Cooling prob - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The pump turns counter clockwise so from this angle it would b turning clocwise i dont see how it would even pump water
Kenny laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #72
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Cooling prob

Yeah, when you buy cheap parts that's what you get. Glad you got it fixed.

That impeller looks like it was built to turn the wrong direction for a 5.0, I bet they gave you the wrong pump.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

I tought it looked bacwards t im takn it back to them to talk a little crap. Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #74
Road Trip!
Supporter

Be 100% sure you are right before you do that.

It looks to me from the picture that the pump would have to turn clockwise to pump, correct?

The 5.0 Fox Body pump needs to turn counterclockwise to pump.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

For sure. Yes it should turn counterclock wise. I can see how it would function good either way. Looks like a piece of ........... To me. Just glad this issue is finaly over. What a nightmare. Good thing is i know my cooling sysem will b good for a long time

---------- Post added at 01:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

Pick is back obviosly so looking from this direction it would b turning clockwise with front turning counterclockwise
Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #76
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Just make sure the pump is for the right year. When the fox went serpentine they moved the belt to the other side of the pulley and changed directions of the water pump. I tried an 86 or 85 (idk) pump on my 88 and it wouodnt pump water properly.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Ok im back. So i had all kinds of cooling issues. Long story short i found the thermstat was in backwards and had some leaks. The car would get hot at idle and cool down when started driving. Fixed leaks and themostate put a electric fan from flex lite I have a 160 thermostat and put a highflow edelbrok waterpump. Now in town i have no probs but ounce i hit freeway it slowly gets warmer and warmer. If i pull of and let idle it slowly cools back down. Im lost with this thing cant seem to win. Any help would b great.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #78
Road Trip!

Usually at high speeds it will actually cool better.

Are your fins on your radiator in good shape? It seems to me your not adequate air flow at speed.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Thats how it seems to me to. Before i put thermo in corect way and instaled elecric fan it ran cool on highway and hot in town. Its so weird. And im truely tired of this problem yes radiator is in good shape. I have the fan coming on at 160 just to try to help for now till i can figure whats cousing this issue
Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

My thoughts are more towards an airflow issue. Some blockage at higher airflow speeds. Good that it isn't heating up at idle while parked. Once you get up to freeway speed the fan isn't going to help.
MedxGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

I know at high speed the fan wont help. But it seems to b airflow issue to would make sence but i have made sure theres no blockage and like i said it was great on freeway before i put thermo in the correct way. Spring side towards the motor. Idk.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Or on a down hill it will cool on freeway to soon as hit flat ground it warms up again. So weird
Old 08-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

What temp is it running on the freeway? With the 160 'stat, I would expect 165-175. AC running? Outside air temp?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #83
Road Trip!

I wouldn't run any thermostat that is cooler than stock for a couple reasons.

First it will take longer for your oil to get to temp

Second, the water will be almost constantly flowing and not allow time for it to sit in the radiator and cool.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

I think the stat discussion is owner preference. The issue is cooling problem, and coolant 'sitting' is unrelated to heat exchange. I personally stick with a stock stat, due to multiple issues.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

In towm its runing about 175 When i get on freeway it goes to 200 and stays there
Old 08-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #86
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedxGT
I think the stat discussion is owner preference. The issue is cooling problem, and coolant 'sitting' is unrelated to heat exchange. I personally stick with a stock stat, due to multiple issues.
I wouldn't say owner preference as these motors aren't designed to use a 160*. And it would definitely have affects related to cooling issues.

But anyways OP. This thread is getting lengthy. Maybe we can go over everything that's been done and what's still going on, so we can get on track. The info is staring to get spread out. And may help us or anyone else reading to get everything in one place.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

No ac

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

I put the high flow 160 stat in when it was getn hot in town. Think im gonna try changing it idk so confused
Old 08-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #88
Road Trip!

Sometimes a 160 will work as a bandaid. But like I stated I wouldn't leave it in there forever.

So you say no ac?

And also a normal operating temp is anywhere from 190-205. If you are in that range then you are fine.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Thinkn dreamstang could b right. With the highflow pump and highflow stat the coolant movn fast through radiator. Maybe its not cooling enough when i radiator. I never closes when cars runing
Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #90
Road Trip!

Region: Illinois
This is gonna sound stupid, but is the plastic air deflector under your front bumper still there? That is very important it forces air up to your radiator.
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #91
Road Trip!

How hot does it get when it gets hot? Cause you mentioned 200. If that's all then its perfectly fine.

I use a high flow 185 in mine. Not pump though. You should be alright with high flow but maybe not if your low thermostat is staying open the whole time.
You maybe try taking out the thermostat. And see if your problem stays exactly the same. If nothing changes then you know its because of that.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz
This is gonna sound stupid, but is the plastic air deflector under your front bumper still there? That is very important it forces air up to your radiator.
That's not stupid at all.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Yes its there
Old 08-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #93
Road Trip!

Region: Illinois
Okay
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

It runs the same no matter what the twmp is outside. It will run same temp at night when its cool as it doe when its 90 outside. Gonna b 105 here today. Hate the weather here lol

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

I know 200 is fine what bothers me is the inconsistance of it It shouldnt b all ober the place like this. I have owened 5 fox body and the all ran anout 190 all the time
Old 08-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #95
Road Trip!

I say put a higher thermostat in it. You can stay high flow if you wish. But get a higher thermostat and see what happens. You can pick them up pretty cheap.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Ya i think im gonna take it out completely and see if it stays the same i think havn this highflow 160 is about the same as not havn one at all. This water pump from edelbrok is awsome never seen coolant flow so good. Its realy movn
Old 08-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Well its hot as hell here today and in town in stays at 175 180 so happy about that but im leakn coolant from manifold so time park and tear down. Gonna try and get upper and lower intake and just do whole top end. Thanks for the help from everyone
Old 08-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #98
Road Trip!

that sux man. but your welcome and good luck
Old 08-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #99
Road Trip!
Supporter

If it gets hot at higher speed and cools down at the lower ranges, then you may have a cracked block, cracked head or blown gasket.
The only issue with that theory is that I'm surprised that you don't see some white smoke or vapor out the tail pipes, notice any bubbling in the radiator or you are not blowing water out of the overflow.

The only other things I can think of is that your engine oil may be losing its lubricity, causing the engine to heat up more at higher RPM's or maybe the EGR valve is stuck wide open pouring hot exhaust gases into the intake all the time which could cause the engine to heat up at speed from the volume of hot gases passing through it.

Running a 160° T-stat or no T-stat is not going to help and is more detrimental to the engine than running the proper temperature T-stat. You need the proper temp T-stat to regulate the coolant flow correctly. If it passes through the engine too fast the coolant will not pick up much heat from the engine and it forces the ECU to go into closed loop which sends to much fuel into the engine washing down the cylinder walls and eventually contaminating the oil (lubricity loss) and damaging the engine from inadequate lubrication.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #100
Road Trip!

He said he had intake leak. So yeah that is probably the inconsistencys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT