302 block - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
302 block

Which is the best aftermarket 302 block? Dart, world class, boss 302??? Anyone using an after market block? Nd where did you purchase it? Looking to buy an aftermarket block.
Adam331Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam331Fastback
Which is the best aftermarket 302 block? Dart, world class, boss 302??? Anyone using an after market block? Nd where did you purchase it? Looking to buy an aftermarket block.
They're all good blocks. What u want to ask yourself is what are u gonna do with it? Keep it 302? Or go 347 363? I personally have a Boss 302 crate motor supercharged.
Meansaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well ill tell you what happen i build a 331 ran great had it for 2 years nd along the years ive had lil part failiers such as one of my dog bones that hold the lifter straight broke nd messed up my cam nd through metal every where, so i took it all apart the mains nd cam bearings were fine so i put it bak, ran it for another yr then i started hearing a scratching noise from inside the engine so i took off the oil pan found a piece of cam bearing so then too the cam out which it got stuck bc another cam bearing came off but was still on the cam, it didnt spin nd later look at the block with a cable nd camera nd found i cracked the block where the cam bore is, so now i need a new block nd im spraying a 100 shot of nitrous but never got to use the nitrous bc of this noise which turned out to be the cam bearings lol but im debating on whether to get another stock block or go for the aftermarket, later i would want to turbo it but i really dont know which aftermarket block to go with lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Honestly if you have the money go for the better block. Especially if you want to go for serious horsepower. Myself I supercharged my 302 and blew a head gasket at the track last year. I didn't want to mess with the motor no more being that my car is an original saleen and I wanted to save its original motor. So I went with a Ford Racing Boss crate motor. Looking back that was and expensive decision 😖
Meansaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I get you, i just cant decide lol but i think ill
Figure it out lol
Old 07-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 302 block

The Dart and World blocks may be a bit better, but the Boss blocks will hold up to 1500 HP and they cost a lot less. If you do a block I would seriously consider the Boss 351W block.
More cubes equal more power regardless of how you figure it.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok yeah well i got a windsor block that i did a 408 on with dart pro 1 heads glidden
Victor intake, how much can a stock windsor can take???? I know they are stronger than a 302? Its cause i cracked my 302 block nd got the 331 rotating assembly sitting around now, idk if i should just buy a dart block or just machine another stock block?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam331Fastback View Post
Ok yeah well i got a windsor block that i did a 408 on with dart pro 1 heads glidden
Victor intake, how much can a stock windsor can take???? I know they are stronger than a 302? Its cause i cracked my 302 block nd got the 331 rotating assembly sitting around now, idk if i should just buy a dart block or just machine another stock block?
The stock 351W blocks except the F4TE (see link in Useful Info thread) can hold up to around 600 HP, more (maybe up to 800) if main stud and valley girdles are used.

If you have money to burn buy the Dart block, but the Boss 302 will probably handle what you want to do with it.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ok yeah on that windsor i just a race main support, but a valley girdle i dont have? Do i need it you think? Nd on the boss 302 do i need special cam bearings nd special head gaskets?
Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam331Fastback View Post
Ok yeah on that windsor i just a race main support, but a valley girdle i dont have? Do i need it you think? Nd on the boss 302 do i need special cam bearings nd special head gaskets?
Do you need it? Well yes, no, maybe. It does strengthen and tie together the top of the block so I can definitely see where it would be beneficial. Look up "Valley Girdle Pro" to see it for yourself.

I don't think the Boss 302 block requires any special bearings or gaskets unless they have a tall deck version. As long as you stay with the short deck version like the stock 5.0 block I believe you will be ok.
One thing I would do if building a new engine is to have the bottom of the heads and the block deck surfaced to specs for the MLS gaskets. They work really good, but require a special machined finish to work properly. You can find the specs on the Cometic website. I believe it is a 50 RA finish, but check that to be sure.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thank you for the info i really appreciate it! Nd yeah i got some thinking to do lol
Old 07-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

You're Welcome & Good Luck with your project.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT