New 87 GT Mod question please help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #1

Region: Arkansas
New 87 GT Mod question please help

Just got my first fox body that's totally stock 5spd. Did a tune up and still had a slight hesitation every now and again so decided to get 19# injectors. After taking off the intake decided I'd try to find replacements so I got both upper and lower explorer intakes. Going to change from sd to maf and also a throttle body. What size maf and tb should I get? Will also be getting headers with full exhaust soon. My plan is to do every possible mod I need that's not too expensive including suspension and then will spray 125 shot. All advice on what to do to this car would be much appreciated including what cam I could run with stock internals. Thank you for your time.
AgPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPilot
Just got my first fox body that's totally stock 5spd. Did a tune up and still had a slight hesitation every now and again so decided to get 19# injectors. After taking off the intake decided I'd try to find replacements so I got both upper and lower explorer intakes. Going to change from sd to maf and also a throttle body. What size maf and tb should I get? Will also be getting headers with full exhaust soon. My plan is to do every possible mod I need that's not too expensive including suspension and then will spray 125 shot. All advice on what to do to this car would be much appreciated including what cam I could run with stock internals. Thank you for your time.

Gears
Short Shifter
TB 70mm ( Idk about MAF )
Long tune headers/ X Pipe / Mufflers
Try to get GT40X Heads or get your heads ported and polished
Cam ( Ford .. Ecam Bcam Xcam Etc. )
Tune

Explorer Intake Manifold is same as Cobra
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: New 87 GT Mod question please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPilot View Post
First convert it to MAF.
Any changes in air flow capabilities of the engine will cause it to run poorly as the SD cannot compensate for them like the MAF system can.

Use a 75MM or larger MAF - I like the Abaco MAF as it is tunable with a laptop or desktop PC if you change injector sizes at a later date.

Use a 65MM or 70MM TB depending on what mods you make to the engine.
You always want your air intake and exhaust systems to resemble a funnel. Tapering down on the intake side to increase the flow velocity and tapering up on the exhaust side to allow for the rapid expansion and expulsion of the exhaust gases.

Get a 190 LPH fuel pump, change your fuel filter and get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

You camshaft choice will depend on the extent of your mods. Go to CamQuest.com and input your engine combo, then select your cam based on their recommendations.

Install some full length sub-frame connectors with the seat supports. I like the Maximum Motorsports connectors.

Remove the quad shocks and install new upper and lower aftermarket control arms. I like the UMI Lift Bars and adjustable uppers myself.

Use a "wet" nitrous system so you can tune for the correct amount of fuel and reduce the risk of detonation and serious engine damage.

Your best choice would be to install a complete HCI/Top End Kit. The Trickflow kit can provide you with around 350 flywheel HP and 290 -310 Rear Wheel HP when installed on a stock 5.0 engine

With a 5-speed most people choose the 3.73 gears. If you intend to race a lot and are less concerned about highway fuel mileage (there is not a huge difference anyways) I would go with the 4.10 gears.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT