Timing and SCT4 Bank - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Timing and SCT4 Bank

Ok, I read something saying it was ok to adjust the timing separately from my tunes. No matter where(including base) I set it I got detonation. I have it just a bit over base now with the spout connector out and it runs better than it has since I've owned it. MPG is up noticeably and the temp actually gets out of the cold loop now(just barely).

My question is, is there any negative to running with the spout out?
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
im not sure how it will work with your sct. but without the spout you probably will be unning a fixxed timing. usually your eec will advance the timing automaticly through the rpm range. without the spout hooked up you will be running base timing through the rpm range.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
im not sure how it will work with your sct. but without the spout you probably will be unning a fixxed timing. usually your eec will advance the timing automaticly through the rpm range. without the spout hooked up you will be running base timing through the rpm range.
Hmmm.. Interesting as it seems to run better throughout the band.. I'll have a timing light soon and be able to see if in fact it's staying put or advancing.. Had not even considered this!!!
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Road Trip!

im not exactly sure on the how the spout does it. but i would guess any timing changes that the chip does is strictly through the eec and the spout would still serve its normal purpose.

maybe the tune on the chip had to aggressive of timing curve and you flattened it out?

i drove my car for a while without it advancing be cause with my carb conversion i still had a factory dizzy. and it seemed like it ran fine to me. but im sure there was power left on the table.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Ive been getting AC off mpg w/ the AC on! The power feel comparable but the drivability seems far better!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Road Trip!

interesting... ive heard people actually increasing mpgs with tune.

have you tried no tune?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
interesting... ive heard people actually increasing mpgs with tune.

have you tried no tune?
Yup.. When I bought the car it didn't run quite right on any of the tunes, I took the chip out for about a month then re-installed it.. Ran right with the chip out mpg wasn't great, mpg got better when I reinstalled it, and now it's better with the spout out.. Wondering if the previous owner bought the chip 2nd hand from a car with similar mods making it not quite right.. Hmmm
Old 07-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Yup.. When I bought the car it didn't run quite right on any of the tunes, I took the chip out for about a month then re-installed it.. Ran right with the chip out mpg wasn't great, mpg got better when I reinstalled it, and now it's better with the spout out.. Wondering if the previous owner bought the chip 2nd hand from a car with similar mods making it not quite right.. Hmmm
maybe. but even if the chip/tune was setup for your mods, every car is so different. some people get bad tunes from reputable tuners. it just happens. im sure you could probably get it retuned, if you wanted.

i am suprised that it does better than no tune though with no spout connector.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

I've talked to AM/Bama about a tune(s), it'd cost more but am considering letting FastLane dyno tune it as I don't plan on any performance mods until I put my engine together.. Sold a 302 I had and now looking for a 351w.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
I've talked to AM/Bama about a tune(s), it'd cost more but am considering letting FastLane dyno tune it as I don't plan on any performance mods until I put my engine together.. Sold a 302 I had and now looking for a 351w.
maybe they could also do a mpg tune for ya. this chevy something rentL i had recently had an eco button next to the shifter. i read the manual and it said: changes shift points, makes the accelerator less aggressive etc. i thought it was pretty cool. im just not sure if the price of the dyno tune would be efficient for ya.

my buddy has a 94 351w bronco for sell. its been rotting away the last 5 years. he is in need of some fast cash right now. its fully/mildly built. but needs head gasket. anyways he is letting the whole truck go for 1400$. and would even go cheaper. the only down fall is alot of the truck stuff (intake, throttle body etc) may not work in a stang. but i dont know where you live but its a great deal. the truck could be parted out to make fully money back. 9" rear, lifted etc etc.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Is the spout connector there just for troubleshooting purposes?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
Road Trip!

i BELiEVE its what allows the eec to change timing. you have to unplug it while setting timing, other wise the eec will correct whatever you changed. but then youmplug it back in when your done.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
i BELiEVE its what allows the eec to change timing. you have to unplug it while setting timing, other wise the eec will correct whatever you changed. but then youmplug it back in when your done.
Is see, that makes sense now.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Timing and SCT4 Bank

Sounds like the chip you have may not be tuned for your car/mods. I doubt the chip is able to take over the timing functions with the spout connector out as it has to complete a circuit for the ECU to do so and I bet it works the same for any timing changes made by the chip. So if it runs better with the spout out, then likely the tune in the chip is wrong for your car. Most chips require that the timing be set to factory specs and they change it according to the chip program.

I had a similar issue with the 95 Mustang I had. It had a Level 10 chip that changed timing and shift points, but the car just never ran right with the chip in it. I ended up tossing the chip into the glove box and resetting the timing. Car still ran like crap. I ended up having to replace the ECU before it straightened out, so I assumed that the chip must have damaged the ECU somehow, but who knows for sure as I do not know what all the previous owner did to it.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Will my timing advance with the spout out?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Will my timing advance with the spout out?
Not at all.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT