timing????? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
timing?????

Was wonder how much I could advance or ****** the timing on my car to get a few xtra horsepower?!?!?
fordracing63857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing63857
Was wonder how much I could advance or ****** the timing on my car to get a few xtra horsepower?!?!?
About 14* advanced base timing seems about the sweet spot. You may need to use premium grade fuel to prevent detonation.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

About 14* advanced base timing seems about the sweet spot. You may need to use premium grade fuel to prevent detonation.
Anyone in a 5.0 should be running premium anyway...I know you know that just saying as a general statement
bad_little_pwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_little_pwny

Anyone in a 5.0 should be running premium anyway...I know you know that just saying as a general statement
I disagree. If you run stock timing NA then you are simply wasting money imo
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

I disagree. If you run stock timing NA then you are simply wasting money imo
+5.0 I'd run 87 in mine if I didn't have the timing advanced 14° but imo it woke the stang up enough to keep it that way!...and only run 93 to keep away from detonation.
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

+5.0 I'd run 87 in mine if I didn't have the timing advanced 14° but imo it woke the stang up enough to keep it that way!...and only run 93 to keep away from detonation.
right on. i run 15-16 * base timing with 36* total timing. so i am not risking it!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So should I set my timing at 14* or 36*?!? I'm confused here.....
fordracing63857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Road Trip!

14* is what you should set it at with premium fuel. this is at idle

the 36* is at wot with my mechanical advance mechanism.

the reason i run a little higher timing than everyone is because i can get away with a little more with the aluminum heads. i have actually read of people with my heads saying 17* base timing is the sweet spot. but i am a sissy. maybe when i go to the track after a few passes i may try it, after i make sure its not detonating.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Re: timing?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing63857 View Post
So should I set my timing at 14* or 36*?!? I'm confused here.....
Set your base timing to 14°. The 36° is the total timing and he is carbureted, not using the EFI computer, so he needs to control his timing advance all the way through himself.

P.S. I run 87 octane in my 86 GT all the time with the timing set to factory specs and no issues. Unless your engine has 10.5 compression or higher there is no need for premium fuel unless you just want to pay the extra for it.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Set your base timing to 14°. The 36° is the total timing and he is carbureted, not using the EFI computer, so he needs to control his timing advance all the way through himself.

P.S. I run 87 octane in my 86 GT all the time with the timing set to factory specs and no issues. Unless your engine has 10.5 compression or higher there is no need for premium fuel unless you just want to pay the extra for it.
yeah i guess i should hve been more specific.

so you dont advance your timing? im curious
Old 06-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
yeah i guess i should hve been more specific.

so you dont advance your timing? im curious
No, you did fine. I was writing that at the same time as you were writing your answer and you just beat me to the post.

Only when the situation calls for it and I have good fuel in the car.
With the power it makes I'm pretty happy with how it runs on 87 octane fuel.
I can be rolling at 15-20 mph in second and ease into the throttle and break the back tires loose as it was, so more is less sometimes. Hopefully the suspension and tire change will help the hook.

I really want to get the SC on it and see if I can do that in 4th at highway speeds.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:

No, you did fine. I was writing that at the same time as you were writing your answer and you just beat me to the post.

Only when the situation calls for it and I have good fuel in the car.
With the power it makes I'm pretty happy with how it runs on 87 octane fuel.
I can be rolling at 15-20 mph in second and ease into the throttle and break the back tires loose as it was, so more is less sometimes. Hopefully the suspension and tire change will help the hook.

I really want to get the SC on it and see if I can do that in 4th at highway speeds.
ok, gotcha.

i can break them loose at over 30-35. but i gotta drop it pretty hard. and it will just break loose. i am actually real happy with my suspension. it actually hooks better now, then before i upgraded my motor. that is unless i drop it hard. i think my real low ride height helps the lift bars out.

i bet you will have no problem breaking the tires loose at many speeds when all said and done. :drool:
Old 06-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
ok, gotcha.

i can break them loose at over 30-35. but i gotta drop it pretty hard. and it will just break loose. i am actually real happy with my suspension. it actually hooks better now, then before i upgraded my motor. that is unless i drop it hard. i think my real low ride height helps the lift bars out.

i bet you will have no problem breaking the tires loose at many speeds when all said and done. :drool:
My "extensive" lightening of the car has had some adverse effects. I'm hoping that relocating the battery to the back will help traction issues a lot. Replacing the factory hatch and glass with a fiberglass hatch and Lexan and removal of the rear seats, removed a lot of weight off the rearend, so I may end up having to add some weight back there.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #14
Filibuster

Quote:

My "extensive" lightening of the car has had some adverse effects. I'm hoping that relocating the battery to the back will help traction issues a lot. Replacing the factory hatch and glass with a fiberglass hatch and Lexan and removal of the rear seats, removed a lot of weight off the rearend, so I may end up having to add some weight back there.
Ha!...so you know the bad side of lightweight fox's!...absolutely NO traction!.my stang sounds and feels fast,but NOPE!...1st gear is a joke just spinning...and with that said these lightweights are capable of 12sec quarters on motor and suspension alone!..

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

And gears
Old 06-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Ha!...so you know the bad side of lightweight fox's!...absolutely NO traction!.my stang sounds and feels fast,but NOPE!...1st gear is a joke just spinning...and with that said these lightweights are capable of 12sec quarters on motor and suspension alone!..

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

And gears
Yes indeed I do.

Even my daughter's stock 89' Convertible can get pretty squirrely if you are not careful.
I'm hoping and thinking that removing the springs from the lift bars and using coil overs will help a good bit.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hey what timing shoud I use for 93 octane gas?
Haav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haav
Hey what timing shoud I use for 93 octane gas?
If you have stock timing then just run 87.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you have stock timing then just run 87.
Well, I'm sure it's slightly advanced because when I bought it the guy said he slightly advanced it and I've never touched it. I hear detonation at low rpms though.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
Road Trip!

93 should fix it.

I would invest in a timing light.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
93 should fix it.

I would invest in a timing light.
Yeah ima get me a timing light. I been using 93 all month because I used to use 87 octane ( the cheapest) and I heard detonation rattle sounds and that's why I went to 93. So I changed fuels now I gotta mess with the timing I guess.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Check your timing. You may want to just run the 93 if your timing is in the 12-14 range. If it is and you go back to stock you may be disappointed.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Check your timing. You may want to just run the 93 if your timing is in the 12-14 range. If it is and you go back to stock you may be disappointed.
Ok so 12 to 14. I'll keep that in mind. I can't wait to finnally get this car to drive like it used to. It feels like its not using its full power because of detonation. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haav

Ok so 12 to 14. I'll keep that in mind. I can't wait to finnally get this car to drive like it used to. It feels like its not using its full power because of detonation. Thanks.
Stock timing is 10. People usually advance in the 12-14 range, but usually run premium. Every car is different. If you want to run 87 and still try to advance it a bit. You can start at 10. Then bump it up a little at a time. Whenever you hear detonation then back it off 2.

To check for detonation. I usually put it in 4th gear at about 20 mph so it loads the engine.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
I've read that some engines with stock pistons and heads like it as high as 15*-16*. 14* seems to be the standard though.

My first 95 liked 15*, my thought was is was a combo of weather and the diet my car was on. It was a GTS to start with and I striped everything I could out minus seats and carpet lol
Old 06-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #25
Filibuster

I still think mine could go more then 14° but but im stayin there just to be ”safe”..
Old 06-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #26
Road Trip!

My timing is right between 15-16. But I have the advantage of aluminum heads.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #27

Region: Alabama
I read in a thread awhile back that 32 degrees is the way to get maximum throttle response. Idk what mine is set on I've just loosened the bolt and turned the distributor till its at max response.I know stock is 10 and I don't even know of you can even get it to 32. 0.0
Fox 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #28
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox 5.0 View Post
I read in a thread awhile back that 32 degrees is the way to get maximum throttle response. Idk what mine is set on I've just loosened the bolt and turned the distributor till its at max response.I know stock is 10 and I don't even know of you can even get it to 32. 0.0
32° would be the total advance. You do not want to set the base timing that far advanced.
Your engine would detonate and beat itself to death in a very short time firing that far ahead of TDC if it would even start.

Throttle response is going to be different for each engine. It wouldn't matter if you built two engines exactly the same. Minor flaws and discrepancies in the engines would make them different.
If you are past 14° to 16° advance I'd bet your engine is detonating as it is.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #29

Region: Alabama
Quote:

32° would be the total advance. You do not want to set the base timing that far advanced.
Your engine would detonate and beat itself to death in a very short time firing that far ahead of TDC if it would even start.

Throttle response is going to be different for each engine. It wouldn't matter if you built two engines exactly the same. Minor flaws and discrepancies in the engines would make them different.
If you are past 14° to 16° advance I'd bet your engine is detonating as it is.

How do you check your detonation??? I would like to find out because like I said I have no idea the degree its at. I know I could get a timing gun but if there's another way I would like to know??
Fox 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #30
Road Trip!

you need to load the engine, and carefully listen. people like to describe detonation as marbles bouncing around. or a rattling pinging type noise.

what you can do to load the engine is put it in a high gear like 4th. then go really slow, like 20 miles an hour. this should be able to load the engine eough. as you do this listen to the motor.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #31
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
you need to load the engine, and carefully listen. people like to describe detonation as marbles bouncing around. or a rattling pinging type noise.

what you can do to load the engine is put it in a high gear like 4th. then go really slow, like 20 miles an hour. this should be able to load the engine eough. as you do this listen to the motor.
Exactly like he said. ^^^

Choose a gear that is actually to high for the speed you are traveling and push down on the gas pedal lugging the engine down. If you hear a pinging, rattling or knocking sound that is the engine killer, detonation.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My timing is right between 15-16. But I have the advantage of aluminum heads.
I filled the tank with 87, brought back timing and I lost all detonation(awesome!) but it felt like I lost power. So I advanced it a bit and got more power and it detonated only slightly, very hard to notice. Maybe I mess with it some more when I'm off of work again. My damn heater core pipe that floats over the intake manifold under the plenum sprung a leak. So I gotta fix that next. I'm thinking of reinforcing my engine you know? Like make it tougher for future mods. Where should I start with that?
Old 06-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #33
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haav View Post
I filled the tank with 87, brought back timing and I lost all detonation(awesome!) but it felt like I lost power. So I advanced it a bit and got more power and it detonated only slightly, very hard to notice. Maybe I mess with it some more when I'm off of work again. My damn heater core pipe that floats over the intake manifold under the plenum sprung a leak. So I gotta fix that next. I'm thinking of reinforcing my engine you know? Like make it tougher for future mods. Where should I start with that?
DO NOT let it detonate very long or you will be taking the chance of serious engine damage.
You will lose some power as you decrease the timing, but that is necessary to keep it from detonating.

Look in the Superchargers and Turbos sticky thread for engine building tips.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT