My car just stopped... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
My car just stopped...

So I was heading home from going to buy some supplies for a paint job I am doing. I was sitting at a stoplight and my car died. It has randomly happened before but it started back up. Well this time it didn't. I called my dad and had him help me push it into a parking lot. I notices prior to it dying it seemed to bog a little when I gave it gas, so I assumed it was the fuel filter. I switched that out with a new wix filter. When I took the old filter off i turned it over and the gas was literally coming out brownish colored. It started and ran for about 30 seconds and died again, I waited about 5 minutes and tried again and it started but it died. Now it won't start at all. I looked at my spark plug wires and noticed some spots that looked melted from coming in contact with my headers. So I think it might not be getting a spark. Because when my dad towed me home, I could put it into gear and it would act like it was running but I had zero throttle response. Could the fuel filter being clogged cause my fuel pump to mess up or do you think it isn't getting a spark? I just wanted to get some advice from you more experienced guys.
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Def change plug wires if melted and if gas came out filter like that and filter was clogged def have bad gas. Could have clogged pump or screen in tank.
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Def change plug wires if melted and if gas came out filter like that and filter was clogged def have bad gas. Could have clogged pump or screen in tank.
The wires didn't look melted bad, but I think I will still change them. I will let you know if that fixes it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
No reason to start changing parts find your problem then fix it.. If all the wires aren't to old and are in decent shape it isn't likely them your car wouldn't just die.. It sounds to me that possibly your regulator or pump has gone bad. You should drop the tank and clean it inside and out. It only takes a couple hrs and is pretty simple
Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

U might want to check out your coil pack too, when their weak n get hot they give out. C if it cranks if sits and cools off if does then look at your coil, my 88 gt did the same thing
Krazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I just had this problem myself it was my coil. It was hot as hell out started to lose power then just died. I let it sit for about an hour and then it started and was fine. I would also check out your pick up coil in the dizzy as well. This is the second time its happened to me im going to a betted coil and a new dizzy. Hopefully this helps.
87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Yeah I've had this prob also in the past it has been several different things.. Start with a coil it it is old.. They are cheap. I never solved my problem when I had it cause I just got pissed and swapped to carb. Dumb idea now I think about it. But it may also be a something else cause I replaced my cook on it and it didn't fix it. When it happens again immediately go check for spark and fuel pressure that seems like a good starting point.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: My car just stopped...

The coil and PIP can cause that too, but I would check fuel pressure and delivery problems first.

There are test procedures in the Useful Info thread.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack
I just had this problem myself it was my coil. It was hot as hell out started to lose power then just died. I let it sit for about an hour and then it started and was fine. I would also check out your pick up coil in the dizzy as well. This is the second time its happened to me im going to a betted coil and a new dizzy. Hopefully this helps.
Well I have an MSD BLASTER 2 ignition coil. But it might be time for a new one.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
The coil and PIP can cause that too, but I would check fuel pressure and delivery problems first.

There are test procedures in the Useful Info thread.
I strive to achieve the car knowledge that you do someday.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK View Post
Well I have an MSD BLASTER 2 ignition coil. But it might be time for a new one.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

I strive to achieve the car knowledge that you do someday.
You will get there.
I've spent literally years working on, reading about and researching cures for all manner of automotive ills, and I have actually done a few things that our local mechs said can't be done. (No one told me I couldn't do that until after I already had .)
My one failing is that sometimes I still overlook doing the simple stuff first.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You will get there.
I've spent literally years working on, reading about and researching cures for all manner of automotive ills, and I have actually done a few things that our local mechs said can't be done. (No one told me I couldn't do that until after I already had .)
I think that is an accomplishment to be proud of. I often seem to make that mistake, I sometimes assume the worst when in reality it isn't a big deal. But being 16 I still have plenty of time to learn. And for someone my age I think I am doing okay.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
No reason to start changing parts find your problem then fix it.. If all the wires aren't to old and are in decent shape it isn't likely them your car wouldn't just die.. It sounds to me that possibly your regulator or pump has gone bad. You should drop the tank and clean it inside and out. It only takes a couple hrs and is pretty simple
Dropping the tank also involves me losing the $50 in gas I have in it. So that will be a final resort. And when it comes to changing parts, I think it's always good to go through and replace things that could cause a potential problem, even before they do. The way I drive my car sometimes makes me want to replace things just so I don't end up messing something up dogging it too hard. But I think it could be time for a new distributor,coil, plugs, and wires. Wouldn't hurt anything.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
Forum Car Trader
Regular

No it won't hurt anything but it may lower your total amount of $$ you have and may fix absolutely nothing.. Just a thought..
Old 07-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You will get there.
I have another question, temporarily "fixed" my car by cleaning all my spark plug connections but my car is idling rough and I can smell has while it is running. What does that sound like to you?
Old 07-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Ok are all wires plugged in good? Did you pull the plugs and look for signs of detonation? It could and most likely is a fuel air or fire problem. You need to check your fuel pressure. Assure each plug and wire are firing well and possibly check your vacuum lines etc.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Also check your injectors..
Old 07-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I have another question, temporarily "fixed" my car by cleaning all my spark plug connections but my car is idling rough and I can smell has while it is running. What does that sound like to you?
Sounds like you need to do a tune up and maybe replace all of the plug wires, plugs, dist cap and rotor.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sounds like you need to do a tune up and maybe replace all of the plug wires, plugs, dist cap and rotor.
I switched all my plugs, and then got all new wires. I went with MSD super conductors since they where red, and the color scheme of my car is black and red. I am also about to buy two new coils, my mechanic said when he was younger they used to rig another coil to the exhaust and hit a toggle switch and it would shoot flames! I wanna try it. I also orded a Bama tunes eliminator chip for my car. That should help a lot since the computers on the SN95 models sucked.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I switched all my plugs, and then got all new wires. I went with MSD super conductors since they where red, and the color scheme of my car is black and red. I am also about to buy two new coils, my mechanic said when he was younger they used to rig another coil to the exhaust and hit a toggle switch and it would shoot flames! I wanna try it. I also orded a Bama tunes eliminator chip for my car. That should help a lot since the computers on the SN95 models sucked.
Using that second coil for a flame thrower is a lot more involved than just the coil, plus it is illegal in some states to do that on the streets & highways and it is dangerous so be careful.

The old school guys would do it by running the mixture on the carb way rich, but on an EFI car you can't do that so you will need a fuel pump, lines, and spray tips. Then you have to install a spark plug threaded adapter in each tailpipe........etc., etc.

P.S. For dual exhaust you need one of those small engine 2 cylinder coils that has 2 plug wires coming out of it. One for each side.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:31 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Using that second coil for a flame thrower is a lot more involved than just the coil, plus it is illegal in some states to do that on the streets & highways and it is dangerous so be careful.

The old school guys would do it by running the mixture on the carb way rich, but on an EFI car you can't do that so you will need a fuel pump, lines, and spray tips. Then you have to install a spark plug threaded adapter in each tailpipe........etc., etc.

P.S. For dual exhaust you need one of those small engine 2 cylinder coils that has 2 plug wires coming out of it. One for each side.
We need to hang out so you can teach me. Haha. I bought and SCT 4-Bank Eliminator chip in my car and it runs soooo much better.

I am still not happy with my acceleration. I am running 3.73 gears. Would switching to 4.10's be smart since I can't really legally go over 70? I am not looking to set a land speed record or anything, I just want brutal acceleration.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
We need to hang out so you can teach me. Haha. I bought and SCT 4-Bank Eliminator chip in my car and it runs soooo much better.

I am still not happy with my acceleration. I am running 3.73 gears. Would switching to 4.10's be smart since I can't really legally go over 70? I am not looking to set a land speed record or anything, I just want brutal acceleration.
If you want better acceleration, then yes, 4.10's will help.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you want better acceleration, then yes, 4.10's will help.
Do you think that 4.30's or 4.56's would totally slaughter my gas mileage? And driving on the interstate would probably be bad too, I would probably be at 3k at 65mph.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Do you think that 4.30's or 4.56's would totally slaughter my gas mileage? And driving on the interstate would probably be bad too, I would probably be at 3k at 65mph.
The 4.30's wouldn't be to much worse.
Search for some online gear calculators and input your info to see what kind of RPM's you'll be turning in 5th gear to get an idea of how much it might affect your mileage.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT