Need some opinions ... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Need some opinions ...

Okay so im going to get my explore heads and intakes this week... im planning on running nitros in my car what all should i buy for internals links and opinions are much appreciated !
Blackbeauty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Need some opinions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty95 View Post
Okay so im going to get my explore heads and intakes this week... im planning on running nitros in my car what all should i buy for internals links and opinions are much appreciated !
That will depend upon how much nitrous you plan to use.
If you push it to 500 HP or over you will need a fully forged bottom end and a good block for it to hold up. A 100-150 shot you can probably get by with some colder plugs and timing ******.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That answered my question lol i figured while im buying new parts i might as well get everything im gonna need ill probly go for the forged internals just to be on the safe side

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

I dont know what horsepower im gonna be around but get this my uncle has a 454 he isnt using and said i could have it i was just curious how much would.be involved to drop a chevy motor in a ford ;p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I dont know what horsepower im gonna be around but get this my uncle has a 454 he isnt using and said i could have it i was just curious how much would.be involved to drop a chevy motor in a ford ;p
You are in the wrong place to ask a question like that.

There would be quite a bit involved and you would need a transmission too.

I read in a Hot Rod magazine xx years ago a little saying I like to pass on to anyone considering putting a Chevy engine in a Ford.

It went something like this:

Quote:
If you are to inexperienced to figure out how to build horsepower with a Ford engine, then use a Chevrolet engine.
Everything that can be done to them already has been done to them, so you won't need to think much about what you are doing, just copy off of one of the hundreds or thousands of combinations that have already been tried and used successfully.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

You are in the wrong place to ask a question like that.

There would be quite a bit involved and you would need a transmission too.

I read in a Hot Rod magazine xx years ago a little saying I like to pass on to anyone considering putting a Chevy engine in a Ford.

It went something like this:
haha that quote just made my morning
351mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i would love to get my hands on a bbf lol any ideas what they come in like older trucks or anything ... only reason on the bbc is because it would be free lol
Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Sacrilegious
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Lol im not set on one company i love all cars ! But i think im loving my mustang the most by far lol
Old 06-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
Road Trip!

I'm set on ford. I own 3 of them. But I do respect any old muscle car era hot rod. But I would never mix and match them. It's just a pet pieve of mine. I also don't like when people mut out a car. For instance throw cobra badges on a gt. Etc. This is just my opinion and definitely not trying to offend you
Old 06-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah i would love to get my hands on a bbf lol any ideas what they come in like older trucks or anything ... only reason on the bbc is because it would be free lol
How many do you want?
I have 4-5 stored in my garage in various states of disassembly.

Yes, older big cars and pickups will usually have them.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

No offence taken... to each there own but whats the easies big block to throw in my 95 gt-s
Old 06-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty95
No offence taken... to each there own but whats the easies big block to throw in my 95 gt-s
Honestly I think the amount of work is gonna be pretty similiar. Motor mounts, cross member, special headers, transmission, possibly drive shaft. etc etc.

The reason people don't put big blocks in our cars, is because of the weight. The sag the front end of the car a lot. It makes for traction and drivability issues. But if you do it, and can drop a lot of other weight off the front of the car, it should be an animal.

Do some google searching of kits. They make a lot of kits for these things. If you can't afford the kit, just see what's in it. Then source the parts yourself.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

So then what block do you guys recommend cause my goal is to run low 10's in the quarter mile
Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
You don't need a big block to run 10s
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003
You don't need a big block to run 10s
I agree. The only difference is you'll be missing some cool factor. But you can easily make up the cool factor by putting twins on a poked and stroked 351 block.

My neighbors mustang, which was featured in mm & ff about 5 years ago runs high 8s on his 351 based 427 with a 150 shot. He runs 9s NA. He is pushing around 700-800 hp NA.

A 351 poked,stroked, and supported with forged internals can get you into the 8s. This still isn't gonna be cheap by any means. But not to many 8-9 second motors are. This would be the way I would go. You can do it NA and be reliable. And this would be the easiest swap to do.

Hell you can get into the 10s with your 302. It will take some work. And the rest of the car will need to be able to do it.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

+1 What they said.

I have seen a few vids of stock block 302s running 10's.
Doing so with a 351W Stroker will be even easier.

If you are doing a drag strip only car then I might consider a BBF, but for most purposes, even a strip only car, the 351W will provide you with plenty of power.
There are numerous 800-1000+ HP 351W's serving for street & strip, just browse the videos on You Tube.
Check out the 351Ws stroked to 427's on Nelson Racing Engines if you want to see the kind of power they can develop.

I intend for my final build to be a 351W, bored and stroked to 408-427 cubic inches. I will start with a Boss 351W block, fill it with forged internals, a main cap girdle and windage tray. After that will come the cam, intake and forced induction choices needed to reach the power level I desire.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

So what older vehicals cam with a 351w so i can call around and get one?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #18
Road Trip!

where do you live?

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

the reason i asked is cause i know someone selling his bronce for dirt cheap. it has a fully mild built 351 with a blown head gasket. i have rode shotgun many times in this beast. but anyways what sucks about it is you probably couldnt use alot of goodies off of it. the intake is a truck intake so it is really tall. but if you want more info on it let me know. i actually thought of buying it, but i dont have the $$

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

you can find 351s in late model trucks to. like 80s and 90s f150s broncos and e150 vans. thats where i would look.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Youngstown ohio and how do i know if its a 351 or not?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Youngstown ohio and how do i know if its a 351 or not?
honestly i dont know the easiest way. i do know that youncan tell by the width. the 351s are about 1 1/4" wider. if youd like i can try to gather that info. because i to will need it one day. or trojan will pop in with what we need cause hes like an encyclopedia.

oh i dont know where youngstown is but i live in northwest indiana.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

here, that was easy. lol

http://www.fordification.com/tech/engineID-V8.htm
Old 06-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
The block on a 351 is a pretty good bit taller. Look at the water outlet. It's like 2 inches higher compared to a bare 302 block
Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I love big blocks also nothing sounds like a high revving big block. We are doing a BBF b&s to a 532 and a set of boss9 heads, block I got for $900 already bored. The R/A was only 2k full forged. But the heads were the most expensive but well worth the price for a set of JK heads. Now this set up just needs the set of twin 88mms to complete the set up amd getting the car caged and tubbed. But you can get a stroked bbf and a set of SCJ heads and keep it in a budget.

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockish302
I love big blocks also nothing sounds like a high revving big block. We are doing a BBF b&s to a 532 and a set of boss9 heads, block I got for $900 already bored. The R/A was only 2k full forged. But the heads were the most expensive but well worth the price for a set of JK heads. Now this set up just needs the set of twin 88mms to complete the set up amd getting the car caged and tubbed. But you can get a stroked bbf and a set of SCJ heads and keep it in a budget.
Sounds like its gonna be sick. We were going for easiest and cheapest. Even though you were able to score some good deals it still takes a lot more to get it in the car. But I bet its gonna be fast as hell!!! :drool:
Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds bad azz but after hearing all the perks to a 351 i think im sold on that swap
Old 06-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #25
Road Trip!

oh yeah. i just realized we had this in the "useful mustang information" thread in the sticky section.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...wap/index.html
Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds bad azz but after hearing all the perks to a 351 i think im sold on that swap
Do a 408 on bottle and you'll be more than happy my friends first single digit car was a 150shot 408 6?(can't recall exact year) coupe. I loved that car, we used it for burger runs when I would help him out at the shop.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Sounds like its gonna be sick. We were going for easiest and cheapest. Even though you were able to score some good deals it still takes a lot more to get it in the car. But I bet its gonna be fast as hell!!! :drool:
The bbf not the cheapest or easiest but I think its by far the most rewarding once its done. I rarely see BBFs being used anymore thats why me and my friend decided to go with it. I hope its hella fast for the time and money that has been dumped in to the car and engine it better be lol

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
You can also find 351W in 80s and early 90s mercury lincoln and ford cars like some LTDs and crown Vic's cars like the but factory the truck motors tend to have more power
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone for all this info! I just got a promotion and raise at work so its a great day!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all this info! I just got a promotion and raise at work so its a great day!!!
Nice! Congrats man. Now you Will have more money to fund this beast.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i have a little secret stash fund from the old lady cause were getting married in September!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah i have a little secret stash fund from the old lady cause were getting married in September!
Lol I would get engaged but every time I see the rings I just think of all the parts I could buy lol Im a car guy what can I say

Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Lol i already got that one out of the way so im pretty much golden just a few odds and ends to still pay for and im gonna be.dumping ALOT of money into my baby! (Car lol)
Old 06-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Ok I was at maple grove raceway watching nmra races. Watched a steet driven fox run high 9s constant. On what I think was a small block that guy had one hill of a car .
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT