Ruff starts? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Ruff starts?

Just recent this starting happening, when ever I start my car from a over night cold start the car is real ruff with the start, it will bounce at 1k rpm with a back fire then reff up like normal..but its everytime..idk if I explained it good but its not normal at all it jist started doin it..car has brandnew battery, alt is 100% and starter is brand new..tune up was done 3 months ago with good plugs, ford racing wires,cap rotor etc..oil is only 1k in..wtf!!!..everything is up to date..some one said its my engine but itz not bc once running car is 100% fine
fast 94 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Ruff starts?

Check or replace your temperature sensors, the ECT and IAT.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Road Trip!

What would thoes do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
They are sensors for incoming air and air temperature, etc etc. They tell the ecu about the air so it can maintain a/f mixture.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

Also if you plan on getting that turbo. I would make sure your car is 100% before installation. Otherwise any install trouble shooting will be a nightmare.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
They are sensors for incoming air and air temperature, etc etc. They tell the ecu about the air so it can maintain a/f mixture.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

Also if you plan on getting that turbo. I would make sure your car is 100% before installation. Otherwise any install trouble shooting will be a nightmare.
And one of thoes things will cause my problem only on a cold start?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

IAT = Intake Air Temp

ECT = Engine Coolant Temp
Old 06-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
IAT = Intake Air Temp

ECT = Engine Coolant Temp
My mechanic said thats not what would cause it..he said bc 1) I have a "modded" motor towards the heavy side so the first start up from a over night will be a lil ruff n 2) I just upgraded my radiator with a.performance one with water wetter mix bc its summer time n I want it to run on the cool side so he.said between thoes n when nite time came n air temp dropped the car was real cold so first start was like a winter start..so he says(he knows hes cars) he builds monster stangs
Old 06-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Road Trip!

imo that doesnt make much sense. just because you have a modded motor should have nothing to with how your modded starts. unless its really high compression. and even that would just make it hard to crank.
and what temp are you running at? you need to be running at the factory 195ish. you dont want to run cold! otherwise your oil will not properly flow and lubricate as it sould.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

oh yeah. and those parts can still probably cause that.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
Road Trip!

I didnt mean running cold at.low temp just when its 90° out and im getting on it my car temp wont move..before I would run car and after a while of driving "hard/aggressive" my temp would go up..now it dont move stays right were it should..and not to sound like a dick but he said, no thoes parts dont effect cold starts..he knows what hes doing..he used to be a tuner for steeda! Then opened his own shop
Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
Road Trip!

well hopefully your mechanic know wht he is doing. he should with the experience you say he has. but i disagree.

the iat can cause cause hard starts.This sensor tells the computer the temperature of the air entering the engine. If this sensor is faulty the computer may think that the air is either excessively warm or excessively cold when you start the engine. Or it could be in a fail-safe mode where the computer is using a static preset value. Either way this can cause hard starting. If this sensor is only giving inaccurate data that is not out of range it will not throw a trouble code or check engine light making it more difficult to diagnose.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

If he "knows what he's doing" he wouldn't be making statements like that.

My engine is very heavily modded, BUT it starts and runs just like a factory engine when you first start it, the only thing different is the rumpity, rump of the X cam.

You go ahead and listen to whoever you want, as it is your car and your choice, but I still say it is over fueling or it has some small ignition issue.

P.S. You should never "get on it" until the engine water and oil temps have reached their operating temperatures. Oil needs to be a minimum of 180° to properly lubricate your engine. If it is not then you cause engine damage every time you open up the throttle.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
Road Trip!

What do u think I do start my car n just put it in gear n drive away??? My car idles for 8_10mins before I drive n then after that for the first.5 or so mins im just cruiseing thats first, n I do trust this guy, he builds insane mustangs n my car has the least hp out of any car that goes there by alot..so if ppl trust him n let him build there 800+ hp stangs I can trust him with my 305hp stang..n hes looking at it this week n keeping it a over night to give me a defenit answer
Old 06-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast 94 5.0 View Post
What do u think I do start my car n just put it in gear n drive away??? My car idles for 8_10mins before I drive n then after that for the first.5 or so mins im just cruiseing thats first, n I do trust this guy, he builds insane mustangs n my car has the least hp out of any car that goes there by alot..so if ppl trust him n let him build there 800+ hp stangs I can trust him with my 305hp stang..n hes looking at it this week n keeping it a over night to give me a defenit answer
Don't get an attitude.
We are just trying to help you.
If you don't want to listen to us or want to argue with us about it, then just let your mechanic take care of your issues and we'll quit trying to help you.

P.S. I help my cousin with his cars and they make 1250 off the bottle and close to 2000 on the bottle, so tuning and building high horsepower engines is not a foreign concept to me either.
My car puts out a good 100 HP more than yours and it is tuned properly and does not act up like yours, so I know a bit about that too.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
Road Trip!

No attitude here at all..you guys been very helpfull with other questions iv had..its just I know on forums alot of ppl on it are DIY mechanics but can be very help at times for lil questions I might have n on this question I had my mechanic said diff then what I was told on here so thats all I was saying
Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
Road Trip!

we (over the internet via keystroke) dont have the full advantage of talking to you, looking at the car etc. the first thing we have to do is interpret what your saying through keystroke. its not always easy. your mechanic may know what hes doing. im not saying he doesnt. mayne he know something we dont, and thats fine. but if he thinks an iat cant cause a "ruff start" then hes mistaken. maybe he knows its not the problem? but it can definitly be a cause, even if its not yours.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
No attitude here at all..you guys been very helpfull with other questions iv had..its just I know on forums alot of ppl on it are DIY mechanics but can be very help at times for lil questions I might have n on this question I had my mechanic said diff then what I was told on here so thats all I was saying
That's cool. It's hard to interpret what someone really means through text on a PC screen though and sometimes it comes out totally wrong.

Te set your mind at ease I am not only a DIY, but I have over 30 years of professional mechanical experience working with all types of engines/cars and with Mustangs in particular.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Yea I guess when im typeing my question/response it dont come out like I was really trying to say it..he never said that that part wont cause that, just for my car that would not be the prob at this time..i just type fast on my phone while im doin stuff around the house so thats y sometimes my question/response may be a lil mis understanding(use phone app)
Old 06-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
Road Trip!

i am just a diy'er trying to help. but i tend to think i know a little. but im no 30 year mechanic!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yea I guess when im typeing my question/response it dont come out like I was really trying to say it..he never said that that part wont cause that, just for my car that would not be the prob at this time..i just type fast on my phone while im doin stuff around the house so thats y sometimes my question/response may be a lil mis understanding(use phone app)
That's understandable, and I hate those phone apps with a passion. Sometimes the gibberish that comes out of them is all but impossible to decipher.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
i am just a diy'er trying to help. but i tend to think i know a little. but im no 30 year mechanic!
You know and have learned a lot working on your car.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #21
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast 94 5.0
+1 I'm like that too, or it's late and I'm trying to remember everything I wanted to ask or say..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Just wanted to say my car has started fine 100% for the last 2 weeks..i guess it was a fluke of ruff starts
Old 07-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #23
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Just wanted to say my car has started fine 100% for the last 2 weeks..i guess it was a fluke of ruff starts
Glad it "self healed" for you.

May have had a bit of dust/debris get on the IAT sensor of MAF sensor.
Just check and clean them next time you service the filter or if it acts up again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT