Starter problem.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Starter problem..

I have an 89 gt.. I been having tge problem of the stater staying on.. I changed the solenoid three times and yesterday the starter..and I try to turn it on and the starter keeps working without the key til I disconnect the battery..some options would be good..thank you..
89 Foxloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Starter problem..

It's either bad solenoids or the key switch is sticking on.When it does that pull off the small wire on the solenoid side post.
If that stops it then it's the key switch, if not, then it is the solenoid sticking.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Pull off which wire from the solenoid?? The starter cable the battery cable on the solenoid or tge small once in the middle??

---------- Post added at 07:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

I took my battery to get it checked and they said that the battery cells were messed up..tge battery was charged but the cells were bad..idk if thats a possibility.. And by any chance do you know if the starter has a relay?? thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #4

Region: New Mexico
He is talking about the small one in the middle. If a signal wire from your switch that excites the solenoid. If you pull it and stops its the switch sticking like Trojan horse said.
88stang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88stang5.0
He is talking about the small one in the middle. If a signal wire from your switch that excites the solenoid. If you pull it and stops its the switch sticking like Trojan horse said.
well I checked that already and note its not that.. :/ thanks though
Old 08-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I would start chasing the wires on the starter and silinoid. You probably have a short on one of those wires.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thats what I'll probably do tonight or tomorrow morning cuz with this heat in Cali I just want to get gone from work and drink something cold..lol
Old 08-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Starter problem..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Foxloco View Post
I took my battery to get it checked and they said that the battery cells were messed up..tge battery was charged but the cells were bad..idk if thats a possibility.. And by any chance do you know if the starter has a relay?? thanks..
The solenoid is the starter relay and no bad cells in the battery won't cause that.
Like I said previously the issue is in the ignition switch or the solenoid.

Also, make sure your engine is grounded really good. You pull a lot of amperage through there when starting the engine. The negative battery cable should be bolted to the engine block or head somewhere (make sure it is clean!) and you should have another wire 4 or 6 gauge going to the frame and another 8-10 gauge to the firewall. You can never have to many grounds and you need to ensure the engine and all of the electronics including the ECU are well grounded. I like to use internal star lock washers on both sides of the cable ends where they bolt to the engine, frame and firewall to make sure the connections are good.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

The solenoid is the starter relay and no bad cells in the battery won't cause that.
Like I said previously the issue is in the ignition switch or the solenoid.

Also, make sure your engine is grounded really good. You pull a lot of amperage through there when starting the engine. The negative battery cable should be bolted to the engine block or head somewhere (make sure it is clean!) and you should have another wire 4 or 6 gauge going to the frame and another 8-10 gauge to the firewall. You can never have to many grounds and you need to ensure the engine and all of the electronics including the ECU are well grounded. I like to use internal star lock washers on both sides of the cable ends where they bolt to the engine, frame and firewall to make sure the connections are good.
Thank you guys so much..I had a short between the solenoid and the stater..this morning got it runing like the beauty she is..time to install her gifts..lol.. Appreciate the help..
Old 08-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Your welcome.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT