Tps ????? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Tps ?????

K I went and put my car on computer at oriellys came out saying tps is out of range went home set the tps to .98 volts and reset computer and still doin same thing. Does that mean I have a bad tps. 1990 GT afr heads 75mm TB BBK cai 75mm maf trick flow upper and lower with heat spacer long tubes custom cam 24lb injectors its surging about 1000 rpms between 800-2000 but only surging at idle. What's up wit dat. Runs smooth as can be goin down the road.
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Tps ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78 View Post
K I went and put my car on computer at oriellys came out saying tps is out of range went home set the tps to .98 volts and reset computer and still doin same thing. Does that mean I have a bad tps. 1990 GT afr heads 75mm TB BBK cai 75mm maf trick flow upper and lower with heat spacer long tubes custom cam 24lb injectors its surging about 1000 rpms between 800-2000 but only surging at idle. What's up wit dat. Runs smooth as can be goin down the road.
Possibly, did it test out of range when you got it home or is it testing out of range now?
Should be some surging idle tips in the Useful Info thread.
Is the IAC (Idle Air Control) working ok?

On some highly modified engines I have heard of them drilling a .090" air bleed hole in the bottom of the TB plate to cure a idle surge, but I'm not sure you need to go to that extreme just yet. On others I have read of them using an externally adjustable air bleed plate on the IAC to accomplish the same thing.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It tested out of range then went home and put my meter on it and adjusted it to proper position I they closed before I got to go back and both the aic and tps has some sort of plate or spacer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
It tested out of range then went home and put my meter on it and adjusted it to proper position I they closed before I got to go back and both the aic and tps has some sort of plate or spacer
You can test the range with your meter. It should be in the 0-5 volt range from closed throttle to WOT. There is a TPS testing link in the Useful Info thread.

Pics of the spacers/plates?
The adjustable IAC plate should have 2 adjustment screws in it if I remember correctly.
Never heard of a plate/spacer for the TPS though?

IAC Plate
Old 07-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you look close there's something like a 1/4in spacer between both. The pic you posted will help I didn't know you could adjust the iac on that plate like that. And I made a few calls to some dyno tune shops. And they (3) all said same thing. Except one. All said tps is bad. But one also said because the problem existed before mods it has got to do with something I didn't change. I told him only thing that I didn't change yet is the fuel pump. And he stopped me in mid sentence and said bingo that's your problem change it and the filter. Then told me that the O2 sensors and fuel pump is controlled by the computer the o2 sensors monitor air fuel and if computer is reading that car needs more gas then it tells pump to pump more but if pump is maxed it tried to adjust tps but tps cannot adjust that much so it throughs out the tps is out of range code.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4070335229.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	57779  
Old 07-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

He said change pump and then if still acting up change tps.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So I'm prolly just gonna change my whole tank
Old 07-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
If you look close there's something like a 1/4in spacer between both. The pic you posted will help I didn't know you could adjust the iac on that plate like that. And I made a few calls to some dyno tune shops. And they (3) all said same thing. Except one. All said tps is bad. But one also said because the problem existed before mods it has got to do with something I didn't change. I told him only thing that I didn't change yet is the fuel pump. And he stopped me in mid sentence and said bingo that's your problem change it and the filter. Then told me that the O2 sensors and fuel pump is controlled by the computer the o2 sensors monitor air fuel and if computer is reading that car needs more gas then it tells pump to pump more but if pump is maxed it tried to adjust tps but tps cannot adjust that much so it throughs out the tps is out of range code.
Don't you have a 190 lph or bigger pump on there already?

Before I changed the pump I'd see what my fuel pressure was doing.
If it is keeping good pressure at idle and WOT, then your problem is elsewhere.

I can't argue or disagree with what he said about the fuel pump for 100% sure, but I don't think it is controlled by the computer like that. The computer controls the pulse width of the injectors and that is how it adds more fuel if it is needed.
It's up to the pump to supply adequate fuel pressure and the computer cannot adjust it up or down in pressure or flow other than through the pulse width of the injectors, so that's why I think you should just ensure the pump is providing enough pressure at idle and WOT before you change it out.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Don't you have a 190 lph or bigger pump on there already?

Before I changed the pump I'd see what my fuel pressure was doing.
If it is keeping good pressure at idle and WOT, then your problem is elsewhere.

I can't argue or disagree with what he said about the fuel pump for 100% sure, but I don't think it is controlled by the computer like that. The computer controls the pulse width of the injectors and that is how it adds more fuel if it is needed.
It's up to the pump to supply adequate fuel pressure and the computer cannot adjust it up or down in pressure or flow other than through the pulse width of the injectors, so that's why I think you should just ensure the pump is providing enough pressure at idle and WOT before you change it out.
I was thinking the same thing about the pump. It gets a constant 12 volts and that's it. The voltage will never vary. The ecu just tells the relay when to turn on or off.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have the 255 I got from you but I have not installed it yet the pump and filter has been in the car for over 5 years and being I can get a tank for $75 I figured I would just change the whole thing since it was down anyway.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

I'm getting just under 40lbs at idle I know it drops to 30 at around 3000 but don't know about WOT
Old 07-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
i guess if you got it, flaunt it!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I have the 255 I got from you but I have not installed it yet the pump and filter has been in the car for over 5 years and being I can get a tank for $75 I figured I would just change the whole thing since it was down anyway.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

I'm getting just under 40lbs at idle I know it drops to 30 at around 3000 but don't know about WOT
I completely forgot about that.
Yeah, I would go ahead and change it out just to be sure in that case.

It should be around 38-40 at idle with the regulator vacuum hose removed and plugged.
It will drop off some with the vacuum hose connected and possibly a bit more at WOT, but I would think that it should maintain 25-35 or more at all times. I have never seen any real info on the drop, so I'm not 100% sure what you should or will see.
That's one of the things I intend to log once my car is back up and running again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT