First wiring project and I'm confused - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
First wiring project and I'm confused

Fixed the amperage issue. I tried many combinations of things to fix the amps but the only thing that really worked was getting rid of the underdriven crank pulley. Now, I can wire up my fans. I bought the same kit as dreamstang but I am soooo confused on how to wire all of this up. Need Help with where these wires go and which wires are what. The controller came with instructions but not really sure on how to do this.
89Saleen141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: First wiring project and I'm confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Saleen141 View Post
Fixed the amperage issue. I tried many combinations of things to fix the amps but the only thing that really worked was getting rid of the underdriven crank pulley. Now, I can wire up my fans. I bought the same kit as dreamstang but I am soooo confused on how to wire all of this up. Need Help with where these wires go and which wires are what. The controller came with instructions but not really sure on how to do this.
Post a good picture of the instructions and I'll see if I can't help you simplify them.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks so much. I found a pdf online for the instructions.

http://static.summitracing.com/globa.../der-16749.pdf

And here are some of the wires and connecting stuff I got.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000294.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	700.0 KB
ID:	60602   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000295.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	476.1 KB
ID:	60603  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Ok, start with the first thing you do not understand and I will help you figure it out as we go.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Alrite, first off it says to have the loose red wire connect to the 5/16 ring terminal. The loose red wires is the one by itself? and how do I connect them?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Alrite, first off it says to have the loose red wire connect to the 5/16 ring terminal. The loose red wires is the one by itself? and how do I connect them?
Yes and you will need a good set of wire crimpers to crimp the ends on.

This style does not work very well and the wires/ends will eventually wiggle loose and cause problems.

This style is much better and makes a long lasting good crimp.

These are the ones I use and I have yet to have a crimped terminal cause any problems.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Alrite so I found that style crimper laying around thankfully, now i just use the wire stripper to expose some of the copper wiring and run it through the ring terminal and crimp it to the metal part?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Alrite so I found that style crimper laying around thankfully, now i just use the wire stripper to expose some of the copper wiring and run it through the ring terminal and crimp it to the metal part?
Yes, make sure you position the split in the terminal lug opposite from the little nib on the crimper. Otherwise it will just deform the lug and not secure the wire properly. Also when stripping off the outer insulation, only take of enough for the exposed wires to barely poke through the lug.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Yes, make sure you position the split in the terminal lug opposite from the little nib on the crimper. Otherwise it will just deform the lug and not secure the wire properly. Also when stripping off the outer insulation, only take of enough for the exposed wires to barely poke through the lug.
If you need to see pictures on any procedures you can usually Google search for images and find what you need.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Alrite, I looked up the pics and I see how its supposed to look, thanks. I'll post up my next question when I get off work. How do I tell the positive from negative wire on the fans?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
USUALY black will be negative. but it will probably run either way. what you want to do is try black as negative and hook it up straight to the battery. you want to make sure that the fan is pulling air towards the motor. that is key. if its pushing air toward the front of the car then it wont be afective.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
USUALY black will be negative. but it will probably run either way. what you want to do is try black as negative and hook it up straight to the battery. you want to make sure that the fan is pulling air towards the motor. that is key. if its pushing air toward the front of the car then it wont be afective.
Yes, the motor will run wired either way and you want to make sure it is pulling air through the radiator and blowing it over the engine.

Wire colors may vary from different manufacturers, but normal 12V DC motor connections are black is ground and red is power.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Alrite, now do I have to cut the loose red wire and use another ring terminal in order to use both electric fans?

This is the wire that leads from the positive fan lead to the battery. And how do I hook this wire up to the battery?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Alrite, now do I have to cut the loose red wire and use another ring terminal in order to use both electric fans?

This is the wire that leads from the positive fan lead to the battery. And how do I hook this wire up to the battery?
Yes, if there are two fans you will need another wire unless they are already wired together from the supplier. If they are wired together make sure the wire from the battery to the fans is large enough to carry the amperage load of both fans together.

I would connect them at the battery with another ring terminal bolted to the clamping bolt on the battery cable end and add a fuse holder and fuse right off the terminal to protect the fan/wiring from the battery to the fans. The fused will need to be sized to the amperage of the motors. Say the motors draw 20 amps each, then I would use a 25 amp fuse for each motor. Wired together they would require a 45-50 amp fuse.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

I just looked at the drawing again. It appears that the control/relay will handle a 25 Amp load. (25-30 Amps requires a 10 gauge wire, but you can get by with a 12 gauge in some instances.)
What is the amperage of your fan motors?
If together they exceed the 25 Amps you will need two separate relays/controls.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It said online that its 11 amps. I'm really confused now. How can the tiny ring terminal get hooked up to the battery?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
It said online that its 11 amps. I'm really confused now. How can the tiny ring terminal get hooked up to the battery?
What is 11 Amps?
If it is the fans, then get a name and model number and look up the specifications to be sure.

Read your instructions. It tells you that the 5/16" ring terminals connect to the battery.
They go on to the bolt that clamps the battery cable end on the battery. That will be the last connection you make so you don't have to deal with a hot wire when you are installing the wiring and components.

If you are this lost on how to do this, maybe you had better have a shop do it?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i just wanna save the extra cash and its pretty fun trying to do this on my own with your guy's help. Alrite, well i see where that goes now, and i figured out how the butt connectors work. I found that it draws 11.4 amps together. Now, the connections on the electric fan are weird compared to the wires i got. Here's how they look. How do i use the butt connecter to connect this to the copper wire?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000299 (2).jpg
Views:	137
Size:	551.4 KB
ID:	60985  
Old 07-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #19
Road Trip!

You probably will just have to cut those connectors in the pic off and use the butt connectors unless you have the proper female connectors that natch those.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah i just wanna save the extra cash and its pretty fun trying to do this on my own with your guy's help. Alrite, well i see where that goes now, and i figured out how the butt connectors work. I found that it draws 11.4 amps together. Now, the connections on the electric fan are weird compared to the wires i got. Here's how they look. How do i use the butt connecter to connect this to the copper wire?
The fans only draw 11.4 Amps with both of them running?
If so, that makes me wonder if they will even move enough air to cool the engine?

Those look like "bullet" connectors, did they send you the other half of each one?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Nope, that's all i got. No instructions online or on paper.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter

If those are on the power cord for the fans, then you have the option of trying to find the other half of them at the auto parts store or, cutting them off and just using some butt connectors and shrink tube.

Anything you don't understand how to use, instead of me trying to post up a long possibly confusing "How To", I would rather you just did a Google search for the How To if you don't mind.

Example: Shrink Tubing - Search for "How to use shrink tubing."
Old 07-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you very much for all of your help, patience, and time. I greatly appreciate it. The last question will be, what do you suggest I do with the yellow wire and green wire?
Old 07-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #24
Road Trip!

For the yellow you need to find a 12 volt power source that is only on when the key is on. The best place is a spare fuse in the fuse box.

I used a similar switch. And I didn't use the green wire. It is optional. I'm not exactly sure on the pros and cons.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #25
Road Trip!
Supporter

Green Wire: Override Circuit (Optional)

The green wire is designed to work in two different configurations. When used, this will allow the fan(s) to be turned on regardless of the temperature of the thermostat as it simply overrides all other functions. If you choose to not use this option cut any exposed copper and tape or shrink wrap the end of the wire.

1. A/C Override - Using the Blue Wire Tap provided, attach the green wire to the positive lead on the air conditioning compressor.

2. Manual Switch Override - Attach the Green Wire to the manual switch (not provided).
For Manual Switch installation always follow manufactures instructions.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT