Clutch problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Clutch problems

Ok so put a 92 gt back together and got it running. Now the only problem were are running into is with the clutch. What happens is every time you start it and let it come to idle then engage the clutch the rpms climb until you let the clutch off again. Never seen anything like it any and all help is appreciated.
Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Clutch problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
Ok so put a 92 gt back together and got it running. Now the only problem were are running into is with the clutch. What happens is every time you start it and let it come to idle then engage the clutch the rpms climb until you let the clutch off again. Never seen anything like it any and all help is appreciated.
Check your cable and the mechanism under the dash and make sure it isn't pulling on the throttle cable.

Have someone work the clutch and watch the throttle body linkage under the hood and see if it moves.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I went ahead and checked the cables and there isn't a problem with them. So maybe I'll post a video sometime this week but as of right now ill hopefully be hooking up the rest of my American thunder exhaust tomorrow but I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the info TH!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Alright I got everything all hooked up but have run into running issues. Every time I start the car it starts fine and sounds good then the check engine light pops on and it starts awful chokes out then dies. It does this every time. Also I checked the timing and got a new distributor cap.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

We are going to need a lot more info.

You said "put a 92 gt back together and got it running", exactly what all did you do?

You could have numerous issues and without knowing all of the information, it will be impossible for us to figure out what is going wrong.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok yea sorry was pretty vague. Well this is the problem, when we first started it a couple weeks ago we ran into issues. Such as idling problems and all this were fixed due to some old vac hoses. After fixing that it ran and idled ok for 30 seconds then we shut it off because it was loud and extremely late at night Then it sat for about 1 1/2 weeks (put the mufflers and tail pipes on in this time).

Now upon stating it as of yesterday it starts just fine and will idle ok for all of 2 seconds while the clutch is engaged, then I let off the clutch and the check engine light pops up and it sputters out and dies. It sounds like its misfiring/choking out when this happens.

Ask of right now my mods consist of cobra intake, 70mm throttle body, bbk cold air intake, bbk shorty headers, 225 lph fuel pump, bbk off road h-pipe, msd ignition coil and distributor cap, American thunder cat back exhaust, 3.73 gears, electric fan

As for everything else it's stock with about 120,000 miles. I also have replaced the spark plugs, o2 sensors, fuel pump relay. Also checked the timing and everything is fine there.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Also to give you back detail, the donor car was a wrecked 1990 gt. We pulled out the motor, tranny, driveshaft, clutch, bellhousing, and A9L computer. The car we put it into was a 1992 fuel injected 1992 gt. They had left every part of the wiring harness in the car just yanked engine, tranny and computer. Both car were manual. The 1992 still is a manual computer.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot
Ok yea sorry was pretty vague. Well this is the problem, when we first started it a couple weeks ago we ran into issues. Such as idling problems and all this were fixed due to some old vac hoses. After fixing that it ran and idled ok for 30 seconds then we shut it off because it was loud and extremely late at night Then it sat for about 1 1/2 weeks (put the mufflers and tail pipes on in this time).

Now upon stating it as of yesterday it starts just fine and will idle ok for all of 2 seconds while the clutch is engaged, then I let off the clutch and the check engine light pops up and it sputters out and dies. It sounds like its misfiring/choking out when this happens.

Ask of right now my mods consist of cobra intake, 70mm throttle body, bbk cold air intake, bbk shorty headers, 225 lph fuel pump, bbk off road h-pipe, msd ignition coil and distributor cap, American thunder cat back exhaust, 3.73 gears, electric fan, 95 amp PA alternator

As for everything else it's stock with about 120,000 miles. I also have replaced the spark plugs, o2 sensors, fuel pump relay. Also checked the timing and everything is fine there.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Also to give you back detail, the donor car was a wrecked 1990 gt. We pulled out the motor, tranny, driveshaft, clutch, bellhousing, and A9L computer. The car we put it into was a 1992 fuel injected 1992 gt. They had left every part of the wiring harness in the car just yanked engine, tranny and computer. Both car were manual. The 1992 still is a manual computer.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot

Ask of right now my mods consist of cobra intake, 70mm throttle body, bbk cold air intake, bbk shorty headers, 225 lph fuel pump, bbk off road h-pipe, msd ignition coil and distributor cap, American thunder cat back exhaust, 3.73 gears, electric fan

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------
Sorry to keep adding on also though I have removed the a/c and no smog or charcoal canister. My egr valve isn't hooked up, it's plugged in but I have no vacuum canister either, could this cause the problem?
Old 07-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

You have something shorting out or cross wired causing problems when you release the clutch. I would concentrate on the wiring to the clutch switch and any wiring around the mechanism under the dash. Also check any wiring going to the transmission.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ok will do thanks for the input TH will keep you posted when I find the problem it'll be a couple of days till I can work on it
Old 08-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well after finding sometime I have been able to work in my stang!!!! I have the car now running and idling but not very well. The problems now are when it idles it sits around 2k rpm then climbs to 3k rpm on its own after a few seconds of running. When I engage the clutch it drops down to 1k rpm and if I let off the clutch it jumps right back to 3k. Now I have about 8 different engine codes coming up when I test it. I don't have them off hand but I know some come up for the clutch safety switch and the air diverter solined, along with the tps sensor. I have gone through and check along with cleaned all the connection point on the engine. I did not pull apart the mass air flow sensor and clean that yet but looking for any input thanks and I'll try to keep up on the post.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well after finding sometime I have been able to work in my stang!!!! I have the car now running and idling but not very well. The problems now are when it idles it sits around 2k rpm then climbs to 3k rpm on its own after a few seconds of running. When I engage the clutch it drops down to 1k rpm and if I let off the clutch it jumps right back to 3k. Now I have about 8 different engine codes coming up when I test it. I don't have them off hand but I know some come up for the clutch safety switch and the air diverter solined, along with the tps sensor. I have gone through and check along with cleaned all the connection point on the engine. I did not pull apart the mass air flow sensor and clean that yet but looking for any input thanks and I'll try to keep up on the post.

Go to the Useful Info sticky thread and at the top is a link for testing components.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well went through some problems and I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to a poor ground some where for the MAP sensor. As of right now the map is only receiving 2.86 volts when it using the ground on the connector but if I ground it out to the frame it reads five volts so I have to trace and see where the problem lies.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well went through some problems and I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to a poor ground some where for the MAP sensor. As of right now the map is only receiving 2.86 volts when it using the ground on the connector but if I ground it out to the frame it reads five volts so I have to trace and see where the problem lies.

Yes, I believe you may have found the main issue. Bad grounds can cause a whole host of problems.

Ground from the battery directly to the engine block and make sure you have good contact. I always use the internal toothed lock washers on both sides of the wire ends to insure good contact. They dig into the wire end and the vehicle/engine metal to make better contact.
From the engine run grounds to the frame and firewall of the car and make sure they have good contact too.

Lock washer Pics - Internal Lock washers
Old 08-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I'll do that then. We all have to love those electrical gremlins that enjoy aggravating us!! I'll keep you guys posted when I find the problem.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ok pretty sure the problem is one of the wires coming from the computer because that wire runs through the clutch saftey switch, tps, iat, map, and a few more. All those sensors are failing according to the computer when I test it so now time to go wire tracing what fun
Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well it has been awhile since I posted anything about this. I finally found a solution to my problem. I pulled Dow the clutch starter switch and taped it shut. Then bam check engine codes went off and she runs like a champ now. To make a list of all the parts I added

Cobra Intake
70mm BBK throttle body
Tockio HP Shocks Front and Rear
Steeda lowering springs
American Catback Exhaust
BBK mid pipe
BBK Shorty Headers
Short Throw Shifter (unknown brand came with car)
Battery Relocated to the rear
Motor Craft plugs and wires
MSD cap and rotor
MSD ignition coil
225 LPH fuel pump
3.73 Gears
Tubular Upper and Lower Control Arms
New Summit Oil Pan
New Polyurethane Motor Mounts

After 1 1/2 years she is finally ready for the summer roads here in NY. There is still a lot I want to do, but I really just want to enjoy here now. If any one has questions feel free to message me on here and ill help you to the best of my knowledge.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT