lack of power where to start. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
lack of power where to start.

Ill try to make short and sweet but...ok always had issue since had car..start up doesnt happen always but seems if dont sit long enough before leave shift to second bucks and bogs and here slapping from rear almost like seems trying to push fuel through but wont go. Sometimes in higher gears doesnt go. After driving for bit gets normal. Just recently have tested my 0-60 time w speedo app..no launch just getting into in 2nd putting in 3rd when almost there..ive gotten 11.4 and a couple 10.4's. Crap. So background stock air box,intake, as far as know no cam, has headers long tube think. As far as things that have replaced or what not...fuel pump,filter,spark plugs and wires, dist rotor, water pump, tstat, radiator, hoses, battery, alternator. Ive cleaned maf and iac. Have not testes maf dont know how, have not tested tps..seen threads might look into or replace. Read threads of a switch under seat for ignition i think..if i get into it especially 2nd it will start jerking and obviously not getting all power. Mech drove before said seemed like someone was switching ignition on and off thats why i asked of switch..and the dreaded pcv filter for the life of me cant find or See. I see hoses going to back of intake but...i know this was long but advice would be appreciated. Thx
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: lack of power where to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90fox View Post
Ill try to make short and sweet but...ok always had issue since had car..start up doesnt happen always but seems if dont sit long enough before leave shift to second bucks and bogs and here slapping from rear almost like seems trying to push fuel through but wont go. Sometimes in higher gears doesnt go. After driving for bit gets normal. Just recently have tested my 0-60 time w speedo app..no launch just getting into in 2nd putting in 3rd when almost there..ive gotten 11.4 and a couple 10.4's. Crap. So background stock air box,intake, as far as know no cam, has headers long tube think. As far as things that have replaced or what not...fuel pump,filter,spark plugs and wires, dist rotor, water pump, tstat, radiator, hoses, battery, alternator. Ive cleaned maf and iac. Have not testes maf dont know how, have not tested tps..seen threads might look into or replace. Read threads of a switch under seat for ignition i think..if i get into it especially 2nd it will start jerking and obviously not getting all power. Mech drove before said seemed like someone was switching ignition on and off thats why i asked of switch..and the dreaded pcv filter for the life of me cant find or See. I see hoses going to back of intake but...i know this was long but advice would be appreciated. Thx
Do you have a Chilton's manual?
Most of the test procedures and trouble shooting procedures are in them.

The slapping you hear is probably slack in the driveline and when it is bucking it is slamming it back and forth. Eventually you will break something with it doing that.

Have you replaced or tested the O2 sensors?
Since it sounds like you are saying it straightens up after sitting and idling and warming up, I would start there.
Then you need to verify that the MAF and TPS are functioning properly.

Ford MAF Testing

Ford TPS Testing

Ford Electronics, Sensors, Relays, Injectors & Engine Tests
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thx. I do have a manual, but kinda hands on guy. Reading will make me confused lol but ill look. Testing tps doesnt seem bad. As far as o2 go i dont think they exist lol..i see a couple hanging but not hooked up. Maybe i should look at driveshaft, because got new clutch and used trans installed and it drips fluid from where it connects to trans down onto x or h pipe whichever ir is so when shut down, min later burning smell and smoke comes up through bezel. Bezel is not all the way on an boot wripped i can peel back and look down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90fox
Thx. I do have a manual, but kinda hands on guy. Reading will make me confused lol but ill look. Testing tps doesnt seem bad. As far as o2 go i dont think they exist lol..i see a couple hanging but not hooked up. Maybe i should look at driveshaft, because got new clutch and used trans installed and it drips fluid from where it connects to trans down onto x or h pipe whichever ir is so when shut down, min later burning smell and smoke comes up through bezel. Bezel is not all the way on an boot wripped i can peel back and look down
Even ford techs use books. The only difference is there books are larger, and more of.

You need this o2 sensors. They play a critical role in the ecu telling the engine what to do.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Hands on guys have to read too.
Those are links to test procedures at the bottom of my previous post.

You have to have the O2's hooked up and working. Otherwise your air/fuel mixture will always be off and eventually you will ruin your engine.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ill look into it as soon as can and have expendable income which is hard to come By. If no cats o2's still needed. How many should i have 2? And ill look at links if can. Ive read posts on testing tps few times. This is possible think i do run rich.

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 AM ----------

Just read maf testing...seems easy enough. Now when I just have time and money to get voltmeter unless dad has one. Work 2 jobs and dog just recently ruptured disc in back so mostly paralyzed rear end. Bro watches when I'm gone, but if I'm not working I'm watching and sleeping. Ill try to squeeze some time in soon. Tuesday is my day off but can't get meter today.
Will a paperclip or something work for probe? So I just stab it through casing and connect meter to probe? After done should I wrap wire w electrical tape to cover hole from probe?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ill look into it as soon as can and have expendable income which is hard to come By. If no cats o2's still needed. How many should i have 2? And ill look at links if can. Ive read posts on testing tps few times. This is possible think i do run rich.

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 AM ----------

Just read maf testing...seems easy enough. Now when I just have time and money to get voltmeter unless dad has one. Work 2 jobs and dog just recently ruptured disc in back so mostly paralyzed rear end. Bro watches when I'm gone, but if I'm not working I'm watching and sleeping. Ill try to squeeze some time in soon. Tuesday is my day off but can't get meter today.
Will a paperclip or something work for probe? So I just stab it through casing and connect meter to probe? After done should I wrap wire w electrical tape to cover hole from probe?
Yes, you still need the O2 sensors and there are 2 of them, one in each exhaust pipe.
You are probably spending a good bit more on gasoline than you should have to with them not working and like I said you are slowly, but surely ruining your engine.

A large pin or needle will probably work better as paper clips are not very sharp on the ends and yes, you should seal the holes with a bit of silicone or tape to keep moisture out.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good. Yes our gas is around 3.89. I put in 20 it varies but usually go 70-90 miles on that. I used to est getting like 15 mpg but now since recent new rad wp tstat clutch used trans it seems getting closer to 20 mpg.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't lift but just glanced under car and o2 sensors are hooked up. Can they be checked? Guess next time for oil change have em tested or replaced. Conveniently just before a vac. Not driving taking a bus
Old 06-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Didn't lift but just glanced under car and o2 sensors are hooked up. Can they be checked? Guess next time for oil change have em tested or replaced. Conveniently just before a vac. Not driving taking a bus
Yes, there is a testing link in the Useful Info sticky thread.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Strangely its been running pretty good. Only got into a couple times but no popping to point I took it. I've been sticking to shell gas past few tanks eer half tanks. So idk maybe dig deeper after vac next month and keep w shell for now for hell of it
Old 06-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
Filibuster

Just a thought when I do my oil changes I always clean my maf.with maf cleaner,but I neglected to the last time and felt my car wasn't ”up to par” cleaned the maf on wednesday and it was def an improvement...
Fyi my maf was dirty because I drove my car in rain with a fender mounted cai an no wheel well:/ eek!!
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Just a thought when I do my oil changes I always clean my maf.with maf cleaner,but I neglected to the last time and felt my car wasn't ”up to par” cleaned the maf on wednesday and it was def an improvement...
Fyi my maf was dirty because I drove my car in rain with a fender mounted cai an no wheel well:/ eek!!
You needs protection!
Never fear the "Trojan Man" is here!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
Filibuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

You needs protection!
Haha...its cool I fixed the prob!..i have protection now
Old 06-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ill try that. Cleaning maf was easy enough for me lol. For now take to shop for oil changes until whenever u get a new oil pan. It has a dent right at drain bolt. He can get ib abd out wo stripping so I take there. And um trojan you'll hate me...my fenders are hanging on for dear life. Only bolted along hood rest rotted both sides. I have to lift on fender to get in and out. I do get a lot of dirt in airbox settling on bottom.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ill try that. Cleaning maf was easy enough for me lol. For now take to shop for oil changes until whenever u get a new oil pan. It has a dent right at drain bolt. He can get ib abd out wo stripping so I take there. And um trojan you'll hate me...my fenders are hanging on for dear life. Only bolted along hood rest rotted both sides. I have to lift on fender to get in and out. I do get a lot of dirt in airbox settling on bottom.
No man, I won't ever hate you. We all do the best that we can with what we have to work with.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:53 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Lol, good. Ya I'm trying my best to bring her back from dead
Old 06-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #18
Filibuster

Right on man!!...keep your fox alive!..we're here for ya!..5.0!!
Old 06-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #19
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

You needs protection!
Ha! Your killing me!

---------- Post added at 03:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
When you cleaned your MAF, do you spray it only? Q-Tip action?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:08 AM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Ha! Your killing me!

---------- Post added at 03:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 AM ----------

When you cleaned your MAF, do you spray it only? Q-Tip action?
I've had many people call me that on many forums, so why not use it.

When cleaning the MAF using the MAF cleaner and just spraying it is safer, but if that doesn't remove the crud then you get out the Q-Tip, just be careful to not break the itty bitty wire.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #21
Filibuster

Quote:

I've had many people call me that on many forums, so why not use it.

When cleaning the MAF using the MAF cleaner and just spraying it is safer, but if that doesn't remove the crud then you get out the Q-Tip, just be careful to not break the itty bitty wire.
Never...NEVER!!..use a Q-tip!...only use maf cleaner!...don't mess up the hot wires!!...
Old 06-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Never...NEVER!!..use a Q-tip!...only use maf cleaner!...don't mess up the hot wires!!...
I've always used a Q-Tip whenever the MAF cleaner doesn't quite do the job.
Sometimes the crud is "baked" on the hot wires and just the spray alone won't get it off.
The alternative is to leave it and still have a malfunctioning MAF or try and get it off with a Q-Tip, in which case you definitely run the risk of breaking the wire, but then if it isn't working right anyways, what do you have to lose?

Been doing so for lots of years and no wire breakage to date.
You just have to be "very, very" careful.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #23
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Sometimes the crud is "baked" on the hot wires and just the spray alone won't get it off.
The alternative is to leave it and still have a malfunctioning MAF or try and get it off with a Q-Tip, in which case you definitely run the risk of breaking the wire, but then if it isn't working right anyways, what do you have to lose?

Thanks gentlemen!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #24
Filibuster

Quote:

You're a brave man that must've been driving maf's through tar pits with the dinosaurs my friend
I still say if maf spray wont clean it...it's fwacked!....lol
Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #25
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
You're a brave man that must've been driving maf's through tar pits with the dinosaurs my friend
I still say if maf spray wont clean it...it's fwacked!....lol
It's no biggie for me, but I can understand how some would be hesitant about attempting it.

My first encounter was because of an over oiled and not properly dried K&N air filter. The hot wire baked the oil on there and the MAF spray by itself just wouldn't remove the carbonized oil film. That finding led to me doing several more for friends and acquaintances who had done pretty much the same thing. Learning type experience ya' know.

I guess I am a "fwacked" MAF revival expert now. When you are poor, you will sometimes resort to desperate measures.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #26
Filibuster

Quote:

It's no biggie for me, but I can understand how some would be hesitant about attempting it.

My first encounter was because of an over oiled and not properly dried K&N air filter. The hot wire baked the oil on there and the MAF spray by itself just wouldn't remove the carbonized oil film. That finding led to me doing several more for friends and acquaintances who had done pretty much the same thing. Learning type experience ya' know.

I guess I am a "fwacked" MAF revival expert now. When you are poor, you will sometimes resort to desperate measures.
Touche...when you're poor + redneck like myself..I make it work!..haha gimme a john deer I'll run dat facker all day!..or better yet a dixie chopper (the hot rod of mowers)
Old 06-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #27
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Touche...when you're poor + redneck like myself..I make it work!..haha gimme a john deer I'll run dat facker all day!..or better yet a dixie chopper (the hot rod of mowers)
Me too, but I run old Cub Cadet garden tractors. My 73 model finally wore out the deck bearings last year. I figured 39 years of service just wasn't too bad.
Have you ever looked at the Bad Boy mowers? I want the Outlaw Extreme with the suspension and EZ ride seat.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Fuel pump
Haav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #29
Filibuster

Quote:

Me too, but I run old Cub Cadet garden tractors. My 73 model finally wore out the deck bearings last year. I figured 39 years of service just wasn't too bad.
Have you ever looked at the Bad Boy mowers? I want the Outlaw Extreme with the suspension and EZ ride seat.
Bad boys seems like a good mower but I think it's the ”ricer” lol
Dixie chopper is all american
They have twin engine models,diesel models they even put a 150hp chinook helicopter turbine engine on one to prove its strength and reliability!..
They actually had the ”jet mower” on home improvement!..lol

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Oh and to the op sorry For the Off topic yappin...
Old 06-25-2012, 03:06 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Ya mine didn't look tp bad suprisingly when did few months ago maybe 6 lol, just sprayed. Used finger around pinky action on iac

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT