Added my mods...now what? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #1

Region: Arkansas
Added my mods...now what?

Stock 87 gt 5 spd. Added trick flow street heat upper/lower intake, 65mm tb, maf and computer, msd, new 19lb injectors, cai. Bought but haven't added long tube bbk and h pipe. This car is for daily driving and Sunday drag racing. My get list are 3:73, subframe connectors, heads and cam. When I installed the intake a few days ago I didn't have the money for the heads or cam and now unexpectedly I do have the funds. Oh yeah I also got a 150-200 nos kit. My question is which aluminum heads and cam would be the best for my setup. What other mods do I need? Under drive pulleys a big help? Aluminum driveshaft? If I was to get a 331 stroker would my aluminum 302 heads fit it or not? Thanks alot.
AgPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPilot
Stock 87 gt 5 spd. Added trick flow street heat upper/lower intake, 65mm tb, maf and computer, msd, new 19lb injectors, cai. Bought but haven't added long tube bbk and h pipe. This car is for daily driving and Sunday drag racing. My get list are 3:73, subframe connectors, heads and cam. When I installed the intake a few days ago I didn't have the money for the heads or cam and now unexpectedly I do have the funds. Oh yeah I also got a 150-200 nos kit. My question is which aluminum heads and cam would be the best for my setup. What other mods do I need? Under drive pulleys a big help? Aluminum driveshaft? If I was to get a 331 stroker would my aluminum 302 heads fit it or not? Thanks alot.
Get list sounds good.

Any top brand heads will do the trick. I would make sure they have the upgraded flang to hold the head tight with the nos.

As for the cam. Once you decide on your heads and exact combo I would leave that to a professional. Having the right cam is key. And I'm sure a few guys will tell you what works good for them. But to get the most power I would leave it to an expert.

I would stray away from the ud pulleys also. Countless people on here have problems with them. Our cars don't take them very well. Almost everyone seems to have charging issues and even some have cooling issues.

I would also upgrage your injectors once you go stroked and hci.

A 331 is a 302. It just has different bore and stroke. So all bolt ons are the same
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #3

Region: Arkansas
Alright cool man thanks Alot. Hci? Heads cam intake? Heads are considered a bolt on?
AgPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPilot
Alright cool man thanks Alot. Hci? Heads cam intake? Heads are considered a bolt on?
Yes hci= heads cam Intake

I'm not sure what others consider heads. But in my book they do bolt on. But what I was getting at is its the same motor with different crank, rods and the bore machined out.

And your welcome.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Added my mods...now what?

You have the Trick Flow intake, I would go with the matching Trick Flow heads and cam.Tell them you will be running nitrous and let Trick Flow choose. They will know what will work best for your combination.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT