lifters - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
lifters

How do I get lifters out? Some will come out easy, others I can't get.
Jimmygun911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
A strong magnet. Or spin the crank over exactly 2 turns so you keep tdc. Then pull them out as they come up.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The lifters are now out. They are worn pretty bad. So I'm thinking of a cam and lifters. Should I get a cam? And if so should I get a oversized cam even though I have pop up pistons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Road Trip!

What mods do you have? If you oversize your cam you will lose power, especially in the normal street powerband. I would keep it normal with a b303 or e303. If you have lots of mods I would contact a cam expert.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I believe they are e303 heads. She is bored out 30 over. And just some Hooker headers. So I should just go stock cam, and lifters? If I do change the cam I would have to get different heads right?
Old 06-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmygun911
I believe they are e303 heads. She is bored out 30 over. And just some Hooker headers. So I should just go stock cam, and lifters? If I do change the cam I would have to get different heads right?
E303 heads??? He meant an e303 or b303 cam.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

You don't have to change your heads if you want a different cam but you won't really gain much without changing them.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

O. I'm not sure I bought the car two weeks ago. Is their anyway I could tell. Is their numbers or anything on it.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Road Trip!

there are no e303 heads my friend.

ok. first off. you are gonna need to do lots of investigating, checking , and researching. i will do my best to help as will anyone else here.

1: you have raised domed pistons? can you see any numbers on the top if you clean them good?

2: if you have the heads off there should be numbers on them. before you go much further you need to find out what heads you have and if your keeping them.

3: if your keeping your heads, you need to put the lifter, head and valtrain back together with the old gasket and bolt it back up. then you need to check piton to valve clearance with your current cam. it would also be a good idea to check lift on intake and exhaust so we can cross reference your specs and find out what cam you have.

after you do all this we can see what you have. then we will also know what kind of clearances you have to better help select the best parts for your build. this stuff sounds intimidating but is not really the hard to do.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
there are no e303 heads my friend.

ok. first off. you are gonna need to do lots of investigating, checking , and researching. i will do my best to help as will anyone else here.

1: you have raised domed pistons? can you see any numbers on the top if youmclean them good?

2: if you have the heads off there should be numbers on them. before you go much further you need to find out what heads you have and if your keeping them.

3: if your keeping your heads, you need to put the lifter, head and valtrain back together with the old gasket and bolt it back up. then you need to check piton to valve clearance with your current cam. it would also be a good idea to check lift on intake and exhaust so we can cross reference your specs and find out what cam you have.

after you do all this we can see what you have. then we will also know what kind of clearances you have to better help select the best parts for your build. this stuff sounds intimidating but is not really the hard to do.
+1, it's easy to do, just get a Haynes or chiltons manual to help with the assembly/ disassembly. We'll be here to help with everything else.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I put clay on top of my piston and bolted the head on to see if it would hit the clay which was about a 1/4 inch tall. I turned the crank with the exhaust and intake valves opening twice and seen no marks on the clay so I should have enough clearance. I ordered a little bigger cam and I will do the same thing when I get it in. What do you guys think? Is this idea OK.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

the pistons are pop up. And the numbers are on the side which are 116 and 99. One of them is the part number I think. The heads I believe are stock. They said Ea2e. Something like that.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmygun911
I put clay on top of my piston and bolted the head on to see if it would hit the clay which was about a 1/4 inch tall. I turned the crank with the exhaust and intake valves opening twice and seen no marks on the clay so I should have enough clearance. I ordered a little bigger cam and I will do the same thing when I get it in. What do you guys think? Is this idea OK.
i cant tell you for sure. but it sounds like it would be ok.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the info guys. Appreciate it. Ill let you know how the car comes out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT