msd ignition wire spark problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
92302gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 16
msd ignition wire spark problem

So my 92gt had a weird idle so open the hood while engine was running & one of the wires had a little rip and a spark was really visible...i put black tape(electric tape) for now...is it gonna last long or bad thing or just leave the car alone till i replace the wire
Thanks
92302gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
McNassty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 600
Your gonna need to change the plug wire, if not you will start getting spark knock and it'll pretty much give you a dead cylinder
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
I would replace asap. But I would still drive it with electral tape on it. Just not for a long time.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
McNassty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 600
Electrical tape won't last long under hood with those temps
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNassty
Electrical tape won't last long under hood with those temps
No it won't.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
McNassty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 600
I get this problem a lot because my ceramic coated headers love melting my $150 spark plug wires. I have em wrapped with heat wrap but not as much as I'd like. Eventually I'll take them off and wrap em right. But long story short, your gonna want to change that plug pretty quick or else your 'stang is gonna run like ****
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNassty
I get this problem a lot because my ceramic coated headers love melting my $150 spark plug wires. I have em wrapped with heat wrap but not as much as I'd like. Eventually I'll take them off and wrap em right. But long story short, your gonna want to change that plug pretty quick or else your 'stang is gonna run like ****
Yeah I use wire heat protector booties. They were 30$ from summit and work great.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
McNassty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 600
Yeah, I've been thinking about getting those but they would just be for the short run cause I really want to wrap my headers to reduce under hood temps. But it's a PIA to take off and reinstall headers but thanks for the reminder, I'm calling Summit tomorrow. My wife hates when I call them cause I never stop at just one item lol
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNassty
Yeah, I've been thinking about getting those but they would just be for the short run cause I really want to wrap my headers to reduce under hood temps. But it's a PIA to take off and reinstall headers but thanks for the reminder, I'm calling Summit tomorrow. My wife hates when I call them cause I never stop at just one item lol
Haha. My wife isn't a big fan of summit calls either.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #10
Registered User
Newbie
 
92302gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 16
Yeah
Thing is they are Ford Racing wires so if i just replace 1 like @ Autozone or something is gonna look ugly..lol
Guess ill pay $50 and get the set again
92302gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
McNassty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92302gt
Yeah
Thing is they are Ford Racing wires so if i just replace 1 like @ Autozone or something is gonna look ugly..lol
Guess ill pay $50 and get the set again
That's what I used to do, just be sure to save the old ones just in case and if it happens again you'll have spares. Eventually save up and buy a spool kit. It comes with 50 feet of wire and connectors and you just cut to fit when needed
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: msd ignition wire spark problem

Buy a better set of wires to begin with.

The MSD Super Conductors or the Thundervolt 50's are much better wires than the Ford Racing wires.

Plug wires can be better temporarily repaired using high temp silicone and shrink tubing.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
Registered User
Newbie
 
92302gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 16
K ill look into those
Thanks
92302gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:46 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.