Really really need ac help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Really really need ac help

Have my 90 gt I recently spent over 900 bucks buying new hose wizard ac kit, brand new evaporator and fan clutch. This damn ac blows nice and cold in morning or at night once it hits 85 degrees it's cool at best. I put the exact amount of freon the system calls for and so far it has prooven to be a waste of almost a thousand dollars. I already checked and made sure the temperature been door cable was adjusted properly and all. 50resto tells me to call Glenn at hose wizard and when I talk to him it's almost like just hanging parts. First he says the cycle switch is bad. I replaced it twice and no change, then tells me I need a new fan clutch but mine is
New and then he says the one I have is garbage. Then he tells me to adjust the cycle switch down till it hits a certain temperature and watch my gauges but it's so hit outside the compressor is just gonna stay engaged and pressures will. It drop. I'm pissed off and just want to fix my ac cause down here in south Louisiana, it is too brutal.
Nicolosi11480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Really really need ac help

you say the refridgerent is filled, but did you fill to the correct amount of oil? you can have plenty of one but not the other
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The compressor is prefilled with oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What's the shape of your condenser coil? Clean, bent up, dirty? Sounds like when it's hot you can't get rid of the heat...I know you say it's filled correctly but over charging can cause high head pressure which when it's hot out will not cool as well....when its not cooling do you here the compressor cycle a lot or run constantly? I'm just spit balling with what you have on the table
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I used a ac machine to fill the system so it definetely isn't over filled. The condensor is brand
New. The entire ac system is brand spanking new. That's why I'm screwed up. When it's 90 degrees outside the pressure when I look at the gauges slowly climbs and the clutch stays engaged. I was told when ambient temp is hot the cycle time will either increase or stay engaged. So if I am not getting enough air across the condensor, what do I do for that? My fan clutch is
Brand new from Oriely and when it works it howls. I don't want to go electric fans. Then I have to buy fans and controls and upgrade alternator and I just don't wanna spend all this money just to go electric
Old 08-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
You may have air in the system. Did you purge the hose before you started charging
Jeff44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So does the compressor eventually shut off when your pressure climbs to a certain psi?
Old 08-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Really really need ac help

Did you vacuum out and clean the system before you refilled it?

This part if not replaced (accumulator/drier it's called I think) can fail and the desiccant bag can burst and the filter can fail, sometimes sending debris into the system.

Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I pulled vacuum on it for half an hour. As far as pressure I don't let it climb that high when I have gauges on it. As I said its cool not cold unless outside temperature is below 85-90 degrees.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm a I'll confused? How do you not let the pressure climb that high if it's gonna do it on its own? Do you turn it off before a certain pressure? Its difficult to understand, if you are hooked on with gauges and you turn on the ac normally and let it run does the head pressure (the red gauge) get real high? What does it run at? Another question is when you have it running does your compressor shut off or stay running constantly?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My pressure stays and rises like very slowly. It would probably take 45 minutes to an hour to get to shut off point if it would get that high I'm not waiting for that.. The clutch stays engaged. Does it ever shut off? No the air just doesn't turn cold just stays cool until ambient temperature drops. Now does the compressor cycle when the air is actually cold? Yea

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

And I must mention. High fan speed is useless best vent temperature I can get is maybe 55 degrees in the shade
Old 08-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

What are your pressures on both gauges? I'm an ac tech but it's hard to diagnose over text
Old 08-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I understand man. It's hard to explain everything as well. last time I checked and I will say was about, a week ago it was about 93 degrees outside my low side was around 35 and very very slowly rising. High side will be around 225 and very very slowly rise. Vent temperature around 56 degrees give or take with no compressor cycle. Clutch stays engaged. Funny thing is below 85 degrees everything seems normal
Old 08-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

With an outside temp of 90ish and a suction pressure like that I would think you're undercharged
Old 08-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I could add more freon. I honestly don't remover how much freon Glenn from hose wizard said to put in, he seemed very strict on it but I can always add more. The kit I have is not stock. Sandra compressor, different condensor high pressure switch added 50resto sells the kit so it isnt stock but they claim 36 degree vent temps and obviously haven't hit that yet.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well I know on a lot of applications I work on like small r 134a systems I put in what the factory charge is and when I fire it up it's still low a couple ounces...I actually just fixed a coke machine and with the factory charge it would read 0 psi when running and I added 3 oz and perfect! If you have a clamp to read your suction line temp you can look for a chart that tells you the relation of your line temp to your psi
Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Did you ever get it fixed?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT