trick flow - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
dray492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
If I buy this does it mean I will have 350hp or it can handle up to that http://www.trickflow.com/largeimage....S-K514-350-370
dray492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Forum Car Trader
Regular
 
90GTNovi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,150
If you buy what?

And prob holds up to 490
__________________
90GTNovi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
dray492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
It's a top end kit
dray492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray492
It's a top end kit
The top end is 360hp on a 306 at the flywheel.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

It will handle more than that though.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
dray492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
Is it worth the $
dray492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
aegischief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 492
I had the twisted wedge heads, track heat intake on my cobra but used a b303 cam instead. I picked up the heads and intake at a swap meet on the cheap.

I loved the setup.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
dray492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegischief
I had the twisted wedge heads, track heat intake on my cobra but used a b303 cam instead. I picked up the heads and intake at a swap meet on the cheap.
I already have a cam and I think I have gt40 heads. So should I just get the intake?
dray492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
The kit is definitely worth it if you have the money for it. The gt40 heads leave a lot to be desired compared to the twisted wedge heads. Also what cam are you using?

If you're thinking about getting just an intake the explorer intake would be fine with your set up, unless you're dead set on the trick flow.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
dray492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
The kit is definitely worth it if you have the money for it. The gt40 heads leave a lot to be desired compared to the twisted wedge heads. Also what cam are you using?

If you're thinking about getting just an intake the explorer intake would be fine with your set up, unless you're dead set on the trick flow.
I'm not sure. It had it when I bought it. Is there any way to find out?

The previous owner was some chick that talked her dad into buying of for her. She kept it for 6 months then traded it to me because she couldn't afford the gas. They didn't know either. It lopes though so they assumed it has a cam. My mechanic also said it sounds like it has a nice cam in it
dray492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray492

I'm not sure. It had it when I bought it. Is there any way to find out?

The previous owner was some chick that talked her dad into buying of for her. She kept it for 6 months then traded it to me because she couldn't afford the gas. They didn't know either. It lopes though so they assumed it has a cam. My mechanic also said it sounds like it has a nice cam in it
Post a video up, we may be able to help identify it. The only way to be 100% is to pull the timing cover and check the numbers on the end of the cam.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
dray492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
This is right after a cold start
dray492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
McNassty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 600
It looks like you have a stock intake not a GT40, the intake runners don't look like their offset
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
dray492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNassty
It looks like you have a stock intake not a GT40, the intake runners don't look like their offset
I wasn't sure but if its not stock why would I be able to spank, like leave in the dust spank another stock 5.0. Also I said the heads might be gt40 not intake, just saying. The only reason I think the heads aren't stock is because everything I find on Google show a 10 or l0 stamped on the top left corner of the drivers side head right next to the head cover. But mine says 20.


I'll post a pic 1 second
dray492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
dray492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120725_012244.png
Views:	82
Size:	936.7 KB
ID:	60771
dray492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: trick flow

The difference in using the whole kit with the better heads and matched components usually goes something like this.

I ran against an 89 GT Mustang once during an arm drop, no time race (timing system was down).
He had GT40 heads, explorer intake, E303 cam and 3.73 gears.


I had Edelbrock RPM aluminum heads, ported Cobra intake, X303 cam and 3.55 gears.


The better heads and a better matched (to my combo) intake and cam allowed me to beat him by about 6 car lengths or more.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
dray492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
The difference in using the whole kit with the better heads and matched components usually goes something like this.

I ran against an 89 GT Mustang once during an arm drop, no time race (timing system was down).
He had GT40 heads, explorer intake, E303 cam and 3.73 gears.

I had Edelbrock RPM aluminum heads, ported Cobra intake, X303 cam and 3.55 gears.

The better heads and a better matched (to my combo) intake and cam allowed me to beat him by about 6 car lengths or more.
But if I'm stock why would I beat another stock by so much? We ran maybe 100ft each race and our from a stop race I pulled ahead a car length very quickly. I also I think term is sand bagged (didnt push as hard as I could have) him for a second before taking off on him. I know there could be error on his part like shifting but still it was like he was in a 4cyl
dray492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: trick flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray492 View Post
But if I'm stock why would I beat another stock by so much? We ran maybe 100ft each race and our from a stop race I pulled ahead a car length very quickly. I also I think term is sand bagged (didnt push as hard as I could have) him for a second before taking off on him. I know there could be error on his part like shifting but still it was like he was in a 4cyl
There could be many reasons.
Driver error, tune, bad plugs or wires, dirty air filter or MAF, bad gas, loss of traction, etc., etc..
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:34 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray492

I wasn't sure but if its not stock why would I be able to spank, like leave in the dust spank another stock 5.0. Also I said the heads might be gt40 not intake, just saying. The only reason I think the heads aren't stock is because everything I find on Google show a 10 or l0 stamped on the top left corner of the drivers side head right next to the head cover. But mine says 20.

I'll post a pic 1 second
Those numbers don't mean anything that I know of. One of my gt40p heads has a 7 the other is 11. My 90 has stock heads and one is 21 the other is 20. Look for the vertical bars on the front of the heads for identification.

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 AM ----------

Also sounds like the stock cam, does sound good though.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 29
Re: trick flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray492 View Post
If I buy this does it mean I will have 350hp or it can handle up to that http://www.trickflow.com/largeimage....S-K514-350-370
The kit will give you 350 HP on a 306 ci motor at the flywheel which normally will give you about 290-310 at the tires. The kit will handle more than that on spray or a supercharged/ turbo application.
Gregg@TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: trick flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg@TFS View Post
The kit will give you 350 HP on a 306 ci motor at the flywheel which normally will give you about 290-310 at the tires. The kit will handle more than that on spray or a supercharged/ turbo application.
Thanks for the confirmation Gregg.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:23 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.