heads questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
heads questions

Do all gt40 heads have an imprint "gt40" under the valve cover? Idk if I'm looking good enough or not but the only imprint I saw was "6E8" and a Ford emblem. I'm starting to think I don't have gt40s. I was told I do when I bought it but who knows. And don't gt40 heads have 3 bars on the front of it and 4 I think for gt40p? Because I only have one bar on em. I'm intending on upgrading them in November anyways just wanna know for if I sell them, I planned on getting victor jr heads maybe with the 210 intake chamber ccs but would that be too much for my car without supporting miss should I try something lower like 185s? Alota questions but Google didn't give me any help on the gt40 part lol

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody
Do all gt40 heads have an imprint "gt40" under the valve cover? Idk if I'm looking good enough or not but the only imprint I saw was "6E8" and a Ford emblem. I'm starting to think I don't have gt40s. I was told I do when I bought it but who knows. And don't gt40 heads have 3 bars on the front of it and 4 I think for gt40p? Because I only have one bar on em. I'm intending on upgrading them in November anyways just wanna know for if I sell them, I planned on getting victor jr heads maybe with the 210 intake chamber ccs but would that be too much for my car without supporting miss should I try something lower like 185s? Alota questions but Google didn't give me any help on the gt40 part lol
Mods* not miss spell check
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Yes gt40 heads have "GT" stamped under the valve cover and have 3 vertical bars. Gt40p have "GT40p" stamped and 4 vertical bars

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
Old 07-14-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Yeah those aren't gt40s. I don't remember, so don't quote me on this. But they might be 351w heads. Ford does make e6 heads but I'm not sure they would say 6e heads. Either way I don't think they are good heads. You 347 will be much happy when you replace them.

Before you purchase the heads. I would check the stroke to make sure you even have a striker. It's really easy to check. Otherwise if you were lied to on that also you may end up overheading it.

Stock bore= 4.00"
Stock stroke= 3.00"

Just whenever your ready to purchase pull a head and take a few measurements. If its stock your not gonna wanna run 205 heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: heads questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody View Post
---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ---------

Mods* not miss spell check
1. If you have E6 heads, toss them in the trash can. They are not much good for any performance use. (Not sure from the numbers you gave.)

2. Victor Jr heads are gong to be too much unless you are building a high RPM race engine or are planning on using forced induction. (However, you can buy them if you wish and I will trade you my Edelbrock RPM's for them. )

AFR or other manufacturer's 165 or 185's would be a good choice.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I had one bar heads and they were e7s. Some of the stock heads are stamped on the bottom of the head. Either way they are probably either e6 or e7 and not good for performance. You would probably have to take them off and flip them over to be sure.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Either way I plan on getting new ones. It'd be better if they are gt40s lol but I will check the stroke to make sure bc I gotta check the pistons anyways before I get new heads. And Trojan are the victors good with nitrous? This guy near me has an Edelbrock carb set up from summit never used bc he went a different way I guess has everything I can get it cheaper then new would nitrous be something to consider or should I stay away from it
Old 07-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody View Post
Either way I plan on getting new ones. It'd be better if they are gt40s lol but I will check the stroke to make sure bc I gotta check the pistons anyways before I get new heads. And Trojan are the victors good with nitrous? This guy near me has an Edelbrock carb set up from summit never used bc he went a different way I guess has everything I can get it cheaper then new would nitrous be something to consider or should I stay away from it
The Victors are basically the top of the line performance head from Edelbrock and best suited to high rpm racing usage.

I don't like nitrous for the simple reason of the hassle with filling the bottles and the chance of nitrous backfires when the bottle pressure changes. It is the cheapest power adder, but too erratic to suit me.

IMO......Edelbrock carbs suck. Had one in the past, numerous tuning issues and it wore out parts within two years of use.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Just fyi. Checking stroke and bore won't help you confirm gt40 or not. It will give you verificcation on the cubic inch of your motor.

And I agree with everything trojan just said.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Just fyi. Checking stroke and bore won't help you confirm gt40 or not. It will give you verificcation on the cubic inch of your motor.

And I agree with everything trojan just said.
Oh yeah I know that I'm just saying I'm checking anyways and so I should stay away from nitrous? I already have an Edelbrock carb the guy has that kit with the plate for under the carb same carb I have. Pretty much I'm trying to find some more horses this winter. By November ill have a little more than 2100 so I was thinking heads maybe the nitrous and something else not sure yet tho but maybe not nitrous now
Old 07-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:

Oh yeah I know that I'm just saying I'm checking anyways and so I should stay away from nitrous? I already have an Edelbrock carb the guy has that kit with the plate for under the carb same carb I have. Pretty much I'm trying to find some more horses this winter. By November ill have a little more than 2100 so I was thinking heads maybe the nitrous and something else not sure yet tho but maybe not nitrous now
what size carb you have on it know?

i think you will be suprised how much power you will gain from just adding a set of tfs,afr or edelbrock heads. im not big on nitrous personally because the same reasons trojan stated. plus a nitrous sytem needs to tuned properly to work safe. being a carb setup and more of a beginner i would stray away from that imo.

when i added the trickflow heads to my car, it didnt even feelmlike e same car. i think you will be more than happy with a really nice set of heads.

with 2100$ i would get some real nice heads. you will probably need pushrods. roller rockers, 1.7 if you have clearance. then if you need to you can upgrade to a nicer holley carb. thats the way i would spend that. oh yeah and a gasket set and head studs.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post

i think you will be suprised how much power you will gain from just adding a set of tfs,afr or edelbrock heads. im not big on nitrous personally because the same reasons trojan stated. plus a nitrous sytem needs to tuned properly to work safe. being a carb setup and more of a beginner i would stray away from that imo.

when i added the trickflow heads to my car, it didnt even feelmlike e same car. i think you will be more than happy with a really nice set of heads.

with 2100$ i would get some real nice heads. you will probably need pushrods. roller rockers, 1.7 if you have clearance. then if you need to you can upgrade to a nicer holley carb. thats the way i would spend that. oh yeah and a gasket set and head studs.
Heads are definitely the the key player in producing power with the 5.0.
Factory heads are just to restrictive to allow the engine to breathe freely.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

My carb is 600 cfm. What size should I get if I get a bigger one?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #13
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
600 should be fine with your current setup. But with better flowing heads a 650 DP will be great
Old 07-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
600 should be fine with your current setup. But with better flowing heads a 650 DP will be great
agreed. that would do it.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

After looking at my car a lot I'm just getting heads bc I'm gonna spend the rest on new front suspension and try to clean her up a bit rust wise and all.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #16
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Quote:
After looking at my car a lot I'm just getting heads bc I'm gonna spend the rest on new front suspension and try to clean her up a bit rust wise and all.
I would throw away that hei setup and by a msd while your at it. Js. It's an eye sore. Is your car a true stroker

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 AM ----------

Stroker
Old 07-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would throw away that hei setup and by a msd while your at it. Js. It's an eye sore. Is your car a true stroker

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 AM ----------

Stroker
I'm almost 100% positive.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:

Can be 100% positive until you measure stroke after you pull the heads.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #19
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Quote:

Cool. Is it quick? What kind of power are you making?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Cool. Is it quick? What kind of power are you making?
Imo its quick. With slicks the guy who dropped the motor in had the front end come up a little on first and second I guess its gotta be alittle quick for that lol. And I'm not going by word either lol
Old 07-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Quote:

Imo its quick. With slicks the guy who dropped the motor in had the front end come up a little on first and second I guess its gotta be alittle quick for that lol. And I'm not going by word either lol
Really? That's very hard to believe. With stock suspension? And it has a full interior?
Old 07-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Really? That's very hard to believe. With stock suspension? And it has a full interior?
Has tubular control arms in back. And front suspension off a gt there were better shocks in back but one broke so I put kybs on.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #23
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Cool I'd like to hear it any videos on YouTube?
Old 07-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Cool I'd like to hear it any videos on YouTube?
Once I get my headers on and my flowmasters and tail pipes get here ill post one. I'm having trouble getting the longtubes on lol
Old 07-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #25
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Yeah I understand..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT