Temp gauge - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Ok so there one temp gauge sending unit that reports to the ecu so what does the coolent sensor do. Because they both measure. Coolent temp except the sensor is a sensor and plugs into wiring harness and the sending unit is a tiny little wire that connects to back of gauge in dash so naturally being there are two different things that read temp. Wouldn't it make since that the one that goes into main wiring harness be the one that feeds ecu. And the one that goes to gauge is just that for the gauge to let you know what temp is.
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #37
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Ok so there one temp gauge sending unit that reports to the ecu so what does the coolent sensor do. Because they both measure. Coolent temp except the sensor is a sensor and plugs into wiring harness and the sending unit is a tiny little wire that connects to back of gauge in dash so naturally being there are two different things that read temp. Wouldn't it make since that the one that goes into main wiring harness be the one that feeds ecu. And the one that goes to gauge is just that for the gauge to let you know what temp is.
Makes sense. But I am a little confused on this part
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #38
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Temp gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
The man has spoken! Lol.

Very good points. I would still think there would be some sort of inaccuracy. Being the thermostat housing is being fed with cooled water straight from the radiator. Instead of water exiting the engine.

But I do believe that the inaccuracy isn't enough to worry about.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Actually I should have phrased it as. If your using it for actuall water temp that's what your getting.
But if you are using it as engine temp its not accurate. If that makes sense.
But it is a water temp gauge. Lol just some people use it to know the temp of there engine
The top is the return feed from the engine. The pump sucks in the bottom through the radiator, pushes it through the engine block & heads and out through the top hose and back into the radiator. So you get engine temp coolant right there.

They do that because as the water cools it gets denser & heavier and will flow to the bottom easier than trying to push it out the top of the radiator.

Generic Engine pic, but it's like this.

Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #39
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78 View Post
TBH, I wasn't aware that there were two different coolant temp sensors/sending units.
I assumed that they used only one for both purposes.
If that is the case then the one feeding the gauge isn't necessary and if you don't care that the dash gauge works or not, then yes you could use that port.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #40
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

The top is the return feed from the engine. The pump sucks in the bottom through the radiator, pushes it through the engine block & heads and out through the top hose and back into the radiator. So you get engine temp coolant right there.

They do that because as the water cools it gets denser & heavier and will flow to the bottom easier than trying to push it out the top of the radiator.

Generic Engine pic, but it's like this.
Got it. Then that makes more sense. For some reason I was thinking that it flowed the other direction. nice talk.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #41
Road Trip!

Oh yeah trojan...
What do think about the tee'ing into a hose? If there is no spot on the housing, some people may not want to drill and tap or replace. It wouldn't bother me one bit though.

Also just fyi, even though nobody uses the hole for it. But the hole on the thermostat housing is design to help bleed air out of the system when adding coolant. I know that doesn't matter , I just thought that I would share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120711_161951.png
Views:	136
Size:	481.7 KB
ID:	58554  
Old 07-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #42
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Oh yeah trojan...
What do think about the tee'ing into a hose? If there is no spot on the housing, some people may not want to drill and tap or replace. It wouldn't bother me one bit though.

Also just fyi, even though nobody uses the hole for it. But the hole on the thermostat housing is design to help bleed air out of the system when adding coolant. I know that doesn't matter , I just thought that I would share.
Yes you could do that, just be sure to mount it with the fittings to the side and you would want it on the top hose. Although it would maybe be cheaper to just replace the thermostat housing with one that has a hole tapped in it?

Yes, that hole is primarily made for bleeding off air, but is usually only used for that on vehicles where the engine is higher than the radiator. On various other Ford vehicles I have seen sensors mounted in it too.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #43
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yes you could do that, just be sure to mount it with the fittings to the side and you would want it on the top hose. Although it would maybe be cheaper to just replace the thermostat housing with one that has a hole tapped in it?

Yes, that hole is primarily made for bleeding off air, but is usually only used for that on vehicles where the engine is higher than the radiator. On various other Ford vehicles I have seen sensors mounted in it too.
well i have mine in the intake. i was just curious , for future tech. some people may have fancy t- housings and may not want to do that.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

First one plugs into wiring harness second is the one for gauge and third is position on intake
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-971851643.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	58560   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3903786750.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	58561  

Name:	image-1042183313.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	58562  
Old 07-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #45
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
First one plugs into wiring harness second is the one for gauge and third is position on intake
I believe you, I just never paid any attention to them before, because they never gave me any problems on any of the Fox Bodies I have owned.
So, I learned something new today.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #46
Road Trip!

Quote:

I believe you, I just never paid any attention to them before, because they never gave me any problems on any of the Fox Bodies I have owned.
So, I learned something new today.
We all did.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Figured I'd post them up for future reference for anyone that may read this later.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #48
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Figured I'd post them up for future reference for anyone that may read this later.
Good idea!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Thanks to everyone. This has helped alot. I dont think the tee would b good becouse would b up so high. Seems like it would b more of a place for air to sit to me
Kenny laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #50
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny laird
Thanks to everyone. This has helped alot. I dont think the tee would b good becouse would b up so high. Seems like it would b more of a place for air to sit to me
your welcome. it was a great discussion.
the tee seems like it would only be feasible on the heater core hose. but i would do trojans idea. btw i picked up a new housing off ebay for dirt cheap.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #51
Road Trip!

T housing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120711_181836.png
Views:	129
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	58577  
Old 07-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

I just put auto meter gauges in my 92 gt. the tee idea works fine on the oil pressure but would not give me a good reading or coolant temp. What I ended up doing was taking the sending unit for the factory gauge out and that I where I put my sending unit for my auto meter gauge. Then I bought another thermostat housing and put the factory sending unit in it. It doesn't really give an accurate reading but I just didn't want a dead gauge in the cab. I just put a tee where the factory oil pressure was and then installed my factory and auto meter sending unit there. If u need any pics just let me know. Hope this helps
Travis B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #53
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis B
I just put auto meter gauges in my 92 gt. the tee idea works fine on the oil pressure but would not give me a good reading or coolant temp. What I ended up doing was taking the sending unit for the factory gauge out and that I where I put my sending unit for my auto meter gauge. Then I bought another thermostat housing and put the factory sending unit in it. It doesn't really give an accurate reading but I just didn't want a dead gauge in the cab. I just put a tee where the factory oil pressure was and then installed my factory and auto meter sending unit there. If u need any pics just let me know. Hope this helps
actually that is basically what we(mostly trojan) came up with after the long discussion. almost down to the tee(not literaly) lol
Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Sure post a pic of it. Always good for a reference pic
Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #55
Road Trip!

Quote:
Sure post a pic of it. Always good for a reference pic
what are you talking bout? his tee on the oil?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Yep.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #57
Road Trip!

i would like to see to. that gauge will be a future mod of mine also.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #58
Road Trip!
Supporter

It's pretty simple on the oil.You just need a nipple of the proper length and a tee, both in 1/4" pipe.
Nipple needs to be just long enough so you can get the tee and sending units on it.

And before you ask, No, the nipple will not get longer if you play with it.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Haha lol
Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #60
Road Trip!

Quote:
Haha lol
Lmao. I didn't catch that until u lol'ed
Old 07-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #61
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
Ha that's funny.. Dam I feel left out I have been so damn busy lately!! Nice profile pic Dream lol I had the same thought a while back guess I will have to find me a Nissan pic
Old 07-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #62
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Ha that's funny.. Dam I feel left out I have been so damn busy lately!! Nice profile pic Dream lol I had the same thought a while back guess I will have to find me a Nissan pic
Lol. Thanx man. Just using newtons third law.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #63
Road Trip!
Supporter

Here, I fixed that for you.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #64
Road Trip!

Quote:
Here, I fixed that for you.
Haha lmao.
When I get home that's the one !
Old 07-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #65
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Haha lmao.
When I get home that's the one !
Glad you liked it.

To the OP, If you want I can remove all of the off topic posts in your thread.
Sorry, it just seems to happen on occasion.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #66
Road Trip!

Yes and I apologize also.

Hey trojan though if you delete you can repost that pic in my thread so I can use it? It's to funny to waist.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #67
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yes and I apologize also.

Hey trojan though if you delete you can repost that pic in my thread so I can use it? It's to funny to waist.
I have it on my PC.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Its no big deal. Can never have to much info.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Some good laughs to
Kenny laird is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT