Quad Shock Confusion - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quad Shock Confusion

So, I finally decided to look into figuring out why my rear suspension is so stiff. It didn't take long for me to figure out that I have no quad shocks!

After searching the market for a set, I found a little inconsistency in years they fit; though all fit my year(s).

For the KYB Gas-a-just Quad Shock :

CJ Pony Parts lists them as fitting '79-'04 8.8"
http://www.cjponyparts.com/kyb-quad-...-2004/p/KYB20/

Late Model Restoration lists them as ALL '84-'04, except '99-'04 Cobra.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ear-Quad-Shock

and American Muscle has them listed for '94-'04 GT, V6, Mach1, '94-'98 Cobra.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/kyb-ga...hock-9404.html

They are all part #KG4521. Strange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Quad Shock Confusion

Use some good aftermarket lower control arms like the UMI Lift Bars and DO NOT reinstall the quad shocks.

Quad shocks will not make your suspension soft or stiff.
They are just to prevent wheel hop which the aftermarket control arms handle very well.
They will also interfere with mounting wide rear tires, so most owners end up removing them and going with the aftermarket lower control arms anyways.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

They say the lift bars are recommended for drag and race applications, which I don't really do.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Also, they have a different set for '99-'04.. My rear is from '01 GT, so not sure which I would get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods View Post
They say the lift bars are recommended for drag and race applications, which I don't really do.
Who is "they"?

The way they are made they also work very well for road and track use I think.
I have had mine for over 10 years and I have been extremely pleased with them.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods
Thats what I run and it is way better than stock. It hooks a lot better. Some people say they hurt cornering(which I'm not into). But I think they help.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

UMI says that in the description of the lift bars, in the link you posted.

Note: Expect increased road noise, recommended for drag and race applications only.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Road Trip!

The increased road noise is do to the solid steel bushing inserts. They make noise when turning. But I can't hear it over my 10 series.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Even if you don't want the umi, with other good lcas you can still remove the quad shock.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods View Post
UMI says that in the description of the lift bars, in the link you posted.

Note: Expect increased road noise, recommended for drag and race applications only.
They have to put that there to dissuade the whiners and complainers.
I have driven my car on almost every conceivable type of surface and I can't hear any noise over the exhaust.
The steel bushings help to keep the rear end centered better so it does not track to the side as bad in corners I think. Before I had them, I had issues with the rear tires rubbing during hard cornering. That issue went away after installing them, because they keep the rear end centered under the car better.

It's your car do whatever you wish.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I really appreciate the info, guys. I didn't even know lower control arms/lift bars go where the quad shocks are (supposed to). I'm going to stick with the quad shocks for now.

Any idea why different distributors would sell the same quad shock and mark them for different years? and American Muscle says they fit V6... I thought the 7.5" had no quads.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods
I really appreciate the info, guys. I didn't even know lower control arms/lift bars go where the quad shocks are (supposed to). I'm going to stick with the quad shocks for now.

Any idea why different distributors would sell the same quad shock and mark them for different years? and American Muscle says they fit V6... I thought the 7.5" had no quads.
The lower control arms don't go where the quad shock is. They reduce wheel hop enough that the quad shock isn't needed.

The umi's actually have relocation brackets. Because it changes the geometry it would probably bind with the quad shock still on.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

dont go lift bars, I wouldnt recommend poly bushings as they squeek. Look into some maximum motorsport lower control arms with the spherical bushing to prevent bind. Leave the uppers are they are. You dont need quad shocks, get stiffer springs and you should be fine.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
dont go lift bars, I wouldnt recommend poly bushings as they squeek. Look into some maximum motorsport lower control arms with the spherical bushing to prevent bind. Leave the uppers are they are. You dont need quad shocks, get stiffer springs and you should be fine.
Not trying to be disrespectful one bit. So don't take this the wrong way.
But have you personally ran these exact bars on a fox? I understand you are very knowledgeable, but imo these where one of the best purchases I have made. And everyone I have seen purchase them on here was extremely happy.
I have good friends that drove in my car before and after the install. And all of them were totally impressed with the difference.
If its just the noise, like I said I have never even heard it over the exhaust.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

There is nothing wrong with lift bars other than a plethora of misinformation about them. Like I said, I have had mine (original Southside Lift Bars) on my car for over 10 years and they have performed flawlessly with no noticeable noise or difficulties in cornering and handling. If anything the road/highway handling is improved.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Use some good aftermarket lower control arms like the UMI Lift Bars and DO NOT reinstall the quad shocks.

Quad shocks will not make your suspension soft or stiff.
They are just to prevent wheel hop which the aftermarket control arms handle very well.
They will also interfere with mounting wide rear tires, so most owners end up removing them and going with the aftermarket lower control arms anyways.
That's right, I removed mines for wider tire installation. I might check out some controll arms myself.
Haav is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT