Transmission question? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Transmission question?

I put my stang in the shop because it was grinding 4 th gear and the guy called me yesterday and told me he was waiting on a part because the tranny in there was from a 4cyl. I didn't think about it at the time but I started doing some research and found that it can't be good to have a 4cyl tranny behind a v8. What can I do? Should I tell him to just see if he can find a WC? It looks like the rebuild for the one I have is as much as a brand new WC. I'm just a daily driver kind of position and want durability. Not trying to make a drag car.
ItsjustaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsjustaGT
I put my stang in the shop because it was grinding 4 th gear and the guy called me yesterday and told me he was waiting on a part because the tranny in there was from a 4cyl. I didn't think about it at the time but I started doing some research and found that it can't be good to have a 4cyl tranny behind a v8. What can I do? Should I tell him to just see if he can find a WC? It looks like the rebuild for the one I have is as much as a brand new WC. I'm just a daily driver kind of position and want durability. Not trying to make a drag car.
the 4 banger trans will USUALLY hold up to normal dd'ing. but its still not as strong as a v8 trans. also just cause its a 4cylinder trans doesnt mean its not WC. your gonna have to make the call depending on your budget. obviously the best thing to do is get something better. but your call man.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Is it internals that could be changed? Or are they completely different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsjustaGT
Is it internals that could be changed? Or are they completely different?
i dont know exactly. i do think they use the same case though. but a normal rebuild doesnt require gears. if you tried to swap in v8 internals then it would be really costly.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

i dont know exactly. i do think they use the same case though. but a normal rebuild doesnt require gears. if you tried to swap in v8 internals then it would be really costly.
I'll call the guy tomorrow and see what he says. Thanks for your help

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT