What do yall think about a sct 4 bank eliminator chip for a 87 mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
What do yall think about a sct 4 bank eliminator chip for a 87 mustang?

I Have the maf conversion already if this helps.
It's says it gives you free tunes for life. How noticeable are the hp gains? If you had or have one on your foxbody share what you know about it. I'm thinking of getting from american muscle but I gotta ask my fellow stang enthusiasts to see if it's worth it or not.
Haav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Mine was noticeably different on each tune. I wouldn't bother getting it unless you have at least done a h/c/I swap.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
But they don't give a tune for that. A tune on a stock car make a difference but I never had one on this car i just got a 87 mustang my self and wondered too but the reviews were good. Is a mass air flow required for the chip
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
If I remember correctly the only to ecu options were the a9l and a9p, so I would figure a mass air conversion would be required.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: What do yall think about a sct 4 bank eliminator chip for a 87 mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haav View Post
I Have the maf conversion already if this helps.
It's says it gives you free tunes for life. How noticeable are the hp gains? If you had or have one on your foxbody share what you know about it. I'm thinking of getting from american muscle but I gotta ask my fellow stang enthusiasts to see if it's worth it or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerofdoom View Post
But they don't give a tune for that. A tune on a stock car make a difference but I never had one on this car i just got a 87 mustang my self and wondered too but the reviews were good. Is a mass air flow required for the chip
Unless you have significant mods on a Fox Body engine, a chip is a waste of time and money IMO. They won't do anything for you that your ECU and you can do yourself.

Just keep it tuned up good and save for those mods.
Like previously mentioned the HCI mod will really give your HP a kick the the @55, then you'll have something to tune for too.

I would not be myself if I didn't mention that I consider chips to be a waste of time and money for our cars in most cases anyways.

Note: This is just my opinion and I'm sure lots of people will disagree with me and say that my preferred choice of the AFM PMS & a wideband is to expensive. If you think about it though and start adding up the costs of the chip, dyno tuning and reburning the chip every time you want to make changes, then you can see that my preference begins to make sense.

Don't get me wrong about the dyno tuning. It can be very helpful in eking out the maximum HP, but they also do that in a semi controlled environment and once you leave that environment and the temperature and humidity changes your tune will be off a bit. Therefore I believe that tuning with the PMS and a wideband can be more beneficial because you can adjust your tune "on the fly" so to speak.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
True that, ima just save for some parts, I prefer brute force rather than fancy chipz for this mustang I currently have .next mod is gonna be 3.73 gears then the heads. I already have a small performance cam installed but will I be able to use the same one for the heads?
Haav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: What do yall think about a sct 4 bank eliminator chip for a 87 mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haav View Post
True that, ima just save for some parts, I prefer brute force rather than fancy chipz for this mustang I currently have .next mod is gonna be 3.73 gears then the heads. I already have a small performance cam installed but will I be able to use the same one for the heads?
Yes, it may not be optimal, but it will work.

Go to - LINK: CamQuest
Put in your engine info and let them help choose your cam so it will be matched up with your mods. Compare their chosen cam's specs and see how closely what you have matches it.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT