check out this STOCK throttle body! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
check out this STOCK throttle body!

The previous owner removed the innerds or the stock throttle body lol! Could this have been the cause of my engine stalling out when I come to a stop? What other issues might this create?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120709_213046.png
Views:	149
Size:	641.3 KB
ID:	58275
mustangbill00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
Is that the MAF?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbill00
The previous owner removed the innerds or the stock throttle body lol! Could this have been the cause of my engine stalling out when I come to a stop? What other issues might this create?
That's the MAF sensor and yes that's a problem
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Lol oops! Wrong part on my mind.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

How would this effect the motor?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Lol oops! Wrong part on my mind.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

How would this effect the motor?
Tells how much air the car needs to suck.. It is a major part..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I know what it does, I was just wondering what kind of running issues it would cause. Thanks for the reply though.

Trojan?

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Actually I think it tells the CPU how much air is coming into the motor, then fuel, timing ect... is adjusted from there. Something like that lol
Old 07-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I know what it does, I was just wondering what kind of running issues it would cause. Thanks for the reply though.

Trojan?

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Actually I think it tells the CPU how much air is coming into the motor, then fuel, timing ect... is adjusted from there. Something like that lol
Well yes but without it working the motor does not no how much air to suck cause yes the problems idling running slowing down everything gas mpg drop. Just about anything..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 07-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Probably the reason it only gets around 16mpg on a mildly built 302, and it always smells like its running rich? I've got a 70mm on the way so I'm not really worried about it.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Probably the reason it only gets around 16mpg on a mildly built 302, and it always smells like its running rich? I've got a 70mm on the way so I'm not really worried about it.
70mm MAF sensor?
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 07-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Lol yeah, and 24lb injectors and 75mm throttle body.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Wow you get 17 mpg?? He'll I've gone 70 miles on a tank of gass lol but I've been working and test driving none stop.. It's idled alot
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 07-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

70 MILES ON ONE TANK?!?! What did you do to your motor?!?! Lol
Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
70 MILES ON ONE TANK?!?! What did you do to your motor?!?! Lol
Well for one the motors like uh..... Well leave it at that.. But it hasn't left town for a month.. So that's 70 miles intown cruzing.. It's painful
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 07-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I guess my 200 or so miles to a tank isn't bad I'm working on a turbo setup right now, so I'm sure that's going to make things even worse....or better, who knows!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #15
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I guess my 200 or so miles to a tank isn't bad I'm working on a turbo setup right now, so I'm sure that's going to make things even worse....or better, who knows!
Well I had all my mods put on hold so I'm fixing things little by little trying to keep her running.. But I have a feeling the motors gonna need rebuilt very soon but I just had to put every last pennie I had into college.. Sucks..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 07-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Wow that blows! That's good your going to college though. Something I should have done! Is your motor a 5.0? I ask BC your profile name is Sixpack.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Wow that blows! That's good your going to college though. Something I should have done! Is your motor a 5.0? I ask BC your profile name is Sixpack.
I have an orange 5.0

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1932282639.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	597.2 KB
ID:	58298

She's my baby..

My black one is my DD well kinda.. Because the motors going bad I find myself trying to get every last mile out on my orange one so I drive it every day.. But yeah I'm still going to be doing little diy things and maintance on them but no more mods for a while.. Right before I leave for colledge.. I'm pulling the motor
And having it taking in to a good family ford genius and he's gonna rebuild it over the winter..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I need to get another fox again . Mine got wrapped around a tree by my brother.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #19
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I need to get another fox again . Mine got wrapped around a tree by my brother.
I could be happier with mine.. It's a cobra.. But I want a cobra in the 96-98 style..

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Well the body and motor are besides the intake I've hot that waiting to put on..

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

Couldnt***
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #20
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
The ”honeycomb” screen has been removed obviously,but the maf sensor hot wires are still there at least one from what I can see(there should be two) the other one could just be dirty..I would replace the screen as those hot wires are very delicate and directly affect your a/f ratio and will definitely cause poor gas mileage and performance if damaged:/...also get some maf cleaner too..

Oh and the ”honeycomb” screen helps to direct the airflow to get proper readings with the maf sensor..without it you'll get false readings and improper a/f ratios
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

The ”honeycomb” screen has been removed obviously,but the maf sensor hot wires are still there at least one from what I can see(there should be two) the other one could just be dirty..I would replace the screen as those hot wires are very delicate and directly affect your a/f ratio and will definitely cause poor gas mileage and performance if damaged:/...also get some maf cleaner too..
I'm not going to mess with it at this point. Its free if anyone wants it lol.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: check out this STOCK throttle body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbill00 View Post
That used to be a pretty common mod. The sensor is still there so it should work ok.
I have read that at times you might need to "clock" the MAF for it to read correctly when it has been modified.
Clocking just means to rotate it until you find the position it operates the best in.

If it is free I will take it. Just PM me the cost to send it to 65248 and get my address.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac

I could be happier with mine.. It's a cobra.. But I want a cobra in the 96-98 style..

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Well the body and motor are besides the intake I've hot that waiting to put on..

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

Couldnt***
Ok, it's killing me. Beautiful car but nothing about the gt ground effects or spoiler are screaming cobra. I just don't want you being pinned as a poser for something that simple.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:23 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

That used to be a pretty common mod. The sensor is still there so it should work ok.
I have read that at times you might need to "clock" the MAF for it to read correctly when it has been modified.
Clocking just means to rotate it until you find the position it operates the best in.

If it is free I will take it. Just PM me the cost to send it to 65248 and get my address.
Damn thats is old school I did that when I was in highschool and then just customized a c&l test tube on it lol good mod for $40 back in the days, damn dominos didn't pay enough for a real c&l lol

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post

Oh and the ”honeycomb” screen helps to direct the airflow to get proper readings with the maf sensor..without it you'll get false readings and improper a/f ratios
Where can u buy the screen at? I'd like to put one in mine. Previous owner took it out. I'd feel better with it in
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #26
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

Ok, it's killing me. Beautiful car but nothing about the gt ground effects or spoiler are screaming cobra. I just don't want you being pinned as a poser for something that simple.
It was wrecked pretty bad and the doner car was a gt.. So I an slowly returning it to a cobra..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #27
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
It was wrecked pretty bad and the doner car was a gt.. So I an slowly returning it to a cobra..
Is the body shell the Cobra?
If not and it no longer has the Cobra VIN, it is no longer a Cobra, just a clone.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #28
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

If not and it no longer has the Cobra VIN, it is no longer a Cobra, just a clone.
Yeah it was side swiped.. So the fender door and hood are from the gt red underneather.. And the ground effects on the driver side were ruined so he swapped them all because he wanted them to match..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #29
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
Yeah it was side swiped.. So the fender door and hood are from the gt red underneather.. And the ground effects on the driver side were ruined so he swapped them all because he wanted them to match..
Then you still have the Cobra VIN, so all you need to do is to restore the missing pieces.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #30
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

So yes it's more like a cobra clone.. But once I get it painted I'm going to go badgeless so I guess it don't really matter..

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Quote:

Then you still have the Cobra VIN, so all you need to do is to restore the missing pieces.
Yeah I'm buying the cobra ground effects.. I like the clean cut style more anyway.. Then I need the cobra intake.. And it should be back to normal.. Oh an the the front an rear axles need to be 5 lug again.. The front was damaged in the accident so he changed them both.. So at the moment is more like a cobra clone... Just got to work her back up.. Someday after school in like 4 years lol..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT