93 lx long tube headers problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
93 lx long tube headers problems

I bought a set of longtubes from summit for a 93 lx 5.0. Is there less room under there on models originally auto 4 cylinders. Bc my header won't fit right. I completely took the steering linkage out and the motor mount and the valve cover off and I can get it mostly to fit but its hitting either the bell housing or the firewall depending on what angle I move it and it won't move any other way. I tried jacking the motor up and even lowering it a bit but I can't get it to fit still. Anybody put summit longtubes on before or any other longtubes and had run into these problems? Idk why they don't fit. I know for a fact I checked and it said they fit a 93 lx 5.0. Please help lol
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
Oh yeah your not the first!!! A hammer is about to become your friend lol it needs a lil massaging to fit. Be patient I think dream had this problem he will respond shortly.
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Oh yeah your not the first!!! A hammer is about to become your friend lol it needs a lil massaging to fit. Be patient I think dream had this problem he will respond shortly.
I was using a rubber mallet for a bit. Would it be easier going from underneath bc I was gonna out it up on ramps and try. I didn't even attempt the pass side yet lol
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
Passenger side should be easier.. But yes definitely try from the bottom up.. Jack the body of your car up for some clearance. Not the chassis.
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Passenger side should be easier.. But yes definitely try from the bottom up.. Jack the body of your car up for some clearance. Not the chassis.
I did jack the body up at first but its hitting the bell housing and firewall it kinda looks as if the last two cylinders, the header goes too far back
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
Ok.. Well give a lil bit for the gang someone has done it... I have once but the motor was already out so we were able to move it with the hoist.
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Ok.. Well give a lil bit for the gang someone has done it... I have once but the motor was already out so we were able to move it with the hoist.
Lol I wish I can just take the motor out and do it. And also I just double checked and the header on summit for the 93 lx 5.0 is identical so I know I didn't accidentally buy a different 5.0 mustang headers lol
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Oh yeah your not the first!!! A hammer is about to become your friend lol it needs a lil massaging to fit. Be patient I think dream had this problem he will respond shortly.
I only have the summit shorties. But the fitment was great. I didn't take anything off whatsoever, they basically slid into place. But yeah I know long tubes are different.

They gotta fit on there. Longtubes are a pain in the butt all the time. When 90 says massage, you may have to actually dimple the tube for clearance.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

I only have the summit shorties. But the fitment was great. I didn't take anything off whatsoever, they basically slid into place. But yeah I know long tubes are different.

They gotta fit on there. Longtubes are a pain in the butt all the time. When 90 says massage, you may have to actually dimple the tube for clearance.
Still can't get them on :/ spent the last 2 days just trying to fit the driver side I tried almost everything
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Maybe you can take some pics and we can give you some ideas?

What's it hitting? The bellhousing still?
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Maybe you can take some pics and we can give you some ideas?

What's it hitting? The bellhousing still?
Yeah bell housing and I think its the k member Idk. I'll go get some pics now
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
It doesn't fit in between the bell housing and I believe the k member I think if that's it and the cable down there. I jacked the motor up as high as I could took the motor mount off took the steering linkage or whatever out and it won't fit. I tried angling it every possible way
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120719_163403.png
Views:	122
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	59765  
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody
It doesn't fit in between the bell housing and I believe the k member I think if that's it and the cable down there. I jacked the motor up as high as I could took the motor mount off took the steering linkage or whatever out and it won't fit. I tried angling it every possible way
I took the header out bc you couldn't really see it with it in there my camera wouldnt take a good pic of it
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #14
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody
It doesn't fit in between the bell housing and I believe the k member I think if that's it and the cable down there. I jacked the motor up as high as I could took the motor mount off took the steering linkage or whatever out and it won't fit. I tried angling it every possible way
Hmmm... It's really hard to tell from the pic. But unless because mine is a convertible, it looks way different. Do you have an aftermarket k member?
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Hmmm... It's really hard to tell from the pic. But unless because mine is a convertible, it looks way different. Do you have an aftermarket k member?
I wasn't told so. Maybe. I know the entire front suspension isn't from the lx. Idk if the k member is included when he said that
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #16
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
Ok undo your motor mounts and jack the front of the motor up at the balancer then slide them in from the bottom. Place wood blocks on top of jack so u don't hurt the pulley
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #17
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Ok undo your motor mounts and jack the front of the motor up at the balancer then slide them in from the bottom. Place wood blocks on top of jack so u don't hurt the pulley
does that look like the stock k member? its different from mine, but i didnt know if thats because i have a vert?
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
It's hard to tell from the view I can't see much of it but it doesn't look tubular. So my guess is it's stock
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 93 lx long tube headers problems

Pull those plugs out and stuff some paper towel or rag into the holes, otherwise you stand a good chance of breaking them.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #20
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
It's hard to tell from the view I can't see much of it but it doesn't look tubular. So my guess is it's stock
imthink i was looking at the pic wrong lol. its hard to see. but i say your technique may work.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
I searched the problem on google and found it in another forum and several agreed that was the only way.
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 93 lx long tube headers problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000 View Post
I searched the problem on google and found it in another forum and several agreed that was the only way.
Good researching.
Lifting the car and engine is the only way to install some long tube headers.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
93_347foxbody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
I did take the plugs out after. I couldn't try today bc its been pouring but as of now still no luck. I might just put my shortys back on and bend some tubing to fit to the shorty catted h pipe I'm gonna wait till school starts to put it on the lift in my shop its only a month to wait. I don't wanna keep trying bc I wanna drive it lol. And I only have basic tools here
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:47 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.