Starting issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Starting issues

Ok so here's the back story, I had a rolling body that I put an engine in. Got everything all hooked up and trying to start it. It takes a couple tries to get it to start running. Then it runs real high rpms then just dies out again. There is also a noticeable scent of gas from the exhaust. Is it possible that there is not enough air getting in the engine from the throttle body? Also I know this engine was working fine before I put it in because the car it came from was totaled and I had heard it running before getting it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot
Ok so here's the back story, I had a rolling body that I put an engine in. Got everything all hooked up and trying to start it. It takes a couple tries to get it to start running. Then it runs real high rpms then just dies out again. There is also a noticeable scent of gas from the exhaust. Is it possible that there is not enough air getting in the engine from the throttle body? Also I know this engine was working fine before I put it in because the car it came from was totaled and I had heard it running before getting it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Make sure you check all your sensors.. Ats-maf-o2-aic-ect.
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok will recheck but put in new o2 sensors and the rest should be good already checked them. Will go through 1 more time to play it safe.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Check your timing. And also maybe let the ecu relearn its parameters. You can disconnect the battery and leave the head light switch on for about 15 minutes. Then plug the battery back in. Once you start it give it some time to adjust.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Check your timing. And also maybe let the ecu relearn its parameters. You can disconnect the battery and leave the head light switch on for about 15 minutes. Then plug the battery back in. Once you start it give it some time to adjust.
+1 had that problem with my 2001 and unplugged the battery overnight and ran just fine in the morning..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Alright will try that later tonight thanks for the info
Old 06-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok tried the light switches and still having trouble but I think it's a timing issue so I'll have to get on that. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot
Ok tried the light switches and still having trouble but I think it's a timing issue so I'll have to get on that. I'll keep you posted.
the light switch is just to drain any left over voltage in the battery. this should reset the memory.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Haven't redone the timing yet, just no time (no pun intended). Curios though, on my vaccum tree I only hooked up my intake and master brake cylinder to it. I have no vaccum canister hooked up to it. Would this cause any problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT