What do you think about this setup? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #1

Region: Florida
Whats up everyone. I recently joined and was looking for some feedback on my setup. If you can give some advice or opinion, it's all appreciated. Well here it is:

Stock block and bottom
- Lunati voodoo 61002 w/ matching valve springs.
- 1.7rr
- Edelbrock performer 289
- ported stock heads w/ 5 angle valve job.
- Holley 670 street avenger. (50cc accelerator pump, will jet accordingly)
- Long tube BBK headers to an H pipe and flowmasters.
- Smog and a/c deleted.

Oh and should I get under drive pulleys?
Mikerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
Lol.. Gotta love the under drive pulley questions... Yes they wouldn't hurt but the $$$ could be better spent on some edelbrock or trick flow heads which would add more power out of the box than the entire setup you listed even if you leave in the stock cam... If its possible take a look at that route you will get much more power than those e7 heads
Old 07-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: What do you think about this setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerod View Post
Whats up everyone. I recently joined and was looking for some feedback on my setup. If you can give some advice or opinion, it's all appreciated. Well here it is:

Stock block and bottom
- Lunati voodoo 61002 w/ matching valve springs.
- 1.7rr
- Edelbrock performer 289
- ported stock heads w/ 5 angle valve job.
- Holley 670 street avenger. (50cc accelerator pump, will jet accordingly)
- Long tube BBK headers to an H pipe and flowmasters.
- Smog and a/c deleted.

Oh and should I get under drive pulleys?
If those heads are the ones that came on your car, a set of E7s would actually be better than what you have, but you would be even better off to save your money and get a set of aluminum heads. With the right combo you can pick up 60-100 HP with the aluminum heads.

IMO, don't waste your time or money on UD pulleys.
They usually end up causing more issues than they do good.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #4

Aluminum heads are out of the question. I want iron heads. They're stronger, more durable, cheaper, and I've seen some damn good numbers from ported irons.

And you're right, I dont have E7's, but a good port and polish on some gt40 or e7's should them up quite a bit. Enough for my setup at least.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerod View Post
Aluminum heads are out of the question. I want iron heads. They're stronger, more durable, cheaper, and I've seen some damn good numbers from ported irons.

And you're right, I dont have E7's, but a good port and polish on some gt40 or e7's should them up quite a bit. Enough for my setup at least.
Iron heads are not necessarily stronger or more durable and if you want to see some numbers, just take a look at some ported aluminum head flow rates sometime.
They are heavier, crack rather easily and are difficult or impossible to repair when they do.
And when or if they can be repaired, they are always much weaker afterwards.

Aluminum heads on the other hand are much lighter and easily repaired by welding and machining if required. Aluminum heads can also be ported much easier, faster and cheaper than iron heads and they almost always will out flow iron heads right out of the box.

Installing them on your car provides twice the benefits of iron heads.
1. You get a better flowing/performing head right out of the box.
2. They are lighter, removing weight off the front of the car.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Iron heads are not necessarily stronger or more durable and if you want to see some numbers, just take a look at some ported aluminum head flow rates sometime.
They are heavier, crack rather easily and are difficult or impossible to repair when they do.
And when or if they can be repaired, they are always much weaker afterwards.

Aluminum heads on the other hand are much lighter and easily repaired by welding and machining if required. Aluminum heads can also be ported much easier, faster and cheaper than iron heads and they almost always will out flow iron heads right out of the box.

Installing them on your car provides twice the benefits of iron heads.
1. You get a better flowing/performing head right out of the box.
2. They are lighter, removing weight off the front of the car.
+ 1000
And they cool quicker which equals cooler air charge.

It's possible to get good numbers out of cast iron heads, but no where near as easy.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #7

Well, yeah I know that, but typically, irons are stronger. But aside that, its easier to find some E7's and port them out and much more cost efficient. If some aluminum heads crack or something, it'll be $$$$ to repair around here (Aluminum welding is so expensive here in miami).

I wont be using the aluminum heads to their full potential, so I think the cost is too much for what I'll be using.

Irons off the junkyard $80-100 depending on what junkyard I go to. To clean them, with 5 angle valve job, and port & polish is $450. That's $550 for a set of ported gt40's or e7's.

The difference between that and a set of $1200 aluminum heads are more than double. So I could have 2 sets of heads for the price of one (granted the aluminum are better). But for my setup, I honestly don't see me spending that sort of money. I could even get some E7 powerheads for $850. But again, I think Im good with some ported GT40's.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

I understand. We're just trying to help you get the most out of your engine, as that is usually what Mustang owners want to do.Keep your eye open for a used set and you might get lucky sometime.
Wish you the best of luck with your project.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #9

Thanks, and all advice greatly appreciated!

If I happen to find some aluminums for cheap, then yes, I'll invest the money lol, but i wont be buying a set out of the box.

Any other suggestions I might've missed? I know these motors like the back of my hand, but you never know, I might forget something along the way lol.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
Road Trip!

If your doing full rebuild check out the sticky section. There is a great article in the useful mustang info on does and donts. It will work for a great checklist, even for an experienced builder.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

I have the same carb also. I like it a lot. Don't forget you'll need a duel feed setup. And you probably want to run a adjustable fuel regulator if you don't already.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #11

hmm, gotta check that out. This is my first time here (stangnet is dying down )

But on the bright side....I just scored some aluminum heads on craigslist. SVO (Gt40X) heads. $600 with 1.6 roller rockers (which ill be trading my brother for his 1.7's he wont be using because he needs 1.6's)
Old 07-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerod
hmm, gotta check that out. This is my first time here (stangnet is dying down )

But on the bright side....I just scored some aluminum heads on craigslist. SVO (Gt40X) heads. $600 with 1.6 roller rockers (which ill be trading my brother for his 1.7's he wont be using because he needs 1.6's)
Good deal man. Nice
Old 07-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #13

And yeah, it has a dual feed setup but no regulator. I'm picking up a holley regulator soon. Gave mine to my brother because he needed it on his 71. I was going to use it on a rotary conversion for my VW bug, but that went south and had to sell it midway through the project.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Good deal man. Nice
Thanks. gotta give the guy a couple of weeks to come back into town and pull the heads from his car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT