Alternator burned - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #1

Region: Maryland
Alternator burned

My alternator plug melted and burned and it's screwed. I'm on my way to a massive junk yard to take one off another car. Not 100% sure what I'm doing to be honest so any tips would be awsome. Thanks
89lx5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Try to get as much of the harness as you can probably. But I'm guessing your most likely gonna have to splice it together. Make sure you crimp it together nice and tight with a good set of crimpers. And it would be a good idea to use some shrink tube over the connections.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Alternator burned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lx5.0 View Post
My alternator plug melted and burned and it's screwed. I'm on my way to a massive junk yard to take one off another car. Not 100% sure what I'm doing to be honest so any tips would be awsome. Thanks
Look up some of the links on the 3G alternator upgrade for size info and replace that wire with a heavier gauge unless it is a fusible link wire.

If it is a fusible link then it needs to remain the same size and you will need to identify why it burned up.

Any connections you make when splicing in a wire should be crimped and soldered to ensure you have a good connection. You put some soldering paste on the wires, crimp the connector, then solder it to complete the connection properly. Don't forget to slide some shrink tube on the wires before joining them together.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #4

Region: Maryland
Ok so I couldn't find one at the the junk yard so I got one at auto zone and I got lucky finding the plug at a little shop. I installed it the way you said solder and everything and it's up and running. As for what caused it, could it have just been the old alternator? It was original
89lx5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
Prob. The alternator over amping, or the wires melted together or something, that's cool you got it fixed. Next time if it's cheaper to you just get a 130 amp alt. from a 94+ mustang and the wires they are 4 gauge, this is a cheap lil add on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT