Car sat for 8 months. Needs washed. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
Registered Member
Region: North Carolina
Car sat for 8 months. Needs washed.

Usually I just browse the forums. Posting my first one as I have a pretty big concern. Just returned from deployment, so my 89 GT sat for the last 8 months uncovered. Put it in a storage unit, didn't trust it in the garage at home with the wife and my son playing around in the garage. Anyways, it's a 34k original mile car with flawless original factory paint. My concern is it got a pretty thick coat of dust/debris while sitting, and I'm scared to death to wash it right off the bat with all the **** on it. The paint is flawless, no swirls, scratches etc... What steps would anyone here recommend as far as washing/cleaning the car. I usually hate using water but I'm kind of forced to with the amount of dust on it. Any tips and products for a complete outside detail would be awesome.

rwsmith3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Region: Nebraska
You may be able to blow it off with some air of not I would just say you have to use water

Need more Horsepower? Add a sticker. Contact me for vinyl stickers pre-made and custom!
Stick on Horsepower <- Click Here and like my Page!
2001 GT - True Blue
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Road Trip!
Region: Indiana
Take it about 80 down the highway to start. Then compressed air may work. I like the California car duster. It works great. But not recommended if its super thick dust.

When you wash it. Just try to spray and rinse as much as possible before you start scrubbing. Even a pressure washer may help. But not an industrial one. And don't get to close.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: California
I know there is touchless car wash products. You spray it on and will suds up and break down dirt without having to touch it. Then you can wash it all off and possibly repeat and you should have almost all the debris off safely. I think you will eventually have to break down and touch it with water. If you really wanna avoid water on it a air pressure "wash" may work; I'm afraid on those that the dust will grind in the paint, but I'm probably just ridiculous.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Car sat for 8 months. Needs washed.

DWG International™ - Manufacturer of Dri Wash 'n Guard® makes waterless products, but I personally would wet it down/spray it off very good. Then use some VERY good soap and distilled water in a bucket. Wash it slow and easy using a terry style wash mitt or something similar. Do not use a sponge....

Use something that the dirt can get trapped in the fibers and keep it away from the paint. Keep the mitt washed out regularly and when putting it in the bucket dont splash it around, dont put it on the bottom where all the debris settles. Wash it gently and you should be good.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Region: Missouri
Re: Car sat for 8 months. Needs washed.

Use warm/hot, soapy water to lift the dirt and one of those really soft, long bristled car washing brushes to gently scrub the surface.
The warm/hot, soapy water will work best from a garden hose if you have someplace to get it from. The flowing water and soap mixture helps lift and carry off the dirt.
A warm/hot water connection and garden hose with a mixing sprayer attached is what I use.
Put your car washing concentrated soap into the mixing sprayer, dial it to the mix you want and go to work.

Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT