E85? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: New York
E85?

Do ppl run e85 on mustangs(if tuned n fuel swapped) do u get better hp?
fast 94 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Re: E85?

Yeah I've actually been trying to do some research on "the corn" lol. Go to svtp forums and look under the distillery section. Lots of good info over there. I've read about 5-10% increase in numbers on e85. But also would have to get fuel system up to par, Injectors,pump,lines. ect.

What sparked my interest was a guy at the car show this past weekend. Telling me about his FI mach1 on e85. Said the car seems to love that fuel. He picked up 50hp on the corn at 22#s on a procharger d1sc.
TtownMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
I've heard you make good power with it but you mpg will suffer because your using more fuel to gain that power. At least that's what a tuner guy I know told me. He's pretty knowledgable with the e85 stuff.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
My explorer is flex fuel. And the gas mileage suffers about 25%. Also I have seen reviews were they compared identical motors with unleaded and e85. When they tore them apart the valves in the e85 motor looked like they had a million miles on them, while the unleaded looked fresh.

The benifit of e85, is its similar to 116 octane. So it gives you the advantage of being able to radically tune your car. Me personally would only run it in a race car where it won't see thousands of miles and gallons of fuel through it.[COLOR="Silver"]
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Yea cuz some ppl I know who have cars like STIs n EVOs run e85 n they get crazy power,,thought stangs work the same.lol
fast 94 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast 94 5.0
Yea cuz some ppl I know who have cars like STIs n EVOs run e85 n they get crazy power,,thought stangs work the same.lol
Well its not magic juice. Lol
It works like any other high octane fuel does. It allows you to run a more aggressive tune without risk of detonation. Since it needs to be compressed more you can have higher timing settings, safer boost etc etc. That's why people see increase with it.

There is a e85 class that races at my local track and I have to say, they are pretty sick. I think its a 8.90 class.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

See the Useful Info thread, Post #7.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
See the Useful Info thread, Post #7.
i forgot about that one. my octane rating was off, but i knew it was pretty high.
i wont run it in my explorer but i think it would be bad @$$ in a blown drag car.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
i forgot about that one. my octane rating was off, but i knew it was pretty high.
i wont run it in my explorer but i think it would be bad @$$ in a blown drag car.
In a vehicle that is set up to use it, it is great, but to convert the older vehicles it is expensive and difficult. Plus it takes twice the amount of alcohol to make the same power as gasoline so your fuel economy is going down the tubes too.

I have thought about it and still do from time to time, but I think I'll just inject it into my air intake to help cool the air going through the SC and raise my octane a bit instead of trying to do a full conversion.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Road Trip!

as a dd check this article out. a good comparison.
more expensive
slower 1/4 , that is without agressive tune
nearly the same green house gases

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...ison-test.html

im trying to find the one i read about how the valve looked after use

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

i couldnt find it. but read through a few articles. they call it black tar.mit gets deposited through the intake, injectors, and all over the valves. people isually use sea foam to remove it. but i dont want to be apart of that as a dd.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
as a dd check this article out. a good comparison.
more expensive
slower 1/4 , that is without agressive tune
nearly the same green house gases

E85 vs. Gasoline Comparison Test - Edmunds.com

im trying to find the one i read about how the valve looked after use

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

i couldnt find it. but read through a few articles. they call it black tar.mit gets deposited through the intake, injectors, and all over the valves. people isually use sea foam to remove it. but i dont want to be apart of that as a dd.
Yep, If they had tuned for the E85 their performance would have been much better and likely their mileage would have been much less.

Here's a link with some more info. BG Products - Google Search

I'm thinking that I will add a small bit of Marvel Mystery Oil to each batch of alcohol I inject just for my own piece of mind, since it tends to "dry out" things.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yep, If they had tuned for the E85 their performance would have been much better and likely their mileage would have been much less.

Here's a link with some more info. BG Products - Google Search

I'm thinking that I will add a small bit of Marvel Mystery Oil to each batch of alcohol I inject just for my own piece of mind, since it tends to "dry out" things.
good link. about everyone thing you need to know.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT