Temp gauge - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Temp gauge

Anyone know witch wire on temp coolant sensor to hook to for sensor wire on pillar gauge.
Kenny laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I know its a dumb ? But i think i got a bad gage soon as i turn get it jumps to 180 engine cold not runing
Old 07-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
your hooking up an aftermarket gauge?

if so they will come with there own stuff usually.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes hooking up a temp gage has a power and ground and one wire that runs to temp sensor but when i turn key on the gage jumps to 180 without even starting the car.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Road Trip!

maybe you could show us the instructions and give us the year of your car? and ill see if i can help you better?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Temp gauge

You have to use a sensor that is calibrated for the aftermarket gauge. I doubt that hooking it up to the factory temp sensor will work.
You don't really want to hack up the factory wire or temp sensor for an aftermarket gauge, as the ECU gets info from there to adjust your A/F ratio when the engine is cold or hot.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well my son desided to do somethn with instuction page so cant find it. But all it is is a power from ignition switch and a ground. And one wire it says to run to sending unit. Its auto meter gage.
I asked when i bought the gage if it needed a dif sending unit and was told no
Old 07-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny laird
Well my son desided to do somethn with instuction page so cant find it. But all it is is a power from ignition switch and a ground. And one wire it says to run to sending unit. Its auto meter gage.
I asked when i bought the gage if it needed a dif sending unit and was told no
what about a part number? like i said earlier they usually have there own unit,especially an auto meter brand.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3031193388.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	58382
Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Road Trip!

ill see what i can find. what year is your car?

you bought this new? cause i still think it should have its own sensor.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yes bought new. Car is a 93
Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Road Trip!

ok ..give me a bit, and ill check it out.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Road Trip!

i looked at multiple instructions on www.autometer.com everything i read said how to install the sending unit. i couldnt find anything on tapping into the original sender. it also said to keep the original function by using a tee.

then i checked in the haynes schmatic. and it shows 2 wires a black and white. the white runs to the ecu. and the black runs everywhere.lol i would be careful cause the ecu relies on the information from this to do its thing.

honestly im sure i havent been of much help. but i would call either who you bought it from, or summit racing or jegs tech support. they are great and maybe they can assist you better. sorry if this doesnt help much.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

So called place i bought it and for some reason the sensor wasnt in the box so ya. Shoulda came with a sensor. Thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
Road Trip!

no problem. trojan said that way earlier. i was just verifying as you said it didnt come with one.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

And no were on instruction did it talk about it. Weird
Old 07-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny laird
And no were on instruction did it talk about it. Weird
not about tapping into the stock sensor wiring.

http://www.autometer.com/tech_instructions.aspx?sid=1
Old 07-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

One more ? How do i keep stock gage working to ounce i change sensor for auto meter sensor
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #20
Road Trip!

That's why I was talking of using a tee. You would unscrew the stock sending unit. Add a tee. The screw in the stock and new sending units into the tee.
If you already have an extra spot to put the new sending unit without tee'ing into the stock location, that is fine to.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

So i would b using both temp sensors at one at each end of the tee. Ok thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Exactly
Your welcome
Old 07-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #23
Road Trip!
Supporter

Using a tee will kind of work, but note that it may affect your ECU's tuning ability a bit. Using the tee moves the sensors up away from the coolant so there will be a slight difference in what the gauges/ECU reads because air will get trapped in the tee and the sensors won't be reading the actual coolant temperature.

A good place to put the aftermarket sensor is in the thermostat housing.
Most of them have a place on top that may or may not be drilled out and threaded.
If they are not then you just need to drill and tap them for the thread size you need for the sending unit. Usually a 3/8" or 1/2" pipe thread is what is needed.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Using a tee will kind of work, but note that it may affect your ECU's tuning ability a bit. Using the tee moves the sensors up away from the coolant so there will be a slight difference in what the gauges/ECU reads because air will get trapped in the tee and the sensors won't be reading the actual coolant temperature.

A good place to put the aftermarket sensor is in the thermostat housing.
Most of them have a place on top that may or may not be drilled out and threaded.
If they are not then you just need to drill and tap them for the thread size you need for the sending unit. Usually a 3/8" or 1/2" pipe thread is what is needed.
I respectfully disagree.

Autometer actually recommends using a tee. I think there would be enough water to maint a steady reading imo.

I also think the tee would be better than the thermostat housing. I use the thermostat housing for my fan sensor. But its on the radiator side of the thermostat, so it will not even have fluid flowing through it until the engine is up to temp, or thermostat is open. The coolant temp sensor is more actualy designed to give you engine temp through the coolant.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #25
Road Trip!

I did forget to mention about using the thermostat housing. It would still give you accurate reading but just not at first until the thermostat opened.people do use it all the time.
It would also make the install easier.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I have one question how in the world are you suppose to fit a tee the is gonna end up being 4in wide in a space that is just big enough for one sending unit.

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Same thing for oil pressure sending unit
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
I have one question how in the world are you suppose to fit a tee the is gonna end up being 4in wide in a space that is just big enough for one sending unit.

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Same thing for oil pressure sending unit
Good point. That is why people probably use the thermostat housing.

As for the oil, idk cause I haven't hooked one up......yet..

I didn't have any problems because I'm carb converted, so I'm missing some sensors. My water temp gauge is right on my intake.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Well I have new digital gauges that came with new sending units and if I plug factory wires up to new stuff nothing works so I just kept factory stuff unplugged to get accurate temp and pressure readings. But as for both temp and oil especially oil there's no room for a tee. I went to parts place and got the fittings and no only doubles the width but adds a inch or two to height where it won't fit.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Here they are
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1599851686.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	58492  
Old 07-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #30
Road Trip!

Well those gauges aren't vehicle specific. They are probably giving you best case scenario.

But as trojan said before you probably want to leave you factory water sending unit hooked up. Because it also sends info to the ecu.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Yea it's just trying to figure out how lol
Old 07-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Yea it's just trying to figure out how lol
Use your tee and tapp into the heater core hose. Just put a hose barn on each end.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

So are u saying that leaving my stock sensor unpluged it will effect the way my car runs. I thought the ecu got its info from the coolant temp sensor. Not the sending unit
Old 07-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #34
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
I respectfully disagree.

Autometer actually recommends using a tee. I think there would be enough water to maint a steady reading imo.

I also think the tee would be better than the thermostat housing. I use the thermostat housing for my fan sensor. But its on the radiator side of the thermostat, so it will not even have fluid flowing through it until the engine is up to temp, or thermostat is open. The coolant temp sensor is more actualy designed to give you engine temp through the coolant.
Goody a discussion! I most humbly and respectfully disagree with your disagreement.

Here's why:

Any air in the system (and there is always a bit of air being introduced as it is not a totally sealed system) will eventually find the first highest spot it can, which will be the tee on the engine intake.
IF the fitting does not leak and you do NOT periodically bleed that air off, then you will not be getting a 100% true temperature reading. Trapped air can be an insulator and in this case it will be. (The capital letters are just for emphasis, not to be a smart@55.)

Believe me, I have spent to many years fighting issues like this both in the power plant on the large engines and as a plumbing and heating tech working on boilers and hot water heating systems.
If Autometer recommends this, then someone there has dropped the ball and needs to do some research. It was likely recommended without anyone putting much though into it.

The thermostat housing to me is the most logical place to put it. You will get a bit of difference until the thermostat opens, but it will be minor and of no consequence because the engine has not reached operating temperature. (I have tested this with a thermometer, which is still installed on my engine.) Once the engine does reach operating temperature there is virtually no difference (1-3 degrees max) between the temperature of the engine coolant taken there or on the intake. There is coolant there above the thermostat at all times as it is lower than the tank on your radiator. It will heat up almost as fast as the coolant behind the thermostat due to heat transfer from the block/intake. If your intake is aluminum it will transfer the heat even better than cast iron will.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #35
Road Trip!

The man has spoken! Lol.

Very good points. I would still think there would be some sort of inaccuracy. Being the thermostat housing is being fed with cooled water straight from the radiator. Instead of water exiting the engine.

But I do believe that the inaccuracy isn't enough to worry about.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Actually I should have phrased it as. If your using it for actuall water temp that's what your getting.
But if you are using it as engine temp its not accurate. If that makes sense.
But it is a water temp gauge. Lol just some people use it to know the temp of there engine

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT