this water pump. U say it will still look to b circulating good even its wrong one huh
The coolant will still circulate, just not near as well as it should.
The flow should move from the top hose over to the bottom hose.
The top hose is the return from the engine and the bottom hose is the water pump suction side.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Se my coolant looks to b circulating great i mean it flown good
Old 07-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

U understand how it works that y im so frustrated at this point think just gonna leave in garage for a few days and calm down.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

So the waterpump i had was brand new from kragen. I would only run hot while driving and had done everything i could think off with no luck. So i ripped the water pump back out and replaced with high flow edelbrok pump prob is gone car doesent get above 180 to 185 so happy. Was lookn at pump from kragen and have never seen such a ****y desighn. Will never buy another part from kragen oriely Here is a pic of pump

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4124587677.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	550.4 KB
ID:	61028

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT