steering - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
steering

I was wondering if there is anyway to tighten up my steering wheel?
dray492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray492 View Post
With a wrench.

Seriously, without knowing exactly where it is loose or what symptoms you have, how would we know?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

In general, I don't know how to explain it. There is nothing wrong with it. Its too easy to turn the wheel. I drove a Corvette yesterday and it was exactly how I want. Idk if any of you have driven one but yeah. I want it to be harder to turn but I want to keep PS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray492
Is it a rack and pinion steering setup?
Struego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know how can I check? It's a 93 lx
Old 06-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray492 View Post
In general, I don't know how to explain it. There is nothing wrong with it. Its too easy to turn the wheel. I drove a Corvette yesterday and it was exactly how I want. Idk if any of you have driven one but yeah. I want it to be harder to turn but I want to keep PS.
Sports cars like the Corvette are engineered from the factory to have more "feel" to the steering.
Getting your Mustang to have that feel would probably require some significant expense and time in a suspension shop.
Manual steering is the only "less expensive" way I can think of to get what you seek, but I sure wouldn't want it on my daily driver or street car for sure.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struego View Post
Is it a rack and pinion steering setup?
Yes, it is a rack and pinion, probably quite similar to what you have in your newer Mustang.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Sports cars like the Corvette are engineered from the factory to have more "feel" to the steering.
Getting your Mustang to have that feel would probably require some significant expense and time in a suspension shop.
Manual steering is the only "less expensive" way I can think of to get what you seek, but I sure wouldn't want it on my daily driver or street car for sure.
Ah okay, well I will continue to look around for a solution. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I don't understand the exact feel you are looking for. But they make high performance racks. They have better/quicker turning. I would look into flaming river.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
I don't understand the exact feel you are looking for. But they make high performance racks. They have better/quicker turning. I would look into flaming river.
I want it to be harder to turn the wheel. Can I weaken the PS?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:

I want it to be harder to turn the wheel. Can I weaken the PS?
no offense, but thats kind of opposite of what people do. lol

but the only thing. can think of is to overdrive the ps pump. to do that just get a larger pulley and a new belt that fits. and i cant guranntee it will work.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

no offense, but thats kind of opposite of what people do. lol

but the only thing. can think of is to overdrive the ps pump. to do that just get a larger pulley and a new belt that fits. and i cant guranntee it will work.
It's cool, I just don't like the feel of it. Maybe its because I have had pos cars before this and I'm just not to having "good" steering. I had a crx with no ps which was nice and easy because the car is so light, then I had a ranger, it was too "loose", then a eclipse that was absolutely perfect, it took a little tiny bit force to move the steering wheel but once it moved easily once it started turning. It's too hard to explain though typing I guess I will have to find someone in person who I can explain this to.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:

It's cool, I just don't like the feel of it. Maybe its because I have had pos cars before this and I'm just not to having "good" steering. I had a crx with no ps which was nice and easy because the car is so light, then I had a ranger, it was too "loose", then a eclipse that was absolutely perfect, it took a little tiny bit force to move the steering wheel but once it moved easily once it started turning. It's too hard to explain though typing I guess I will have to find someone in person who I can explain this to.
its cool man. try underdriving it. it will make the pump pump slower. and maybe someone else will have some ideas. thats just all i can think of.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

its cool man. try underdriving it. it will make the pump pump slower. and maybe someone else will have some ideas. thats just all i can think of.
Thanks a lot for the advice.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
Road Trip!

no problem. the only thing that made me unsure, is that since its a pump it may require spinning a certain speed. like i said i think it work but when you do it, make sure the pump isnt whining. if its not it should be ok. but if it does do that then it may ruin the pump faster.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
no problem. the only thing that made me unsure, is that since its a pump it may require spinning a certain speed. like i said i think it work but when you do it, make sure the pump isnt whining. if its not it should be ok. but if it does do that then it may ruin the pump faster.
Yeah its whining now, I plan on replacing it when I can.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Power Steering Pump pulleys are different than other accessory pulleys. I really doubt you will find a smaller pulley, but even if you do I would not change it. The pumps are a vane style pump and they depend on turning a certain speed to force the vanes out against the pump cavity walls to move the fluid. If you reduce the speed they turn, then at idle or low engine speeds it is quite likely it will quit pumping and your steering will get really hard, harder even than a manual rack because of the fluid in the rack that has to be moved when you turn.

If you insist on this, a manual rack or a specialized system is the only safe way to go.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Power Steering Pump pulleys are different than other accessory pulleys. I really doubt you will find a smaller pulley, but even if you do I would not change it. The pumps are a vane style pump and they depend on turning a certain speed to force the vanes out against the pump cavity walls to move the fluid. If you reduce the speed they turn, then at idle or low engine speeds it is quite likely it will quit pumping and your steering will get really hard, harder even than a manual rack because of the fluid in the rack that has to be moved when you turn.

If you insist on this, a manual rack or a specialized system is the only safe way to go.
I thought they made power steering underdrive pulley?

Yeah, I didn't know if it would work or not. But what you said does make sense.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
I thought they made power steering underdrive pulley?

Yeah, I didn't know if it would work or not. But what you said does make sense.
They might make one, but I don't think they do. I've been wrong before though, so it's possible.
I did some checking and I couldn't find an exploded view for our Mustang pumps, but some of the older style Ford pumps (the fat bulky ones) did have a spring assisted vane so one of those might work at slower speeds if it could be fitted on there.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:

They might make one, but I don't think they do. I've been wrong before though, so it's possible.
I did some checking and I couldn't find an exploded view for our Mustang pumps, but some of the older style Ford pumps (the fat bulky ones) did have a spring assisted vane so one of those might work at slower speeds if it could be fitted on there.
We are all wrong from time to time. But my memory is crap sometimes. I would go with you, Mr mustang encyclopedia. .

It was just a guess that it would even work. I did some quick looking also and couldn't really find anything.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
We are all wrong from time to time. But my memory is crap sometimes. I would go with you, Mr mustang encyclopedia. .

It was just a guess that it would even work. I did some quick looking also and couldn't really find anything.
I have a lot of info from a lot of years stored away, but I do make mistakes and sometimes forget. I appreciate any and all of you guys keeping a look out and correcting me when it is needed.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:

I have a lot of info from a lot of years stored away, but I do make mistakes and sometimes forget. I appreciate any and all of you guys keeping a look out and correcting me when it is needed.
I think you do a great job of making sure your information is accurate. That's why your our "go to guy".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT